PDA

View Full Version : Grading Skies- learning to grade

Tetewsky
02-04-2013, 03:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Y7_kdiyQM&feature=youtu.be

So I shot this with my 7d, and isolated the sky from the foreground using masks in after effects, because I don't know resolve. As you can see, there are halo problems, as well as the trees being dark, going to light. Does Resolve have a feature that can differentiate skies from other parts of the image?

CaptainHook
02-04-2013, 05:36 AM
How did you create the masks in AE? Just straight roto?
In resolve you would create a qualifier (picking the tonal and colour range of the sky - may have issues with banding from 7D footage tho) and maybe track a window to isolate around the sky in the same node - but honestly it's nothing you can't do in AE. The big difference is resolve is built for realtime playback (provided you have a system that can handle it) where as with AE you will probably be ram-previewing your face off to check things in motion for any problems with the key etc. AE is built to do just about anything - resolve is designed to do colour grading so the workflow is tuned to make tasks like this fast and easy. I've seen examples MUCH worse than your attempt though. You're not far off at all. :)

Tetewsky
02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks! Yes, this took about 1.5 hours per clip in after effects, using the pen tool to rotoscope. It had banding noise in the sky so I did my best to denoise it. As I said however, I don't like that the trees go from super dark to super light, and the fact that one can see a halo. How long would this take in Resolve? Guess I have to learn, because I can do this in Resolve lite. The only problem is, I'm shooting my freshman thesis film in 4k, and I'll need to grade it in 4k, which resolve lite cannot do... and I can't afford Resolve. And Resolve would be able isolate the sky without getting trees?

Tetewsky
02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
I just wanted to add that I have speedgrade as well, but I don't really know it too well, and the dynamic link with it is way worse than with after effects.

Jon7athan
02-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I think what you want to do is create a matte, which is a grayscale channel that is used to define which areas get corrected. I think it is like creating a channel mask in photoshop. Here is a wordpress article (http://vanhurkman.com/wordpress/?p=560) from Alexis Van Hurkman's blog. His book (http://www.amazon.com/Color-Correction-Handbook-Professional-Techniques/dp/0321713117/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360003616&sr=8-1&keywords=color+correction+handbook) you see advertised on the right-hand column is supposed to be a really well regarded guide on professional color correction.

RyGuy
02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm still learning resolve, but in apple color this task would take me about 2 minutes to isolate an correct a sky if it was a somewhat static shot without any other blues getting in the way. Ocean and and water can make it take a little longer because you have to fiddle with the qualifiers and/or mask. A really tough shot could take 10 minutes maybe. An hour and a half is way longer than you need to spend adjusting the sky.

CaptainHook
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm shooting my freshman thesis film in 4k, and I'll need to grade it in 4k, which resolve lite cannot do... and I can't afford Resolve. And Resolve would be able isolate the sky without getting trees?

Resolve lite will work on the 4K footage, it just won't output it over HD. From your example, yes i think resolve could key that sky, and combined with a power window tracked to isolate the key to just the sky area (think of it like a loose holdout/garbage matte to restrict the key) i think it would work well. And i think it should take no longer than 10 minutes also. Watch some tutorials on Resolve, the ones by Alexis Van Hurkman are good and there are others. If i were you, i would consider learning resolve a bit and trying to do what you want with the sky in Resolve Lite, then if happy with the result export the project and see if you could ask a favour from someone with full resolve to export at 4K or rent some time with someone to import your project and export the frames. Any decent system would does this at real time if not faster, but doing it at 4K they'd probably want a lot of ram in their graphics card.

Tetewsky
02-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Resolve lite will work on the 4K footage, it just won't output it over HD. From your example, yes i think resolve could key that sky, and combined with a power window tracked to isolate the key to just the sky area (think of it like a loose holdout/garbage matte to restrict the key) i think it would work well. And i think it should take no longer than 10 minutes also. Watch some tutorials on Resolve, the ones by Alexis Van Hurkman are good and there are others. If i were you, i would consider learning resolve a bit and trying to do what you want with the sky in Resolve Lite, then if happy with the result export the project and see if you could ask a favour from someone with full resolve to export at 4K or rent some time with someone to import your project and export the frames. Any decent system would does this at real time if not faster, but doing it at 4K they'd probably want a lot of ram in their graphics card.

I'm actually on a workstation computer with 32 gigs of ram. Maybe I'll talk to someone at DaVinci to see if I could pay someone working NYC to export in 4k.

CaptainHook
02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I mean ram in the graphics card itself, not the computer.