PDA

View Full Version : BROTHERS: a ProRes adversity test

Finn Yarbrough
01-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Hello for the first time, bmcusers. Here is a quick handheld test that I shot in a very dark, very cold place in ProRes to see how well it would practically work for me as a documentary shooter:

https://vimeo.com/58058625

You can see some of my thoughts on the Vimeo site. The upshot is that I decided to pass the camera on while it still commands a premium (sold through ebay). I may come back to it after all, but I can afford to wait. I have really enjoyed reading about the camera here and watching what you all can do with it.

Thank you, Frank, for your encouraging words!

Frank Glencairn
01-28-2013, 12:32 PM
No problem Finn :)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
01-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi Finn: Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. Good point about bare fingers on a -5 degrees cold touchscreen; ouch! :-)

(Apparently there are gloves compatible with capacitive touch screens such as iPhone & BMCC; anyone use & like them?)

A few questions: Was f2.8 as fast as your lens was capable? What was the primary focal length used in this footage? Which lens(es)? When you say "handheld" do you mean just the bare camera, or did you use a rig? Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "lack of audio connectivity" (what mic did you use & how was it connected)?

Not disputing your conclusions, but interested in hearing more details. Cheers.

icicle22
01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
thanks. I do have to ask what is causing all of the "blooming" in the shots with the windows or lights? It looks like a post effect or some sort of diffusion filter. I have yet to see this on any of the other BMCC footage so I am curious as to what might be causing it here.

eimulis
01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
i bet its a condensation on a lens, it happens when you bring a camera from cold outdoors

jambredz
01-28-2013, 01:42 PM
I must say that looks like some brutal conditions there. A c300 maybe you best bet for something like this. And that diffused look is definitely the lens frosting up. I had to shoot in a HUUGE industrial freezer for a very large company once and that was happening to my lens. Had to wipe it alot to get clean shots.

raiseitup
01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
For some reason I like the look!

jambredz
01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
For some reason I like the look!

Well you can get it if you like from some Tiffen pro mist filters http://www.tiffen.com/promist.htm

Macielle
01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Nice video!! Really liked the "mood" and color.

Finn Yarbrough
01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
A few questions: Was f2.8 as fast as your lens was capable? What was the primary focal length used in this footage? Which lens(es)? When you say "handheld" do you mean just the bare camera, or did you use a rig? Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "lack of audio connectivity" (what mic did you use & how was it connected)?

I was using an old 20mm-30mm NIKKOR zoom with a mount adapter, primarily at 20mm. f-2.8 was the fastest this lens could go--I have a faster 50mm, but I was in close quarters and felt that would be too narrow. I did use a rig, actually, a bit of a custom deal: 2111

You can see that I used a Zoom H4n as my on-board mic and preamp, but what I mean by "lack of connectivity" is just that I can't phantom-power any of my shotgun mics without buying a preamp of some sort. I didn't like the extra step of going through the Zoom and back out the headphone jack, it's tenuous and seems bound to fail as the weakest link (which it did, and I had to sync sound in Post anyway). If I did all my shoots with a soundperson, things would be different, but I often have to work as a one-man-band and there are a lot of pieces to keep track of.

In answer to the other questions, you have guessed correctly: outside it was sub-zero, and inside, above freezing with all those breathing cows... so the lens became quite foggy. Believe it or not, I threw out the worst of it... but I'm glad to hear that some may see it as a kind of "poor man's Pro Mist."

funwithstuff
01-31-2013, 07:37 AM
I was using an old 20mm-30mm NIKKOR zoom with a mount adapter, primarily at 20mm. f-2.8 was the fastest this lens could go--I have a faster 50mm, but I was in close quarters and felt that would be too narrow. I did use a rig, actually, a bit of a custom deal: 2111

You can see that I used a Zoom H4n as my on-board mic and preamp, but what I mean by "lack of connectivity" is just that I can't phantom-power any of my shotgun mics without buying a preamp of some sort. I didn't like the extra step of going through the Zoom and back out the headphone jack, it's tenuous and seems bound to fail as the weakest link (which it did, and I had to sync sound in Post anyway). If I did all my shoots with a soundperson, things would be different, but I often have to work as a one-man-band and there are a lot of pieces to keep track of.

In answer to the other questions, you have guessed correctly: outside it was sub-zero, and inside, above freezing with all those breathing cows... so the lens became quite foggy. Believe it or not, I threw out the worst of it... but I'm glad to hear that some may see it as a kind of "poor man's Pro Mist."

It would be nice if there was a phantom power option. There are mics which work with a bare BMCC, including the Røde Stereo Videomic (and I presume many other mics with on-board batteries) and Røde Pinmic, but if it's XLR-based, you'll need a pre-amp like a Riggi. Alternatively, FCP X is very good at post-syncing your sound.

Simon Shasha
02-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I've noticed this blooming effect on a handful of BMCC videos - does anyone know what causes it?

thegregferris
02-01-2013, 02:45 AM
Good to see the Cinevate pieces as part of the rig - I like the way the display's been positioned. How comfortable was this?

itimjim
02-01-2013, 06:33 AM
I've noticed this blooming effect on a handful of BMCC videos - does anyone know what causes it?

It's not the camera, it's the lens.

dwaisman
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't know but I love it !
It remained me of Janusz Kaminski's work with SPR and CMIYC!
It create an aura and a retro type look.

Finn, thank you your comments and footage.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
02-01-2013, 02:14 PM
[Originally Posted by Simon Shasha: "I've noticed this blooming effect on a handful of BMCC videos - does anyone know what causes it?"]

It's not the camera, it's the lens.

And sometimes it's simply condensation on the lens, as was the case in Finn's situation.

itimjim
02-01-2013, 05:15 PM
[Originally Posted by Simon Shasha: "I've noticed this blooming effect on a handful of BMCC videos - does anyone know what causes it?"]

And sometimes it's simply condensation on the lens, as was the case in Finn's situation.

Well yeh...but it was still on the lens :) :p

Finn Yarbrough
02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Yes, Cinevate components are very utilitarian. My favorite is the grip stick, it works so much better than an Israeli arm.

This rig had a few small drawbacks. It was not over-comfortable, but would have been more so if I had shifted the rear rails to a horizontal position and slid the battery further back to counter-balance. That was more comfortable, but when I wanted to change directions in a hallway, I had to do a 3-point turn, and the balance was too far back for the mount to be dual-purpose (both handheld and tripod). I was pushing my luck as it was.

The other drawback is that, as cool and comfortable as that under-slung mounting looks, it makes my interview subjects look at me like this: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6v5ewcHmu1qzco6lo1_500.jpg (courtesy of Kate Beaton) because that's where my head is positioned relative to the camera.

So, long story short, it probably requires some more tweaking.