PDA

View Full Version : Modifying the Lens mount

Kavadni
05-31-2012, 07:47 PM
This link is to a B4 to EF adapter .. have a look at the images.
Maybe something like this can be done to our Cinema Cams .. will need a closer look at the mount

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B4-2-3-ENG-FUJINON-Canon-lens-EOS-550D-7D-60D-T2i-600D-T3i-adapter-/250965944814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6ebc69ee

Kavadni
05-31-2012, 07:51 PM

From this smallish image looks promising

Kavadni
05-31-2012, 08:02 PM
And here is a PL to EF adapter that also has some promise
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Angenieux-Cooke-S4-Zeiss-RED-ARRI-PL-to-EOS-7D-60D-T3i-550D-600D-T2i-adapter-/260885516105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbdfd0f49

Grug
05-31-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Angenieux-Cooke-S4-Zeiss-RED-ARRI-PL-to-EOS-7D-60D-T3i-550D-600D-T2i-adapter-/260885516105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbdfd0f49

Does anyone know how the rear end of the Red Pro Primes or Cooke S4s compares to the rear end of the Zeiss CP.2s? Are they fatter/longer/shorter/small/comparable?

razz16mm
06-01-2012, 09:21 AM
You won't have the mirror interference issue with the BMC since it doesn't have one. B4 adapter doesn't seem to practical though. No optical element to correct the lens for focal plane sensor vs 3 sensor prism block.

Brian@202020
06-01-2012, 12:35 PM
This link is to a B4 to EF adapter .. have a look at the images.
Maybe something like this can be done to our Cinema Cams .. will need a closer look at the mount

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B4-2-3-ENG-FUJINON-Canon-lens-EOS-550D-7D-60D-T2i-600D-T3i-adapter-/250965944814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6ebc69ee

Awesome

Brian@202020
06-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know how the rear end of the Red Pro Primes or Cooke S4s compares to the rear end of the Zeiss CP.2s? Are they fatter/longer/shorter/small/comparable?

If the Cooke's work than the CP.2's should work. Not sure about the Super Speeds or Ultra Primes tho.

Grug
06-02-2012, 11:25 AM
If the Cooke's work than the CP.2's should work. Not sure about the Super Speeds or Ultra Primes tho.

Fingers firmly crossed - one PL camera mount is a hell of a lot cheaper than 6 EF lens mounts for the CP.2s!

laco
06-02-2012, 12:14 PM
"The PL replacement need to be mounted permanently.
Changing the mounts many times will destroy camera body!"

hm...worth it?

Brian@202020
06-02-2012, 02:46 PM
"The PL replacement need to be mounted permanently.
Changing the mounts many times will destroy camera body!"

hm...worth it?

To some people and some rental houses yes, for me, no. I think what this means is it'll open up a world of possibilities for some productions. If I had 2 bodies, one would definitely be PL.

Barry Green
06-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Hmmm, mildly interesting. It says that that PL mount can only be used on the 7D, 60D, 550D/t2i, and 600D/t3i. So in all likelihood it won't work on the BMC as-is, but maybe they could be convinced to make a custom version.

As far as the Compact Primes go... based on their graphic measurements, it's a maybe. They show the depth of the silver part of the back of the lens as being no more than 11.2mm allowed, and by my measurement it's the tiniest sliver narrower than 1/2", so probably about 12mm. So it may be a no-go. And for the total depth of the part behind the mount they show a max of 14mm, the Compact Prime is about 14.3mm. So I'm thinking that they probably won't work, using that adapter as designed. But maybe that manufacturer could make a custom version; the pictures on the BlackMagic site do make it look like you could remove the front of the EF mount maybe.

Barry Green
06-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Barry Green
06-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Fingers firmly crossed - one PL camera mount is a hell of a lot cheaper than 6 EF lens mounts for the CP.2s!

So are you saying you have a set of CP.2's with the PL mount option installed? Those may or may not have the same back dimensions as my CP.1's, which are permanent PL. You'd have to look at the back of your lens. Does it look like the measurements in the adapter's ebay page?

Barry Green
06-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Edit: I looked up the CP.2 brochure, and there's a picture of the CP.2 with the PL mount, and it looks exactly like mine, so ... I would guess the dimensions are the same, and that would mean we're borderline as to whether we could use a mount like that or not.

Barry Green
06-02-2012, 05:24 PM
If the Cooke's work than the CP.2's should work.
That listing doesn't show any Cooke primes working. It shows a couple of Cooke zooms, but no primes. And zooms are a whole different ballgame. The only real primes they show on the list at all are Red Pro primes; I don't know about those Canon or Nikkor lenses but the Red Pros are the only recognizable modern or widely-used lens set I saw on there.

The pictures on CookeOptics.com show the S4's and S5's and Panchros all with what looks like exactly the same rear mount situation as on the Compact Primes.

Then again, as far as the Red Pro Primes, it's inconclusive so far. The only picture I could find that showed the rear of the mount, was of the 18mm, and it looked comparable to the CP's, and the adapter PL mount page specifically said Red Pro Primes would work... but, on the Red store's page for the battle-tested primes (where the picture was) it also says that the 18mm (the only one I found a picture of) has an extended rear flange; the quote is:

The extended flange on the 18mm RPP will not work on some shutter based film cameras

So maybe the other Red Pro Primes have smaller backs and that's why they work?

Barry Green
06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Okay, and while we're at it, Red Pro Primes aren't listed in Red's store anymore. Don't know if that's because they're backordered, or discontinued, or what, but they're not listed at all; only thing you can buy in terms of the primes is a single used 18mm or a single used 300mm...

Brian@202020
06-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Barry look at the link again, it does say Cooke 4S's work. 50mm and up were tested.

Grug
06-03-2012, 02:17 AM
So are you saying you have a set of CP.2's with the PL mount option installed? Those may or may not have the same back dimensions as my CP.1's, which are permanent PL. You'd have to look at the back of your lens. Does it look like the measurements in the adapter's ebay page?

Yep, I have the CP.2s with the PL-mount option. From the sounds of it, the dimensions on the rear of your CP.1s are the same as the dimensions on mine.

The info on the adapter's ebay page does list certain maximum lengths, but the width is 54mm across (which fits the CPs perfectly, so the only thing that might obstruct the lenses being mounted, will be the electronic contacts and the internal ridges of the barrel on which the EF mount sits. If those don't get in the way, the lenses should mount cleanly.

Barry Green
06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Barry look at the link again, it does say Cooke 4S's work. 50mm and up were tested.
Bizarre that I missed that, it's there plain as day. Don't know how I didn't see it...

Well, if this is all actually true I will be quite interested. I don't know why it would be more likely for them to work on a 7D/t2i than a C300, but all the reports about the C300 say that you can NOT mount PL primes on an EF-mount C300 using a PL adapter. If it's possible to do so on the BMC, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Kavadni
06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Barry, perhaps think adapter vs lens mount modification

Barry Green
06-05-2012, 12:01 PM
That's the problem though. Adapters don't work for most primes (and I remain to be truly convinced about the primes they say are working) because the inner diameter of the Canon mount is too small. Sticking an adapter on the front of it doesn't change that.

Maybe the ebay adapter being discussed gets away with it specifically because it removes the front ring, thus giving a few precious mm before the narrow inner diameter stops the lens from entering.

On the DSLRs, to make a "real" PL-mount DSLR, they actually replace the front mount with an appropriate-diameter PL mount, and that's what I'm thinking would have to happen here with the BMC. But if just removing that outer ring gives us just enough, then maybe it'll be enough.

Matthew Sonnenfeld
06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Something interesting that the Blackmagic rep said to me at the NY presentation was that the mount on it is technically not a "Canon mount," rather it is a "Blackmagic, Canon COMPATIBLE mount." He said that because of this Nikon has been calling them, and other companies have been scrambling, to make sure that Nikon to EF adapters, etc., actually will work. It seems to me that if this is the case, it may just be a waiting game to find out what will work when because it could be possible that the standard rules for Canon mounts and adapters don't all work with the BMCC.

Kavadni
06-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I haven't seen the camera personally .. Western Australia.

Can somebody who has held it tell me if the black tube that sticks out the front is plastic or metal.
I ask this because I am thinking .. internally it's a tube .. and there is a piece of ribbon cable with 8 wires in it.

I am wondering does it screw on (doubtful) .. or do you open the case disconnect a ribbon cable and undo 4 screws?
Those who have held it, what do you think?

And will it record with no lens attached .. that's a big question

Brian@202020
06-05-2012, 10:13 PM
The tube is metal and is the same piece as at least the front black part of the camera, and it's possibly the same piece as the rest of the camera body. They said it was machined out of one block of aluminum. I'm hoping it's only part of the front black part. If so than there is hope for third party lens mount conversions.

thundercrease
08-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I just picked up a B4 to EF adapter from MTF Services. It's designed to be used on APS-C sized cameras, so I'm hoping that it works even better on the BMC with its smaller sensor. I've been using it with Fujinon 17x7.6 and a 13x4.5 lenses and so far works well. The doubler has to be engaged for it to cover the sensor so you loose two stops of light, but with the wide angle that means you get a 9-120mm powered zoom with smooth manual aperture.

I'm really excited to test this out on the BMC cam, I'm hoping with the smaller sensor that it won't vignette much past 50mm and I think the image will be shaper then what I've gotten on the 7D.

http://www.mtfservices.com/home.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=110&category_id=2