PDA

View Full Version : BMCC Lowlight test

Adam Roberts
01-25-2013, 05:24 AM
A quick and dirty sensor stress test.

There had been a great deal of discussions on the Blackmagic Design forums about how the Blackmagic Cinema Camera performs when under exposed in lowlight conditions (http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4269). This test was based on those discussions. Thought it would be worth sharing here.

http://www.adamroberts.net/blog/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lowlight-test/

dustylense
01-25-2013, 05:30 AM
Honestly, I'd take the FS100 in that scene.

Jorge De Silva
01-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Honestly, I'd take the FS100 in that scene.

Yup... and the Prores is better than the processed RAW!

Fabián Matas
01-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Some things that I see:

1-First thanks for the test.

2-Yeah the Nex stuff looks better.

3- Did you apply some Resolve NR?

4- There is one interesting point about the underexposing 2 stops, since the BMC performs better overexposed(to the right)...

Adam Roberts
01-25-2013, 08:31 AM
1-First thanks for the test.

No problem. I needed to do the test for my own reference anyway.

2-Yeah the Nex stuff looks better.

Yeah. The FS100 is widely regarded as the "Queen of the night" and does perform well in those conditions.

3- Did you apply some Resolve NR?

There was no noise reduction done in Resolve. I'm running Resolve on a 17" MacBook Pro with an ATI card. NR is only supported on NVIDIA cards. Adding some noise reduction would certainly help.

4- There is one interesting point about the underexposing 2 stops, since the BMC performs better overexposed(to the right)...

Yeah. As the BMCC is rated at 800ASA, can be push to 1600ASA, it does not have the same kind of headroom as the FS100 which can be pushed a lot further (can be pushed to 16 000 and is still usable as 6 400).

There was very little light in the scene as can be seen from the light meter reading. All that was there was a small light on the side of the house giving off less light than your average street light. Adding a stop or 2 of light to the scene would have helps a lot.