PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Skintone Test

Adam Roberts
01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
More test footage for you. Yesterday we did some hair and skintone tests. Thought we'd share them with you lot.

Shot on 3 cameras:
Canon 5D MK2 - Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro
Sony NEX-FS100 - Carl Zeiss ZF.2 50mm 1.4
Blackmagic Cinema Camera - Carl Zeiss ZF.2 35mm 2

Have a look here:
https://vimeo.com/57472828

Sample DNGs here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6460491/BMCC_skintone_test.zip

morgan_moore
01-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Look nice in the ungraded IMO, I think the blacks are overcrushed in the grade?

Id say the BMC shots are a stop or a couple under, you should try a bracket if you were seeking ultimate quality

The FS100? - I think log breaks it

The resolve grade of the bmc looks subtler?

S

Andrew
01-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Your corrected BMCC footage looks good! It's funny, just scrolling through the footage without reading the title cards I could instantly pick out the BMCC footage because of the color. uncorrected bmcc footage has a sort of aqua green look in the blue channel imo.

taubkin
01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks for sharing that!

Kholi
01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Your corrected BMCC footage looks good! It's funny, just scrolling through the footage without reading the title cards I could instantly pick out the BMCC footage because of the color. uncorrected bmcc footage has a sort of aqua green look in the blue channel imo.

That's the color cast I sawr earlier on, but it's so easy to correct. One thing that I've just realized is that if you use the BMDFILM setup and select your white balance from the pull down, Blackmagic was intuitive enough to tune those to the Camera's data so it's almost always accurate for those color temps.

Sometimes I do wish there was a color picker so I could get creative easier. =P But nothin' good comes easy so.

CaptainHook
01-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Kholi - do you mean the camera is setting the tint automatically based on your selected wb? Can you set tint manually in camera or not at all? I've noticed some DNG's (yours for example) have the tint going into magenta more which helps the 'green issue' and i wondered how you set that metadata or if it's now being done automatically based on wb settings?

Kholi
01-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Kholi - do you mean the camera is setting the tint automatically based on your selected wb? Can you set tint manually in camera or not at all? I've noticed some DNG's (yours for example) have the tint going into magenta more which helps the 'green issue' and i wondered how you set that metadata or if it's now being done automatically based on wb settings?

I meant in R9 under the clip settings for BMD Film/Cinema DNG BUT... You can set color balance in camera. I never tested if it held over into the DNGs but now that I think about it I bet it does, it'll just write it into the metadata.

xP So many things to tesssstttt

Adam Roberts
01-16-2013, 03:00 AM
Look nice in the ungraded IMO, I think the blacks are overcrushed in the grade?

Id say the BMC shots are a stop or a couple under, you should try a bracket if you were seeking ultimate quality

The FS100? - I think log breaks it

The resolve grade of the bmc looks subtler?

Yeah the BMCC blacks were crushed a bit in the FCPX grade as I was looking to colour match the 3 cameras. The Resolve grade was intentionally subtler as I wanted to give it a more pleasing look without crushing it to much.

Agreed that the BMCC footage could have done with an extra stop of light.

This test was not a grade test but rather a test to compare the BMCC with 2 known entities that we have been shooting on over the last few years.

Adam Roberts
01-16-2013, 03:05 AM
Kholi is correct. Depending on how you process the DNGs in Resolve will influence the colour balance and tint. I found I was getting a much better colour setting the RAW data to BMC Film and selecting the correct white balance than if I selected Rec709 with the correct white balance.

Adam Roberts
01-16-2013, 03:08 AM
A bit more info on the workflow.

Both the Sony NEX-FS100 and the Canon 5DMK2 footage was transcoded to ProRes HQ with 5DtoRGB. I then colour corrected the footage in Final Cut Pro X.

The Blackmagic footage was exported from Resolve in 3 ways as I wanted to test different work flows.
1st option I applied a Rec709 LUT to the RAW files and exported ProRes HQ 1080p.
2nd option I applied the BMC Film LUT to the RAW files and exported ProRes HQ 1080p.
Both methods involved not colour correction in Resolve. All that was do was a LUT was applied to the RAW files. I then colour corrected the footage in Final Cut Pro X.
In the 3rd option I graded the footage in Resolve with a single node and exported ProRes HQ 1080p

If I was planning on round tripping back to Resolve I would have exported with XML but in this case there was no need.

All footage was then edited in ProRes HQ 1080p in Final Cut Pro X. Vimeo export was an H.264 Quicktime MOV.

CaptainHook
01-16-2013, 03:16 AM
I meant in R9 under the clip settings for BMD Film/Cinema DNG BUT... You can set color balance in camera.

Ah okay. By color balance in camera do you mean WB, or wb AND tint. Being able to set both would be GREAT for Prores.
Also, can you set the WB to any temp in kelvin yet or is it still a few 'preset' temps?

Adam Roberts
01-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Ah okay. By color balance in camera do you mean WB, or wb AND tint. Being able to set both would be GREAT for Prores.
Also, can you set the WB to any temp in kelvin yet or is it still a few 'preset' temps?

In the current firmware you can only select the following in camera:
3200K, 4500K, 5000K, 5600K, 6500K, 7500K

This is only really a limitation if you are shooting ProRes or DNxHD as you can change the WB on the RAW DNG files in your post workflow.

Ervani
01-16-2013, 04:57 AM
Thanks for sharing this footage, this helps me to make up my mind :-) Like the footage!

jambredz
01-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Can you manually WB in camera in DNXHD/Prores...or is it that you have those set presets alone to choose from (for now).

KyleMcConaghy
01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Hi, Jambredz - You can only select the presets, unfortunately. Luckily, the've extended the options since the beta modle. Although I would like something in between 3200 and 4500.

Pete Marlboro
01-16-2013, 03:15 PM
digital film retouch up to 5K video

after (click on the picture to see the full size photo)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8053/8386761855_5929e62478_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87787347@N02/8386761855/)

before (click on the picture to see the full size photo)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8214/8386677521_ec39bc1ce3_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87787347@N02/8386677521/)

jambredz
01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi, Jambredz - You can only select the presets, unfortunately. Luckily, the've extended the options since the beta modle. Although I would like something in between 3200 and 4500.

ok kool. thanks

Joe Giambrone
01-16-2013, 04:01 PM
"(click on the picture to see the full size photo)"

Did you add film grain? Zooming in, it looks like pretty consistent grain pattern across the image.

Ervani
01-16-2013, 06:57 PM
My second reply to this topic... I've checked the DNG's and this footage pulled me over the line. This camera will be my next cam and replace my current 5D!

Pete Marlboro
01-18-2013, 11:44 AM
yes. but it's not necessary option.

RobertJ
01-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Am I the only one who feels that these are at least 1 stop underexposed? 2 stops overexposed would be perfect. It would give you low noise and tons of flexibility in RAW.

John Brawley
01-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Am I the only one who feels that these are at least 1 stop underexposed? 2 stops overexposed would be perfect. It would give you low noise and tons of flexibility in RAW.

Yeah I would have given it another stop at least (on the BMCC)

jb

Adam Roberts
01-19-2013, 07:08 AM

Agreed. I shot the footage based on how we normally light for the FS100. The FS100 does not handle highlights very well and tends to have strange colour shifts as it clips. Going forward I'd be exposing the BMCC 1 to 2 stops brighter than what I might do on the 5D and FS100.

This was partly the point of this test. Comparing the camera to 2 cameras we know well so we can make adjustments to the way we shoot when we use the BMCC.

:-)