PDA

View Full Version : VerameatTv Jewelry Short Film - Shot on Blackmagic Cinema Camera by Yours Truly

DanKanes
01-15-2013, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMpLLbKBILk&list=UUVfyG8vKnpgn5cucCsa_6KA&index=2

Link Style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMpLLbKBILk&list=UUVfyG8vKnpgn5cucCsa_6KA&index=2

be sure to click the gear in the lower left and enable 1080p HD viewing!

Bonus - VeraMeatTV web interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reqrWMuBIDo&list=UUVfyG8vKnpgn5cucCsa_6KA&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reqrWMuBIDo&list=UUVfyG8vKnpgn5cucCsa_6KA&index=1

Ervani
01-15-2013, 07:13 AM
It's the operator that makes the footage not the camera so don't blame the BMCC ;-)

DanKanes
01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
It's the operator that makes the footage not the camera so don't blame the BMCC ;-)

Would you care to elaborate on this comment?

Are you saying there is something lacking here?

Did you watch in 1080p HD?

What are some specific things that you personally did not enjoy or perhaps you don't understand what these are about?

DanKanes
01-15-2013, 10:20 AM
These were shot in Prores, 17-40 f4 canon lens, 25 f2.8 zf, 50mm f2 zf.

Sound was recorded on a Zoom H4N this time. Next clips I will be posting were recorded straight to camera

jmad
01-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Dan, since you're looking for feedback, I'll say a few things. I don't really understand who these characters are or what's happening. The acting looks very large to me and the actors seem unsure of themselves. The camera placement seems arbitrary and that cut to the close-up is distracting. Why a close-up at that point and why from that very similar angle? I don't really have a lot to say about the cinematography, camera or lens choices because they don't come into play when I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Sorry to be negative.

mikowolf
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Dan, since you're looking for feedback, I'll say a few things. I don't really understand who these characters are or what's happening. The acting looks very large to me and the actors seem unsure of themselves. The camera placement seems arbitrary and that cut to the close-up is distracting. Why a close-up at that point and why from that very similar angle? I don't really have a lot to say about the cinematography, camera or lens choices because they don't come into play when I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Sorry to be negative.

im on the same boat with jmad here.
Lighting wise id also say it looks like as if shot with the light you had in the room, no extra lights, and so it felt very flat :/

im talking about the bed video

matty
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Good job, Dan. It's nice to see the camera used towards a final product, and it looks like you guys had fun shooting it.

I wouldn't sweat the other comments -- I doubt the guys on here are really the target audience for high end jewelry boutiques.

DanKanes
01-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Glad everyone noticed the lower contrast in the bedroom. That was intentional, also you might notice the interview has higher contrast - different lighting style.

The thing I am least happy about is the sound on both. Nothing I could personally do at the time about that.

Acting. I think it serves what we are doing here.

It's supposed to be a bit weird. Anyway - personally I think having Prores just absolutely murders dslrs at this point in time.

Ed David
01-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I really liked it Dan. I like the low con look!

Logan Myers
01-19-2013, 12:46 AM
This is obviously suppose to be offbeat and "bland" looking. I don't really get the negative comments. The detail in the cam really shines in the close ups and the strange cuts and angles only further push the quirky weirdness. I had a shoot recently with someone who went to film school and was so scared to break a "rule" in filmmaking. She drove me made with her "film school rules" while shooting. "That's wrong" she would say? how is any art wrong? And it's not like we were purposely breaking the 180 rule or something over and over LOL. sorry for the rant!

Charlie Doom
01-19-2013, 07:09 AM
This is obviously suppose to be offbeat and "bland" looking.!

I agree, I thought it was funny and weird, which is what I think the OP was going for.

It's hard to give feedback on this, other than to say if you're taking risks as a filmmaker then you're doing something right.

Frank Apollonio
01-19-2013, 02:35 PM
i think the look isn't even whats wrong here. I think its the codec? It looks worse than my canon t2i. its not clean crisp bmcc footage it can be. maybe if you exported it at the maximum bitrate?

DanKanes
01-20-2013, 12:43 AM
i think the look isn't even whats wrong here. I think its the codec? It looks worse than my canon t2i. its not clean crisp bmcc footage it can be. maybe if you exported it at the maximum bitrate?

Ill do a Vimeo upload before end of next week.

nickjbedford
01-20-2013, 01:32 AM
If I may be rather critical, but try to be helpful, I also didn't really understand what she said which ended with "chicken".

The lighting was very flat, which makes the production seem like it was just thrown together in a few minutes and you had one light to use altogether, though it's not that easy when you're looking into the corner of the room there. If you had the gear, perhaps a ceiling spot (dim, to light the hair and add a little fill) near the right side of the bed, coupled with lighting from the left on the main character with some flagging to avoid the wall would have added dimensionality to the scene. Less ambient light to add a bit of drama in other words.

Less visibility on the right wall with framing may have also helped a lot. I might have simply shot perpendicular to the wall across the bed, then gone up to a close up of her face from a different vantage point. Then when the other character starts to appear, I might have had the main character on the left of the frame in a tighter shot with her sneaking up on the right then rack focus to her. Perhaps a "fright" shot of the main character. A wide shot to establish the geometry then some dialogue type close ups of both and a less awkward high five (it was kinda slow and awkward).

The super fast faces thing was kinda unnecessary.

The last shot was fine, but again, the light felt very flat. I would have probably moved to a bit more glamour type lighting, whilst trying to maintain a sense of continuity even though the rest of the scene is mostly out of the frame.

I don't know the details of the shoot or the project, but they're my suggestions as to what I might have done at any rate. Take them with a grain of salt!