PDA

View Full Version : Blackmagic Camera Handles

Taikonaut
05-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Has anyone pre-ordered and recieved their BM Camera Handles?
http://shop.texasmediasystems.com/assets/images/products/blackmagic/blackmagic_cinemahandle_water.jpg

nickjbedford
05-24-2012, 11:34 PM
For a camera that isn't released until July?

I'm planning on getting them though :)

Jake Vincent
05-24-2012, 11:52 PM
For a camera that isn't released until July?

I'm planning on getting them though :)

I'm considering them too but I didn't pre-order them with the camera, I want to wait and see how it compares to a figrig.

Pier
05-24-2012, 11:53 PM
I will make my own... I mean I can find excellent "machinist" here in Vietnam

yoclay
05-25-2012, 12:53 AM
I think the real issue remains how ergonomic their LANC controller solution will be. It has to be integrated into the handle setup properly, otherwise their handles will be useless. You can't hold them and work the touch screen at the same time.

Fabián Matas
05-25-2012, 06:36 AM
In my opinion are toooooooo expensive for what they're but I think the same way about the rigs.

stip
05-25-2012, 08:31 AM
I guess once you have them, you'll recognize that you want something else anyway. As mentioned I can't see how to easily access the touchscreen, also pulling focus won't be possible with two hands on the grips and I think it will be awkward to hold with one hand only to quickly change settings or adjust focus. The added stability will be less than with even a cheap shoulder rig and they won't do anything against fatigue.

pcenginefx
05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm going to wait to see what Berkey System (http://berkeysystem.com) comes up with. I've bought a ton of their addons for the NEX-FS100 and have been extremely happy with them.

mbeck
05-25-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm going to be using my Redrock rig, that way I can place them wherever I want.

jmacfadyen
05-25-2012, 03:54 PM
I ordered them with the BMC, not sure I'll ever use them but I thought what the hell, I should give them a shot and see how they go.

AhSing
05-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Hrmm should i cancel the pre order? It seems kinda useless... 200$ ...

FloridaDP
08-25-2012, 11:21 AM
If you order your BMC from B&H they have a rebate for the handles if ordered together- so they end up costing you about 7 bucks. Yes. 7 bucks. I have a great hand held rig but for 7 bucks I ordered the BM handles.

cgurtlinger
08-25-2012, 11:24 AM
If you order your BMC from B&H they have a rebate for the handles if ordered together- so they end up costing you about 7 bucks. Yes. 7 bucks. I have a great hand held rig but for 7 bucks I ordered the BM handles.

I ordered my BMCC and handles early and had them switch it to that bundle deal, saved enough to switch my original SSD I ordered to the 512BG Crucial M4 SSD. Def. worth the 7 bucks

randyman
08-25-2012, 11:32 AM
I've got a FigRig - that thing that looks like a steering wheel - and I really like it for handheld work. However, it does draw a lot of attention and is kind of disruptive because of the way it looks.

So I have gone ahead and ordered the handles. The FigRig works best when you do all your setup ahead of time; you're not going to be changing focus on the fly and keeping both hands on the rig. I'll use the handles the same way, but I think they'll be much less intrusive.

I'm planning on getting a Blackbird stabilizer and Steadicam vest & arm for more sophisticated work, but I have the feeling that for the price, the handles will justify themselves very quickly. Besides... I think they look snazzy.

blahey
08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I'll hit Home Depot, Bend some flatbar and throw some bike grips on the end for $30, won't be as pretty, but will do the same thing.

ianim8
08-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I'll hit Home Depot, Bend some flatbar and throw some bike grips on the end for $30, won't be as pretty, but will do the same thing.

Haha no kidding, I know some pre-fab auto dudes that can slap something similar for a 12 of beer ;)

mexicanmanchild
08-25-2012, 12:21 PM
The handles looked pretty cool paired with the Viewfactor cage in the SIFA video with John Brawley. I'm wondering if rods can still somehow be run between cage and handles.

Gwangjuboy
08-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I got the handles they aren't expensive copared to some rigs I've seen, maybe never use them but if BM thought to include them I'm guessing that little extra stability they might provide could be useful at some point. No reason to go making your own unless you enjoy that kind of thing, your time would be better spent making some money, each to their own though...

08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
The handles looked pretty cool paired with the Viewfactor cage in the SIFA video with John Brawley. I'm wondering if rods can still somehow be run between cage and handles.

Running the rods between the handles and the view factor cage would probably throw off the balance somewhat. But you can mount the view factor rod module to the top of the cage which may serve as a better solution in this case.

FloridaDP
08-25-2012, 02:47 PM

I've done some DIY rigs in the past. But there is to much competition for ad agency work in my market. The minute you show up with a DIY rig you open yourself up to criticism that likely will result in a bad reputation. And that usually results in no next job.

mexicanmanchild
08-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Running the rods between the handles and the view factor cage would probably throw off the balance somewhat. But you can mount the view factor rod module to the top of the cage which may serve as a better solution in this case.

That's what I figured. Top rods it is.

HeadStAtE!
08-25-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm waiting to see a number of reviews on this camera before considering buying. I'd probably opt to put in on rails.

Brian@202020
08-25-2012, 07:26 PM
I've done some DIY rigs in the past. But there is to much competition for ad agency work in my market. The minute you show up with a DIY rig you open yourself up to criticism that likely will result in a bad reputation. And that usually results in no next job.

I hear that. The trick is to make it not look DIY :)

I made a really slick ladder type dolly that looks so legit and I use it all the time on big shoots. Costed me $130 to make :)