PDA

View Full Version : Shop Man - a short test on my lunch hour

ranger9913
02-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Shot with BMCC 2.5k RAW exported to ProRes 444. Edited in FCPX and uploaded straight to Vimeo. Lens was a 70-200 IS 2.8L.

Just a quick test on my lunch hour. Not to interesting, but I don't think we need anymore landscape or beach shots.

Please critique the grade and exposure. No controled lighting was used, just florecent shop light

https://vimeo.com/59006909

Matthew Bennett
02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Try and make the flesh look more deep, fleshy and contrasty. Right now it glows a little, looks a little flat and plastic.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
02-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Nice!

What f-stop?

Any sharpening in post?

Were the "orange-colored" objects (rag, machine, etc.) actually red-colored, or were they more orange than red?

Next I want to see Shop Man on the beach! ;-)

bowman
02-05-2013, 06:33 PM
I agree we need more people shots, cinema and TV is after all most of the time all about shooting people. A thread like this on how to get good skin tones from the BM if it hasn't been done already would be useful. maybe John Brawley might have some input cause I think he nailed some decent skin tones from the first few bits of footage, though maybe he wasn't the colorist, not sure.

ranger9913
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Nice!

What f-stop?

Any sharpening in post?

Were the "orange-colored" objects (rag, machine, etc.) actually red-colored, or were they more orange than red?

Next I want to see Shop Man on the beach! ;-)

All shot ASA 800 at f4

The orange on his hat and shirt should be orange and the trash bag, but I am not skilled enough yet to pull that color out in natural way. The rag and the mower parts are red Only by boosting the saturation was I able to come close, however I very much dislike ultra-saturated looks. The only think I did was really mess with contrast.

I will say this though, the detail you see in videos on Vimeo and YouTube really do not do the footage justice at all. The grain detail is like nothing I've experience before and make me want to "office space" my T3i.

Paul Stephen Edwards
02-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Nice! I spent all afternoon working with my DP and editor shooting and grading tests. We spent most of our time talking about skin tones.

Ranger, how did your grade compare to your subject's actual skin tone?

Was it all natural lighting or did you use a bounce?

ranger9913
02-05-2013, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE=Ranger, how did your grade compare to your subject's actual skin tone?

Was it all natural lighting or did you use a bounce?[/QUOTE]

The skin is a little pink to me. The only lights were some overhead florescent shop lights.