PDA

View Full Version : ProRes in Prospect Park

alexenman
02-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Hey there, community! Here's a short camera test I shot yesterday to test out the dynamic range for a ProRes situation. I'll be posting some professional spots that I'll be shooting for fashion week NYC next week, but thought you guys might be interested in this:

https://vimeo.com/59328460

I was really shocked at how well it handled the snow and sky - and those skin tones! Loving this little metal camera.

kevin baggott
02-10-2013, 09:31 AM
nice :)
Thanks for posting.

Ervani
02-10-2013, 10:33 AM
A lot of 'burned whites' , but it gives me another impression.

alexenman
02-10-2013, 10:46 AM
I was going by the 100% zebra, and was messing about with how much to let some of the snow clip. Most of the shots have 0 clipping, but the grade brought some of them up to look as if they are. Tried to find an acceptable balance of clipping for snow shots. Just did this super fast to get a feel for it.

ranger9913
02-10-2013, 12:29 PM
I was going by the 100% zebra, and was messing about with how much to let some of the snow clip. Most of the shots have 0 clipping, but the grade brought some of them up to look as if they are. Tried to find an acceptable balance of clipping for snow shots. Just did this super fast to get a feel for it.

If you're shooting ProRes in bright daylight, would you recommend setting the zebras to 100% or dropping down to 90%? I did some shooting in daylight yesterday and I couldn't recover some shots that were just a tad bit peaking at 100%. The whole thing seemed over exposed and video-ish, so next time I am going to try setting exposure closer to the way I would a DSLR.

John Brawley
02-10-2013, 04:08 PM
If you're shooting ProRes in bright daylight, would you recommend setting the zebras to 100% or dropping down to 90%? I did some shooting in daylight yesterday and I couldn't recover some shots that were just a tad bit peaking at 100%. The whole thing seemed over exposed and video-ish, so next time I am going to try setting exposure closer to the way I would a DSLR.

The thing is...

The zebra is very very accurate @ 100%.

If it's clipped, then it's gone. A "tad" infers you thought it was near clipping. The Zebra is unlike other Zebras on other cameras. It shows SENSOR CLIPPING when you're at 100% and it's very black and white. If it's got Zebras, then you've clipped. Not nearly clipped....

You could certainly go to 90% zebras if you want to buy yourself some more headroom.

jb

Andrew
02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
The thing is...

The zebra is very very accurate @ 100%.

If it's clipped, then it's gone. A "tad" infers you thought it was near clipping. The Zebra is unlike other Zebras on other cameras. It shows SENSOR CLIPPING when you're at 100% and it's very black and white. If it's got Zebras, then you've clipped. Not nearly clipped....

You could certainly go to 90% zebras if you want to buy yourself some more headroom.

jb

Thanks John! I know you've mentioned this before and I've found it extremely helpful to know. I love that you're not guessing. It's either clipped or not. Even the histogram on my dslr supposedly only represents the jpg data and not the raw.

One question though, do you know if r, g, and b have to clip for the zebra to activate when set to 100% or just any single channel? Or is this even relevant since it's reading the data right off the sensor? I've been stopping down a bit from 100% zebras just to be safe.

John Brawley
02-10-2013, 04:27 PM
One question though, do you know if r, g, and b have to clip for the zebra to activate when set to 100% or just any single channel? I've been stopping down a bit from 100% zebras just to be safe.

Any single channel that clips.....so R G OR B....

jb

Andrew
02-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Any single channel that clips.....so R G OR B....

jb

Very good to know! Thanks John! I'll be taking it right up to the limit then. I can't see any reason not to.

viktoreske
02-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Very nice pictures.

I hope you're very happy with the camera

ranger9913
02-10-2013, 05:17 PM
In regards to the above posts I'd like to ask a question. If you're shooting a subject outside with a bright sky in the background, do you expose properly for the subject and disregard peaking that may be happening in the sky or do you expose so the sky/background is not peaking? I assume it comes down to personal preference or what the shot calls for?

alexenman
02-10-2013, 06:30 PM
In regards to the above posts I'd like to ask a question. If you're shooting a subject outside with a bright sky in the background, do you expose properly for the subject and disregard peaking that may be happening in the sky or do you expose so the sky/background is not peaking? I assume it comes down to personal preference or what the shot calls for?

I shot basically in a "protect the highlights" way. I made sure that the 100% zebras were only popping up in the very brightest spots (sun, very bright snow, thing's I wouldn't miss) and graded accordingly. When shooting RAW workflows, I would do the same. Once the highlights are gone, that's that. Obviously, exposing for the extreme brights would be silly and your entire image would be pretty under exposed.

jdwyer
02-10-2013, 07:47 PM
I know this has been touched on before but I never heard the answer, so apologies.

But with 100% zebras on how much more difficult is it if any to view the image on the screen on the camera? Thanks

Also taking into account ISO 800 in daylight.