PDA

View Full Version : no lens for bmc question

AhSing
05-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Ok so I can't afford any lens will the camera with no lens have good quality ?

Wesley Byram
05-25-2012, 08:17 PM
No lens at all? The image will be....soft.

John Caballero
05-25-2012, 08:42 PM
This is too funny...

AhSing
05-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Sorry Imma noob

Wesley Byram
05-25-2012, 09:34 PM
No problem. Everybody was new at some point. I still am for sure.

At minimum, after the camera you'll need at least one lense and an approved SSD. Realistically you'll probably want more and an external battery as well. So, more $$$. Alternatively, you could get a gh2 and a few decent lenses for the same price as the BMC alone. Some folks have made some amazing looking footage with that little camera.

Gwangjuboy
05-25-2012, 09:50 PM
No lens at all? The image will be....soft.

LOL. Sorry for laughing but this is the funniest camera related thread I have ever seen.

thegregferris
05-25-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm soft just reading this thread...

Jason R. Johnston
05-25-2012, 11:11 PM
After blacking out from laughing so hard I've decided to leave a comment and it's the best advice I can think to give to you, the original poster: start with a smaller camera and work your way up to this one. The GH2 is a fine camera, though I recommend one that can maybe take Canon lenses so you'll have those lenses for this camera at a later time. Remember: an expensive camera does not equal good footage. Only experience and wisdom and knowledge can do that...even with a crappy camera. Please, please don't start your journey with a camera that's this far beyond your pay grade.

Mark Nicholson
05-25-2012, 11:39 PM
You are actually in luck. The BMC will come with a mount cap. Take a really small drill bit and make a tiny hole in the cap. Presto. Free lens with every camera.

Wesley Byram
05-25-2012, 11:47 PM
You are actually in luck. The BMC will come with a mount cap. Take a really small drill bit and make a tiny hole in the cap. Presto. Free lens with every camera.

Yeap. That could work. You'd need a lot of light for good exposure though, but I bet with this method you could give my old PXL-2000 a run for its money.

trapper
05-26-2012, 12:05 AM
I think I read somewhere that this is what Robert Rodriguez had to do (shoot without a lens) when shooting El Mariachi...

One thing to look out for when doing this is DON'T get any dust on the sensor, can seriously mess up the camera. A workaround I've heard a lot of people talk about is using something like Saran Wrap or cheesecloth, or even pantyhose (which reportedly creates an excellent bokeh). You place it over the camera hole and simply secure it with a rubber band. What material you decide to use depends on the aesthetic you wish to create as the DP. Hope this helps!

Jason R. Johnston
05-26-2012, 12:11 AM
...but I bet with this method you could give my old PXL-2000 a run for its money.

Fisher-Price FTW!

Wesley Byram
05-26-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm wondering: Would there even be any bokeh to speak of with a pinhole lens? The dof is practically infinite.

Wesley Byram
05-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Fisher-Price FTW!

Wouldn't be surprised if many on this forum have fond memories of that little toy.

RyGuy
05-26-2012, 01:47 AM
5d and and tin foil... :cool:

https://vimeo.com/14757558

Spotts
05-26-2012, 02:17 AM
Yeap. That could work. You'd need a lot of light for good exposure though, but I bet with this method you could give my old PXL-2000 a run for its money.

You could also enlarge the hole to make an f1/2".

Fluoro
05-26-2012, 03:23 AM
The GH2 is a fine camera, though I recommend one that can maybe take Canon lenses so you'll have those lenses for this camera at a later time.

By the time he upgrades to a BMC there might be a model that takes m4/3 lenses.

Personally if I had 3k to spend and that was it for a while I would buy the GH2, a spare battery, a cheap Nikon F adapter, some old nikon primes. I'd then buy a variable ND filter. Then I would buy a tripod. Something along those lines anyway.

Jahful
05-29-2012, 07:39 PM
@ RyGuy- friends of yours? Could I meet them?

Macalincag
05-29-2012, 08:06 PM
^ LOL

RyGuy
05-30-2012, 06:10 AM
@ RyGuy- friends of yours? Could I meet them?

haha

Brad Ferrell
05-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I never thought I'd be the one to say this but, seriously guys, can't we help this OP and not make fun of him? I don't want this forum to turn into an elite bunch of snobs.

To answer the OP, this camera is a recording device. You need a lens in front to focus the light from the scene onto the focal plane of the camera so you can capture an image sequence (it also does video but you'll still need a lens.) Not knowing this is no reason to buy another camera. This camera is designed to be used with lenses that have an EF mount as it does too.

You may want to go to DVXUser.com and search around. This is a new forum and there are years of information about lenses and cameras and lighting and directing over there (this is not a complete list.) Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have another question that goes unanswered here.

mhood
05-30-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't want this forum to turn into an elite bunch of snobs.

But it's a CINEMA camera. An old joke from college: Head of Department was walking a new Assistant Professor around the Communications Department and says "These are the R/TV majors...a great bunch of kids. That group over there in the corner are the Film majors." The new professor asks: "How can you tell?" The Head of Department answers: "The Film majors usually wear redundant tee shirts with something like 'Cinematographer' on the front and 'Pompous Twit' on the back." :-)

Adam Jeal
05-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if many on this forum have fond memories of that little toy.

I've got 6 of them! :) Four have been custom modified. I will be using one on my upcoming feature film "Static" which I plan to shoot mostly on the BMC. I record directly to SD card using a U.S. Aiptek camera as my recorder.

They are every bit as cool as the BMC in their own way!

Adam

shankeith
05-30-2012, 12:35 PM
cant see why OP cant pick up a 50mm f1.8 canon lens, theyre the cheapest lens, and great one too.
but i dont understand why youre looking at this camera if you cant afford a lens?

Barry Green
05-30-2012, 01:18 PM
cant see why OP cant pick up a 50mm f1.8 canon lens, theyre the cheapest lens, and great one too.
A 50 would be an extremely limiting lens on the BMC. In terms of a FF equiv, that'd be a 115 lens. That's not the only lens you'd want to own.

If you could have only one lens, I would think something like an 18-55 would be much more practical.

Mark Nicholson
05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
The older EF-S 18-55 can be found on ebay from $65. And while its Varifocal, Lens barrel spins and extends when zoomed, Lens barrel also spins and extends when focused, doesn't have a constant aperture, has horrible breathing when racked, and can easily be knocked out of focus by its very touchy focus ring - actually is a fairly sharp lens.

Brad Ferrell
05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
The older EF-S 18-55 can be found on ebay from $65. And while its Varifocal, Lens barrel spins and extends when zoomed, Lens barrel also spins and extends when focused, doesn't have a constant aperture, has horrible breathing when racked, and can easily be knocked out of focus by its very touchy focus ring - actually is a fairly sharp lens.

That is a good lens.

Wesley Byram
05-30-2012, 10:26 PM
I've got 6 of them! :) Four have been custom modified. I will be using one on my upcoming feature film "Static" which I plan to shoot mostly on the BMC. I record directly to SD card using a U.S. Aiptek camera as my recorder.

They are every bit as cool as the BMC in their own way!

Adam

Yeah, to a kid living in the late 80's, the PXL 2000 was the BMC of its day, in that it made something accessable that previously was not.

Back on topic, It might help to know the OP's intended use for the camera so that we might be better able to give sound advice. Is he planning event coverage, travel videos, home movies, Youtube shorts etc? That could make a difference. For example, for someone trying to learn color grading, compositing, digital effects and so on, the BMC is a deal that can't be beat right now. On the other hand, if the intended use is event coverage (for example), then the question is less "which lens?" but maybe "is this the right camera for X amount of money at all?" Right tool for the right job and all that.

StarCoreFilms
06-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Ok so I can't afford any lens will the camera with no lens have good quality ?

I think you may need to consider another camera like the Panasonic Gh2. I don't know if this post is serious or a total joke....lol, but if serious you aren't ready for a RAW camera. It's a lot more complicated and a lens isn't the only thing you'll have to worry about. You'll need an SSD to record on and a pretty powerful computer for RAW. Start with a Gh2 with an actual lens would be my advice.

Charles Stewart Jr
06-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Actually I think a GH2 would be more complicated for someone starting out. I have a GH2 and love it, but since it's primary function is a picture camera (even though Panasonic did a great job with the video part) it can be over whelming and complicating to a new person. It seems Black Magic has taken an "Apple" approach with the BMCC and made it easier and more intuitive. So I say stick to the BMCC and pick up an 18-55 like Barry said. You can get them and many other lenses very cheap on ebay or a pawn shop. Plus, its better to learn on the camera you actually want to use. But that's just my opinion.