PDA

View Full Version : To (B)lackmagic Or Not to (B)lackmagic...

EdanCo
02-28-2013, 04:56 PM
I have a shoot at the end of April -- an important shoot. A shoot in a remote place where there is no chance of getting new gear if something goes wrong. My plan is to rent the Blackmagic Cam three days before I leave and give myself a crash course. I will also bring my GH2 which I know inside and out. Obviously, I am seduced by RAW and high bit-rate capture -- but -- the more I read on here, the more I think I may be setting myself up for an expensive lesson to learn.

I am in love with the BMC images I see online - especially the Big Sur video - and this will be a landscape heavy shoot, I want a lot of detail. If not the Blackmagic, what is comparable -- is the next step up a Red Scarlet?

Any advice/calming words appreciated. :D

Mestizo Devon
02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
You will have a gh2 for backup
you could add a hyperdeck shuttle for an addition copy

what are you thinking will go wrong?

EdanCo
02-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't know precisely -- do you own a BMC? Would you say you can get up to speed in 2-3 days? Is it rock solid? I realize it has quirks - but is it reliable?

Stephen Mick
02-28-2013, 05:01 PM
To be honest, I think your biggest issues are going to be power and storage, depending on how much you'll be shooting each day. As great a camera as the BMCC is, you may be best served with a second GH2, some additional batteries, and plenty of memory cards.

Without really knowing more, it's hard to say for sure whether the BMCC is the right tool or not.

Mestizo Devon
02-28-2013, 05:05 PM
I do own a BMC ef, you should be able to get up and running in a few days, its a pretty simple layout as it is now. I have not come across any quirks with the camera itself. If the footy is important, make sure you have a backup and you should be fine.

EdanCo
02-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Stephen. I'll be in a place where I have access to electricity -- I won't be camping. I will be able to dump files + recharge batteries. I've planned on bringing 2 SanDisk 480GB hard-drives and external batteries -- so I think I'll be OK there. I can even bring an AF-100 for back-up, but would prefer not to bring it -- another GH2 sounds more ideal.

teh
02-28-2013, 05:06 PM
using such a new camera, especially from a company who is new to the market is always a big risk. Depending on the importance of your project you might want to chose a camera system that has proven to be reliable. On the other hand every camera can fail. Even Alexas fail some time (never seen it happening though). I think it's a good idea to take a with you a 2nd camera which could do the job just in case.

I picked up a BMC at a rental house today and will start shooting a narrative short over the course of two weeks tomorrow. It's a risk no question but it's a personal project and there isn't "too much" money involved. I also bring my 5D2... just in case.

Red Scarlet would probably be the next step, at least money wise but it's a different camera. It has different things that make it a great camera. If you think your GH2 would be good enough to produce a decent outcome of your project I would do what you have planned.

Fluoro
02-28-2013, 05:11 PM
You have a backup GH2. That's all that really matters. The rest is details. Shoot with the BMCC if you want to.

EdanCo
02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
You have a backup GH2. That's all that really matters. The rest is details. Shoot with the BMCC if you want to.

True.

Stephen Mick
02-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Here's the thing…

Having access to electricity is great, but let's say you're going to be away from power for most of the day. You'll get about 90 minutes of life out of the camera between full charges. So if you're out and about, in some amazing place, and having to "ration" your use of a camera because of the lack of battery life, then the camera will be a limitation for you. You can certainly shoot some with the BMCC and some with your GH2. Or you could bring a power/battery solution for the BMCC that would let you shoot for longer periods between charges.

Just be sure whatever you decide, that you allow for plenty of testing before you go.

EdanCo
02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I do plan on bringing external batteries for the BMCC -- no way would I use that internal battery.

Roman
02-28-2013, 05:20 PM
The BMCC was the quickest I ever adapted to any camera... it's kind of like a device that you intuitively know how to use inside and out.. somewhat like when the iPhone first came out. Needless to say, it's all about post- are you prepared for Raw? Will you be installing Resolve? Raw is nothing to sneeze at... if you're not prepared for it. Now if you plan on shooting ProRes... well then, it might even be easier than using your GH2. The footage is a dream to grade... and very light on the NLE- especially compared to hacked GH2 footage. It will take up much less space on the SSD and you'll worry less about logistics (drives, time, software etc.).

Stephen Mick
02-28-2013, 05:23 PM
I do plan on bringing external batteries for the BMCC -- no way would I use that internal battery.

Well, then take the BMCC and shoot it up!

davidd
02-28-2013, 05:23 PM
The BMCC was the quickest I ever adapted to any camera... it's kind of like a device that you intuitively know how to use inside and out.. somewhat like when the iPhone first came out. Needless to say, it's all about post- are you prepared for Raw? Will you be installing Resolve? Raw is nothing to sneeze at... if you're not prepared for it. Now if you plan on shooting ProRes... well then, it might even be easier than using your GH2. The footage is a dream to grade... and very light on the NLE- especially compared to hacked GH2 footage. It will take up much less space on the SSD and you'll worry less about logistics (drives, time, software etc.).

+1

And buy the right SSDīs.

EdanCo
02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
This is better than a self-help group -- thanks, guys!