PDA

View Full Version : Arranging Clips in Resolve, clip length only?

ChrisL
05-30-2013, 12:23 PM
hello, I am using the latest Resolve with pro res clips from my BMCC and cannot figure out how to list my clips by name, not by clip time length, while in the COLOR window. It is hard to work when clips from one scene are arranged in different areas of the timeline while doing my color grading. If all the clips from the same shot ( ie, same scene with same exposure and color balance ) could be next to each other than I can easily move from one clip to the next, is this possible? Right now I have to find clips spread out of a long timeline and try to remember which memory to load etc.

Jason Greene
05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
This is annoying that Resolve doesn't default to an alphabetical listing of the clips, isn't it?

To get the alphabetical listing, just go to the Conform tab and hit the "+" in the upper-left window. This will create a new timeline. Use the Color tab with this timeline (in the Color tab, you can select the timeline at the top of the preview window).

ChrisL
05-30-2013, 02:12 PM
wow thanks so much, it worked. I called da vinci support and they said this was not possible!

Dwaine
05-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Clips on the Master timeline are sorted in ascending timecode order. When you create a new timeline using the + in the upper window of the Conform page, as described by Jason, the new timeline will be the same as the Master timeline. So I'm confused how just creating a new timeline like this would have gotten you the results you describe. On page 225 of the Resolve manual, it describes how to create a BLANK timeline. If you do this, you can then sort the Media pool on the Conform page using any of the column headings, and then drag the clips into the blank timeline in whatever sorted order you desire.

Page 315 of the Resolve manual describes other timeline sorting options, using A (Record) mode and C (Source) mode display modes, assuming you are working with a conformed timeline.

CaptainHook
05-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Clips on the Master timeline are sorted in ascending timecode order. When you create a new timeline using the + in the upper window of the Conform page, as described by Jason, the new timeline will be the same as the Master timeline.

The master timeline with BMCC footage is just about NEVER in timecode order, only creating a new timeline seems to sort it.