PDA

View Full Version : We Killed the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (test & thoughts)

KyleMcConaghy
01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Hi, everyone - I just completed my first camera test with the BMCC. It's a little nonsensical but it was fun to finally use the camera.

https://vimeo.com/57462025

https://vimeo.com/57462025

A couple of observations that echo many before me:

1) Don't trust the LCD screen: bright areas look super blown out in the monitor (when monitoring in film and video settings), only to find visible captured detail when you bring the shots in your NLE system. I set my LCD brightness below 50% to have a more accurate reading. Trust those zebras.

2) The detail is fantastic. Way more than my FS100 which had way more than my old 60D.

3) It looks like resolve has some complications with FCPX 10.0.6, so I just used a few custom curves in FCPX for this project. Looking forward to figuring out Resolve for the next project.

I'll post more soon at strappingproduction.com/blog.

Thanks for watching!

Trevor Roach
01-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Haha, nice. Love the quote from Grant "Our Aussie emotions are Raw-er than our footage."

Very sharp, esp. on the extreme close-ups on the eyes! I'm assuming RAW?

metaljesus
01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks for this Kyle!

Love the sharpness and detail in the CUs and in the hair. All on a 300 lens!

Would be interesting to see what could be saved in the blown out windows when you get it into Resolve.

RyGuy
01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
LOL

Felix
01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Hilarious!

taubkin
01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
haha. Good test.

Mestizo Devon
01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
I got a good laugh out of this! Hang in there guys, you will be happy you waited!

KyleMcConaghy
01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Thanks, everyone!

MetalJesus - Those windows would be nearly fully intact if I would have taken the time to mask them. I actually filmed a stop lower, but had to raise the exposure for the interior. My FCPX 8 point mask wasn't sophisticated enough to key around my wife's head. When I get Resolve going, I'll re-grade this there.

Kholi
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Glad you got your camera, Kyle. You're one of the ones I was rooting to get theirs earlier after I heard you were making the jump.

I think until V1.2 is public you'll have an issue with XMLs into R9. It's fine after V1.2, though, I was able to XML into R9 fine, with the exception of a few clips being off.

MarioAna
01-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Lol nicely done, the detail is impressive.

KyleMcConaghy
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Glad you got your camera, Kyle. You're one of the ones I was rooting to get theirs earlier after I heard you were making the jump.

I think until V1.2 is public you'll have an issue with XMLs into R9. It's fine after V1.2, though, I was able to XML into R9 fine, with the exception of a few clips being off.

Thanks so much, Kholi! Can't wait to see your BMCC films.

So you're saying the inability to bring a FCPX edit into resolve has to do with the BMCC firmware and not FCPX or R9?

Kholi
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks so much, Kholi! Can't wait to see your BMCC films.

So you're saying the inability to bring a FCPX edit into resolve has to do with the BMCC firmware and not FCPX or R9?

You can get an XML back to R9, but what happens is that it jumbles the timecode with your current firmware. That's an update addressed in V1.2 and works great.

If you want to test getting XMLs into R9 right now, do this:

1. Export XML from FCPX
2. (Make sure you have latest R9 update) Setup R9 project
3. Bring in ALL Raw data into the Media pool, or at least the clips you know that you used.
4. In the Conform Tab, import your XML and deselect "Automatically bring clips into media pool", then hit okay

THe conform timeline should automatically setup your cuts, but some of them (if not all with this firmware) will be wrong.

What I did before V1.2 Beta is cut proxies, then make a list of the clips, pull those into Media pool, color those and then re-export 422HQ and recut them into FCPX. xDDDDD MAJOR WORK.

podio
01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Great work. Loved the sarcasm of a film about killing the BMC using a BMC camera.

Looks great, looking forward to one day getting my camera...

Abobakr
01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
haha.. i loved it. nice work Kyle!

Matthew Bennett
01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Looks great, damn fine cutting too!

Andrew
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Funny!

pharpsied
01-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Awesome!

Maxclev
01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Love the look of that camera....to bad you have to kill someone to get one...

Fluoro
01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Ha!

Good work.

Nice colour!

markmwilliams
01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Really great Kyle. Loved the shots, the editing and the humour was spot on. Hilarious :)

Vegas Bob
01-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Wow...this really scared me but then the UPS truck came and delivered my cameras...whew.

Really funny, great job.

rick.lang
01-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Wow...this really scared me but then the UPS truck came and delivered my cameras...whew.

Really funny, great job.

Bob, that didn't really happen. You are caught in space-time continuum singularity of the other video posted at the same moment about the day of the end of the world and now you are in the afterlife with your treasured BMCC safe in heaven. For the rest of us who didn't get to go in that direction, send us some great video of the other angels from Vegas who made it with you. What's her name? :cool:

Vegas Bob
01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Hey Rick, The "Angels" in Vegas are very expensive. However there is an outlet called "Angels By The Hour". Not sure anybody could call Vegas Heaven. I think living in Victoria BC is much closer to the Pearly Gates. I've only been there once many years ago but it is stunning. You're very lucky. Maybe I'll be up that way this summer when Vegas hit's 110. I'm supposed to go to Vancouver in July.

I really did get two cameras yesterday. UPS was freaking me out. They are usually here by 2pm but yesterday 7pm. Now I need time to get the system up to speed. At least two days of editing in front of me to meet a deadline.

So far I've only managed to charge them, go through the menus and put a couple of lenses on. I got to handle the camera at NAB so I knew what I was getting. I did try out the zebras, iris and double tap focus. Can't wait to really get into them.

I will post some shots of Vegas as time permits.

Simon Shasha
01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
1) Don't trust the LCD screen: bright areas look super blown out in the monitor (when monitoring in film and video settings), only to find visible captured detail when you bring the shots in your NLE system. I set my LCD brightness below 50% to have a more accurate reading. Trust those zebras.

Could you please go into more detail about this? Is it really that off?

DelonM
01-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Brilliant

KyleMcConaghy
01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Could you please go into more detail about this? Is it really that off?

Maybe it's just my bad eyes, but on the screen, brighter areas will look totally blown out. For instance, I couldn't see the trees in the windows in this video clip. But then when I bring them into FCPX, without adjustment, I can see that detail. I think the highlights blow out quicker on the monitor than they actually do in the file. So, like JB has stated several times, trust your zebras to see what is actually blown out, not your eyes.

Hope that helps! I'm still learning the camera, though, so maybe someone else can chime in with more expertise.

rick.lang
01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Hey Rick, The "Angels" in Vegas are very expensive. However there is an outlet called "Angels By The Hour". Not sure anybody could call Vegas Heaven. I think living in Victoria BC is much closer to the Pearly Gates. I've only been there once many years ago but it is stunning. You're very lucky. Maybe I'll be up that way this summer when Vegas hit's 110. I'm supposed to go to Vancouver in July.

I really did get two cameras yesterday... I will post some shots of Vegas as time permits.

Congratulations on the arrival of the twins! Now you just need to think of names for them. Vancouver isn't far away, maybe we can connect in July, if either of us can remember? There are other BMCC fans in the area too so who knows if a meet-up is in the cards. I loved visiting Vegas when I lived in Los Angeles... Missing that 117 degree dry heat in LA now. Looking forward to your video posts.

martins
01-17-2013, 04:38 AM
Funny, but that was probably the worst Australian accent I have ever heard!

KyleMcConaghy
01-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Funny, but that was probably the worst Australian accent I have ever heard!

Ha! We were going for Meryl Streep/ Don Cheadle accent bad. #excuses