PDA

View Full Version : Lanc controller with iris control for Canon lens?

Phil
07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Does a Lanc controller with iris control for Canon lens exists? Ive looked & can only see ones for Panasonic...All the other Lanc controllers seem to only have zoom focus & start/stop Has anyone any idea if or how the auto iris works? With 13 stops recording in log raw its obviously not a major issue like that with a 10stop camera but I record long periods in changing light & often cant get to the camera easily. How about via the scopes software? do you have any camera control from the laptop?...that could work for me.

Steve Wake
07-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Well, you can always hope that something like this will have all applicable functions enabled in firmware - though it must involve Sony proprietary hard/firmware :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598524-REG/Sony_RM_1000BP_RM_1000BP_Multifunctional_LANC_Remo te.html

But to tell the truth, I had just been assuming LANC had iris control. I take it for granted on Panny, which I've used exclusively for the last 7 years.

So good question. This may be a hardware and firmware question. Wonder if BMD has something in the works to plug into the BMC LANC socket? Given they already have in-camera control that steps the iris open and closed, seems that could be added to the LANC firmware. But then you need a controller with an iris +/- ... Or could they map a third party controller's zoom control to the iris? Hmm...

Phil
07-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Just now I use a remote control follow focus with a super speed on the SI2K, but I have also Canon 16-35 L .....the super 16 PL lens will not work on the BMC, so Im looking now at having to get a Nikon 14mm prime with a adapter which will be pricy thats got a iris ring that I guess could be modified to work with the follow focus....(but now I read that the wide angle Nikons may not work with a adapter & that they use a backfocus that needs an actual Nikon camera body.

BUT if it turns out that there is iris control out via Lanc to a existing controller I would obviously use the Canon Lens I have....Nothing is ever simple for me.. The other option is obviously a "snooker cue" to push the buttons on the back :-)