PDA

View Full Version : Want to spend $1,000 - $1,200 on Tripod + Head

wreck2
04-12-2013, 03:20 PM
My BMCC is coming in the mail next week, and want to upgrade my equipment as well. This "Walmart tripod" won't cut it anymore.

I'm looking for a solid tripod in the $1,000 to $1,200 range. I want to it hold a decent amount of weight, since I have a Rhino Slider Pro I want to use with my cam. I'm also getting a cage, external monitor, the whole shebang, plus want it to be future proof for new cameras years down. (I heard to keep the weight to about half of what the tripod can handle, so 30-35lbs tripods + head max for 15lbs of gear?)

I've been trying to research, but sometimes a good recommendation is what you need. Can you guys give me some good ideas for legs + head? :)

Thekreative
04-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I'd say get the manfrotto 510 with a set of sticks for $500 second hand and spend the rest on other stuff. The 510 is always underpriced and built way beyond other manfrotto products except the 526 that replaced it. Many will dis it that haven't used it but I keep having DP's comment on how good it is. Heads alone can get as cheap as a couple of hundred.

mexicanmanchild
04-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I've been using the Manfrotto 546B with with 504 Head.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683563-REG/Manfrotto_504HD_546BK_504HD_Head_w_546B_2_Stage.ht ml

They have a "BlackMagic" kit that comes with a Manfrotto LANC for an extra 200.
I also have the wheels, and they can be handy for certain events and are about 275.
That puts you at about 1,100.

wreck2
04-13-2013, 08:36 PM
After researching all about heads such as the 501, 504, 510, 526, and then legs, such as the 546B, I came across the Manfrotto 3191 legs. (Thank you for the 510 recommendation, but there's only one listing on eBay in the US, and the tripod is pretty beat up for $750.)

I still don't know what can go with what. (75mm, vs 100mm, can they only fit certain heads?)

Could I get the 3191 legs: http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=330799401802

With the Manfrotto 526 head? (Slightly above budget, but that's fine for the quality.)

Could that combo be used with the Rhino Slider Pro? The 526 head looks like it comes with a long pole. Shows you how much I know high end tripods, lol.

Note Suwanchote
04-15-2013, 02:12 AM
i bought the miller dv10 for $810 after some discounts---sometimes you can get them under $700 on ebay

i recommend miller or sacthler if your going to spend that much

though the miller compass 15 head is much better

MiguelFranco
04-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Go with the Cartoni Focus HD $1300 with cartoni legs, or you can make another kit with another brand's cheaper legs (or use the ones you already have and buy just the head for around $950). It has a good build and its weight range is also good

Rakesh Malik
04-20-2013, 01:41 PM
If portability is a concern, there's always the Gitzo or Really Right Stuff option. I use a Gitzo Mountaineer for most of my work, though for video I would like to get a different head. The head I'm using right now is pretty much perfect for a my monorail, but the only fully controlled movement is panning.

That said, the Mountaineer model I have (series 2 IIRC) is strong and has great ergonomics, but weighs only 2.5 pounds. The new Really Right Stuff carbon fiber tripods that RRS introduced about six months after I got my Gitzo are even beefier for the same actual weight.

I got the Mountaineer + Arca-Swiss monoball with the intention of adding an 8x10 back and bellows and extension rails and big, honkin' lenses that can cover an 8x10 with movements, so I was careful to make sure about load capacities, but that was before I ended up diving headlong into cinematography. Stable it is, but it's not ideal for movements, which you can cure easily enough by using a video head on the Mountaineer.

kicap
04-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Have two sets willing to let go. Can negotiate price for sure!

The link is here as I have posted at two places, one at REDuser and the other is DVXuser.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303245-Miller-Compass25-Alloy-Tripod-and-Studio-Dolly-%28Like-NEW%29&highlight=Miller

Practically Brand-new as buyer made mistake when ordering.

Thanks

matthieu
04-21-2013, 03:26 AM
I ve got 509 head and I'm really happy about it... And you can use it even with heavy rig...

DHartnett
04-21-2013, 03:15 PM
The Manfrotto 509 looks pretty sexy and can take a decent amount of weight for that price point (should you decide you want to throw on an Optimo zoom). I was pretty set on it until I realized tripods and heads are the one thing you're almost always better off renting. The fluid heads worth owning are all in the $3000+ range and rental on them is dirt cheap (20-60 bucks a day for most fluid heads, depending on load/options). Plus if you rent and the movement gets funky you can just send it back and get a new one. There are all kinds of rental houses, film collectives, and co-ops around and 1200 bucks buys another nice lens or a really solid PL adapter (Or in my case one of the new Convergent Design Odyssey7s).

That being said if you absolutely need to buy a tripod get one used.

BrainWar
04-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Cartoni FocusHD is the answer to your budget, no doubt. Sexy or not, the important thing is what gonna be after years of usage. And there you'll hardly find a match for that kind of money.

J.F.R.
04-29-2013, 12:17 PM
The Manfrotto 509 looks pretty sexy and can take a decent amount of weight for that price point (should you decide you want to throw on an Optimo zoom). I was pretty set on it until I realized tripods and heads are the one thing you're almost always better off renting. The fluid heads worth owning are all in the $3000+ range and rental on them is dirt cheap (20-60 bucks a day for most fluid heads, depending on load/options). Plus if you rent and the movement gets funky you can just send it back and get a new one. There are all kinds of rental houses, film collectives, and co-ops around and 1200 bucks buys another nice lens or a really solid PL adapter (Or in my case one of the new Convergent Design Odyssey7s).

That being said if you absolutely need to buy a tripod get one used.

Until you get a call last minute and have to do a shoot........ No matter the budget, Renting never really works and better to have or work with a company that has all of their gear ready to go at anytime of the night you receive that phone call.

MWL
04-30-2013, 02:40 AM
This is a great resource: http://www.dvuser.co.uk/tripods.php

I recommend the 100mm ball. 75 is a little light-weight for when you have a cage + monitor + evf + accessories. Personally I have a Sachtler DV-10 on order. It's the cheapest, decent 100mm fluid head.

DHartnett
05-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Until you get a call last minute and have to do a shoot........ No matter the budget, Renting never really works and better to have or work with a company that has all of their gear ready to go at anytime of the night you receive that phone call.

While this is true and owning a head and tripod is better than not owning one it's just not the first piece of gear I'd buy. You can always beg or borrow a head from somewhere (your results may vary depending on where you live), some of the other bells and whistles (lenses, monitor, waveform, etc) you'll want are harder/more expensive to come by.

My other (poorly made) point about heads is there are few at the $1200 price point that are really worth owning. You have to at least double that before you get much of value. That being said I happened to notice several Vinten and Satchler tripod systems on ebay recently for around $1200 (buyer beware. I have no first hand knowledge of any of their conditions)

I will admit it really depends on how you plan to use your camera though.

innerspark
05-03-2013, 05:56 AM
The new Sirui VH20 plus the aluminum legs will net around $1,200. Sticks rated at 44lbs and the head rated at 33lbs. Enough for a small jib/crane. I've had a great deal of success with their gear, though they are relatively new to the video market.

Justin Carrig
07-09-2013, 02:57 AM
Haven't tried Sirui's VH20 but I bought one of their light weight travel tripods when I was in Beijing last year and the build quality is pretty solid for the price. They are, if you have handled Tilta gear, the Tilta of tripods.

rheex
07-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi guys, I was looking around and I came across the Mantona Dolomit 4000 head and tripod which is around the 1000$ mark. Holds up to 14kgs which is right for the rigged BMCC. I don't seem to find any review around. Her's the Amazon link http://www.amazon.co.uk/mantona-170cm-Dolomit-Tripod-Video/dp/B009GYJ3PE
Anybody had experiences with it?
Cheers

scorsesefan
07-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Sachtler or Miller. I had a Sachtler DV6 that I loved and had to sell :(... Luckily, to my friend so I can go visit...