PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Ultrascope?

Paul Stephen Edwards
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I see that there's a picture view in Ultrascope. I was wondering if that window is capable of being enlarged so that the attached laptop can be used as a monitor. Or would it be best to use a SDI monitor?

laco
06-05-2012, 01:20 AM
I see that there's a picture view in Ultrascope. I was wondering if that window is capable of being enlarged so that the attached laptop can be used as a monitor. Or would it be best to use a SDI monitor?

Attaching a laptop to the camera might sound good in theory, but even in a studio can cause problems.
I have the tvlogic vfm-056wp, they use this monitor with Alexas, and REDs too.

Great panel, true 720p picture, HD-SDI input, output, HDMI input, scopes (Waveform, vectorscope), a lot of exposure features (luma zone, false color), focus peaking, can be powered with sony, and other batteries, etc.etc.

I know it costs a lot, bit it just worths every penny. And this way you can forget the Thunderbolt-Ultrascope solution, because you will have your tools in your monitor.

Paul Stephen Edwards
06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Attaching a laptop to the camera might sound good in theory, but even in a studio can cause problems.

I've never attached a laptop to a camera. What would some of the problems be?

this way you can forget the Thunderbolt-Ultrascope solution, because you will have your tools in your monitor.

The appeal of the Ultrascope is that the tools are in the camera & available for any (Thunderbolt) laptop. I guess I'm just wondering what the difference is between having the scopes in the monitor vs. having them in the camera.

laco
06-10-2012, 07:15 PM
I've never attached a laptop to a camera. What would some of the problems be?

The appeal of the Ultrascope is that the tools are in the camera & available for any (Thunderbolt) laptop. I guess I'm just wondering what the difference is between having the scopes in the monitor vs. having them in the camera.

Where would you put the laptop? Even on a small position change the laptop could be in the way.

If you check the monitor I linked you'll see that it has a lot of exposure tools. Apart from waveform that exists on the Ultrascope too, you will get some nice tools which can tell you exactly which part of your image is clipping.
Range Error mode will let you set two points (lets say 0, and 100) and if a signal goes lower (crushed black), or higher (burning out) it will color that part of the image with a specific color. Other parts of the image will stay colored so you can leave this on all-time.
False color is a tool that I use most, and it has two modes in this monitor. When set to the first mode it will display the image like this: http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/filters/falseCol_images.jpg
When set to the first mode you will have black zebra stripes on parts of the image that has a luma value between 0-5%, white stripes that are 95-100%, and red stripes on a predefined value (most likely set to 75% where skin tends to be)

But! If there's enough room, and a laptop won't be in your way - or when thunderbolt cables will come in 5-10m lengths - Ultrascope would be a nice - and free- option.

Brad Ferrell
06-11-2012, 09:13 AM
I'd considered getting a thunderbolt tablet as an on-set option for getting a read on the exposure and lighting together. I planned on just unplugging it between setups and pluging it back in when it was needed.

rommex
06-12-2012, 01:45 AM
I'd considered getting a thunderbolt tablet as an on-set option for getting a read on the exposure and lighting together. I planned on just unplugging it between setups and pluging it back in when it was needed.

But are you sure a tablet can run Ultrascope??

laco
06-12-2012, 02:03 AM

it's not just about the thunderbolt port...

On the original ultrascope, you need a separate PC/MAC to run Ultrascope, with a hardware card (PCI-E, or USB3), and a GPU with a high texture fill rate.
This ensures that it will be always real-time.

mhood
07-28-2012, 09:58 AM
JB said this on his blog:

You can only get histograms if you do it via the thunderbolt connection and use the (Mac only) ultra scope software.

I have grown quite fond of histograms with my 7D and was hoping to someday use UltraScope on my PC (when ThunderBolt finally gets here for PC laptops). Is UltraScope really Mac only?

Macalincag
07-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Is UltraScope really Mac only?

I think you'll find your answer here, look closely :-)

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/ultrascope/

mhood
07-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I think you'll find your answer here, look closely :-)

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/ultrascope/

Thanks...sorry. The Pocket UltraScope USB3.0 is for me of course but does cost $600 (I would save a bunch of money in the price of a 20 foot USB3 cable as opposed to a 3 foot ThunderBolt cable ;-). JB was talking about the BMC UltraScope bundled software for use with ThunderBolt. I wonder what he meant by "Mac only"?

Macalincag
07-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks...sorry. The Pocket UltraScope USB3.0 is for me of course but does cost $600

Yeah, too bad the camera doesn't come with this or UltraScope would be more readily available for both PC & Mac users.

JB was talking about the BMC UltraScope bundled software for use with ThunderBolt. I wonder what he meant by "Mac only"?

I'm pretty sure JB was referring to the Macbook variety being the only ones with Thunderbolt support, but that's about to change soon being that Thunderbolt is being introduced to PCs sooner and sooner. I know there's an ASUS laptop w/ thunderbolt.

Personally I hope these (http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?307-Windows-8-Thunderbolt-Tablets) will be usable when it's released.

Cedric Akins
07-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks...sorry. The Pocket UltraScope USB3.0 is for me of course but does cost $600 (I would save a bunch of money in the price of a 20 foot USB3 cable as opposed to a 3 foot ThunderBolt cable ;-). JB was talking about the BMC UltraScope bundled software for use with ThunderBolt. I wonder what he meant by "Mac only"?

I think it only works on Mac and not pc.

Macalincag
07-28-2012, 04:46 PM
I think it only works on Mac and not pc.

No. It works on both platforms. Note that when the BMC comes out, there will now be THREE versions of Ultrascope. A PCI-E version, a USB 3.0 pocket version, and the BMC, which is a Thunderbolt version.

John Brawley
07-28-2012, 05:02 PM

you can't resize the window to full screen.

my understanding is the thunderbolt version of ultra scope that works with the camera will ship as Mac only. You can of course buy ultra scope with the USB dongle that works with HD-SDI. Not sure about a PC version. Think it's more to do with thunderbolt.

JB.

mhood
07-28-2012, 05:05 PM
BMD should state that very clearly on their Website.

Macalincag
07-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Not sure about a PC version. Think it's more to do with thunderbolt.

Excluding the BMC, the two other Ultrascope versions are cross platform. Hopefully BM will implement it with the BMC down the line when more PCs start rolling out with Thunderbolt. Seems reasonable.

John Brawley
07-28-2012, 05:10 PM
The same guy that did the original Ultrascop app is working on the camera right now. I'd say they'll look at it once the camera is out and running.

JB.

Paul Stephen Edwards
07-28-2012, 06:39 PM
you can't resize the window to full screen.

my understanding is the thunderbolt version of ultra scope that works with the camera will ship as Mac only. You can of course buy ultra scope with the USB dongle that works with HD-SDI. Not sure about a PC version. Think it's more to do with thunderbolt.

JB.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

Cedric Akins
07-28-2012, 07:23 PM
BMD should state that very clearly on their Website.

I totally agree.

mhood
07-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Wow! The customer reviews for the Pocket UltraScope on Amazon aren't very pretty. One star. It seems nobody got it to work at all on their PC laptops. Ugh!

http://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-UltraScope-Colorists-Computers/dp/B003VQ8SWW

Frank Glencairn
07-29-2012, 06:07 AM
As much as I like BM, but they are always to Mac centric.
Bad idea IMHO, at a time when Apple shifts towards consumer gadgets instead of pro workstations.

Frank