PDA

View Full Version : My BMCC Experience

nickjbedford
01-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I have my BMCC, and I'm running around at work testing it out with the IS enabled 17-55mm F/2.8. It fits within most exposure and focal length situations which is handy.

Sorry for now as I can't really post much more than this from work, but I will add more posts and DNGs as I test the camera out on the weekend (it's Friday noon right now).

17mm is actually quite nice for a wider field of view. It's not "wide", but its definitely wide enough for a lot of stuff. 55mm is equivalent to about 80mm on Super 35 and is a decent tele crop.

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/Frame000057.jpg

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/Frame000062.jpg

These were developed in ACR 7.3. Note that this was shot under fluorescents.

Very early experience break down:

Auto iris is very quick and the easiest way to get your exposure to max out without clipping.
Zebras are easy to see.
Focus peaking is easy to see most of the time and is very handy for focus.
My 2x 256GB Crucial M4 SSDs handle raw just fine. They do get warm after use though.
The camera is barely audible in most situations.
The depth of field at f/2.8 is just right.
The display / touch screen is nice and clear. Pretty sure the screen is glass.

More on this to come!

Martin
01-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Congrats on getting your camera, Nick. Time to leave 8-bit hell behind for good!

nickjbedford
01-10-2013, 09:29 PM
It's kinda funny. I went to install Resolve on my MacBook Air which I use at work and remembered it doesn't have DVD drive. Facepalm. So I can only look at frames in ACR right now.

Learvis
01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
It's kinda funny. I went to install Resolve on my MacBook Air which I use at work and remembered it doesn't have DVD drive. Facepalm. So I can only look at frames in ACR right now.
You can download it direct to your MacBook from the support page on Blackmagic's website no DVD needed just your dongle when launching.

Oh and congrats on your camera welcome to the club!

nickjbedford
01-10-2013, 10:00 PM
You can download it direct to your MacBook from the support page on Blackmagic's website no DVD needed just your dongle when launching.

Oh and congrats on your camera welcome to the club!

Didn't realise that, thanks :)

Liam
01-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Now we better see some damn fine music videos........... or else.

jambredz
01-10-2013, 10:32 PM
no pressure :p

nickjbedford
01-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I already put enough pressure on myself ;)

Charlie Doom
01-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Hurray! Good for you, looking forward to seeing what you produce with this!

bowman
01-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Would love to see how much the IS function works at getting rid of camera shake or not.

nickjbedford
01-11-2013, 12:21 AM
It works well enough. Definitely removes the jitters. I tried my 35mm Zeiss f/1.4 and that was jittery as anything. I'm no John Brawley ;)

If makes it easy enough to shoot handheld run n gun.

Ryo
01-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Congrats on the camera! How do you like the 17-55mm in terms of handling? Are the focus rings ok?

Lorenzo Straight
01-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Congrats, Nick. I'm really glad you got your camera. Really looking forward to seeing what you shoot.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
01-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Nick gets his BMCC.

World rejoices.

:)

Simon Shasha
01-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Yo Nick, first of all - congrats!

Second, can you please see how the 17-55 performs in low-light @ ISO800 - perhaps on a dark street or something, not in a studio situation :) Though I made the switch to MFT, I'm still wondering if I should go back to the EF with my Tokina 11-16 F2.8 and then purchasing the Canon 17-55 F2.8.

Wuudi
01-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Hi Nick,

you say screen is nice. How would you compare the screen in terms of resolution to say the 5D screen? I'm thinking of buying the GRID loupe but that only makes sense if the display is good and clearly shows sharpening, because maginfieng something mushy does not make sense ;)

Dave Chin
01-11-2013, 03:23 AM
...I went to install Resolve on my MacBook Air ...

congrats, mate!
i hope you mean MBP Retina 15" otherwise it won't run on air... :mad:

Jorge De Silva
01-11-2013, 03:35 AM
Congrats Nick!!! :D Hope to see some stuff from your creative mind soon ;)

dustylense
01-11-2013, 03:35 AM
congrats, mate!
i hope you mean MBP Retina 15" otherwise it won't run on air... :mad:
Correct. By the way. Resolve runs nicely on my 15in MBPr. But I have a felling that Nick will stick to LR being a stills guy and familiar with it.
Congrats Nick

morgan_moore
01-11-2013, 04:04 AM
It would be super cool if you could try a few static bracketing tests where you equalise in post and then compare noise levels.

S

SamuelJacobPauling
01-11-2013, 04:25 AM
Congrats Nick!!!
Happy for you! Gosh, I can't wait until the moment I have the BMCC, what a thrill!

Frank Glencairn
01-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Welcome to the club Nick. :)

Actually it just hit me, that I totally overlooked the 17-55.

With the IS and f2.8 that would make it a perfect workhorse lens for the BMC.

And 17mm should be wide enough for 90% of all situations.
I think I skip the Tokina completely and get one of those instead.

Fabián Matas
01-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Congrats Nick, did you get your cam by the preorder you placed or you bought it to other person? When did you place your pre-order?

nickjbedford
01-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Yeah it works well as a quick setup lens. Focusing is quick mainly because the EF USM ring is so non-linear. It's not ideal, but sometimes ideal, if you know what I mean.

Granted I have a lot more testing to do. I'll say this, it's not a low-light camera in that if you starve it of light you will see considerable noise when bringing up the exposure. Feed it a good exposure and it'll be fine. Feed it a clipping point exposure and it'll be really clean.

Fluoro
01-11-2013, 07:41 AM

Both would be pretty good. 11-16 and 17-55 seem like perfect companions. Everything from roughly 18mm to 85mm (s35 equivalent) in two lenses.

morgan_moore
01-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Its a bit slow - I might start a thread but im thinking the tokina 12-24 is worth a spin, IMO Tokina are some of the nicer consumer zooms

t.p.
01-11-2013, 08:05 AM
congratz nick , hope to see some tests when you have the time

Frank Glencairn
01-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Focusing is quick mainly because the EF USM ring is so non-linear. It's not ideal, but sometimes ideal, if you know what I mean.

Actually the motorized focus is the only thing, that worries me a bit - are repeatable focus pulls possible, when you use a FF?

nickjbedford
01-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Actually the motorized focus is the only thing, that worries me a bit - are repeatable focus pulls possible, when you use a FF?

Yeah that's what I meant. It's easy to quickly pull focus handheld with peaking because the focus throw is so short, but as a serious shooting lens with a follow focus it wouldn't be made for it.

EF USM lenses are generally awkward for that kinda stuff.

@Sam, yeah f/2.8 at ASA 800 is a little slow for lower light situations. You really do want to aim to saturate the sensor.

Frank Glencairn
01-11-2013, 09:15 AM
How does the IS work when panning handheld?

rick.lang
01-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Both would be pretty good. 11-16 and 17-55 seem like perfect companions. Everything from roughly 18mm to 85mm (s35 equivalent) in two lenses.

I think you must be thinking of a 1.6x multiplier which would apply to APS-C. For the BMCC, using a multiplier of 2.3, the equivalent range would be about 25mm through 126mm.

Matthew Bennett
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Wow! Finally Nick!

jeebus
01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Congrats on getting your camera! Looking forward to seeing your work with it!

Brad Ferrell
01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I think you must be thinking of a 1.6x multiplier which would apply to APS-C. For the BMCC, using a multiplier of 2.3, the equivalent range would be about 25mm through 126mm.

s35 equivalents. Full Frame is a stills term and carries with it the some of the visual language of 35mm photography.

Brad Ferrell
01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Congratulations. I could see your mood go up and down over the last few months. At least that trip is over...

markmwilliams
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Congrats Nick. Really pleased you now have your camera and can't wait to see the grades you produce on your own DNG's. Just out of interest, as I've gone MFT so no IS do the jitters play havoc with the rolling shutter or do you think it's pretty acceptable?

CaptainHook
01-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Congrats on getting your camera Nick! Great news! :)

Andrew
01-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Congrats! Good thing come to those that wait!

rick.lang
01-11-2013, 08:32 PM
s35 equivalents. Full Frame is a stills term and carries with it the some of the visual language of 35mm photography.

Thanks Brad. My brain took a vacation today.

nickjbedford
01-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone. Haven't been outta the house with it yet though I have one annoying issue with Resolve 9.0.4.

I can't seem to find anywhere where I can tell Resolve to preview the image in full resolution. It displays it in the preview as if I'm editing SD material. Frustrating!

I have an iMac with no external monitor and its running on an OpenCL enabled AMD Radeon 6990M.

dustylense
01-12-2013, 12:14 AM
What NLE do you use Nick?

nickjbedford
01-12-2013, 12:20 AM
I use Final Cut Pro X.

Here's two DNG frames that show the maximised exposure method. They're a few stops brighter than they need to be.

Nothing special. Like I said I haven't had a chance to go anywhere with it yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iidebxqqsm5ck0r/otNqvG9i2L

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/plant_frame.jpg

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/tree_frame.jpg

dustylense
01-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Cool. Played with the leaf image. First thing I noticed is that your camera seems less noisy than every other BMDC image I've ever played with. I wonder....1993

nickjbedford
01-12-2013, 12:50 AM
The main thing is that I used auto iris to bring the exposure up to either the maximum aperture (f/2.8) or the maximum clipping point. It was 2 stops or more over which means that the noise level drops significantly when you correct for this overexposure (but not clipping).

dustylense
01-12-2013, 12:55 AM
I realize that. I too have been following the forums and knew before the camera was even announced about shooting DNG. Again, I've played with LOT's of samples shot under the same conditions and you file is less grainy than those I've seen. Nick, I've shot DNG captures since 2005.

morgan_moore
01-12-2013, 01:35 AM
Well done Nick!

That leaf frame is one of the few frames that I have seen that are properly, in fact perfectly, exposed.

Reads as the perfect ETTR in the some what contraversial to some Capture One.

Dusty - I think all the noise is just under exposure as I have said a hundred times now.

S

dustylense
01-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Well done Nick!

That leaf frame is one of the few frames that I have seen that are properly, in fact perfectly, exposed.

Reads as the perfect ETTR in the some what contraversial to some Capture One.

Dusty - I think all the noise is just under exposure as I have said a hundred times now.

S
GUYS! I get the exposure thing and DNG. Known it before the camera even existed. It's true of ALL digital RAW files. What I'm saying is that with samples shot in similar lighting (a well fed exposure) that Nicks camera came off less noisy and was noticed right off the bat upon playing with it. It's an observation, not a fact.

morgan_moore
01-12-2013, 01:43 AM
When a frame looks like this, unmodded in C1 it has IMO a perfect textbook, ETTR, no info in the noise zone, exposure..

morgan_moore
01-12-2013, 01:44 AM
GUYS! I get the exposure thing and DNG. Known it before the camera even existed. It's true of ALL digital RAW files. What I'm saying is that with samples shot in similar lighting (a well fed exposure) that Nicks camera came off less noisy and was noticed right off the bat upon playing with it. It's an observation, not a fact.

Seriously IMO 90% of the BMC frames we have seen so far have been two under.

CaptainHook
01-12-2013, 01:53 AM
I can't seem to find anywhere where I can tell Resolve to preview the image in full resolution. It displays it in the preview as if I'm editing SD material. Frustrating!

This option only became available recently since it's always been intended that you use a dedicated card for video output! On mac you press command+f (i guess control+f on windows?) in the colour page to make the image go full screen. In 9.0.3 you could right click the image prior to doing this and choose the option to display it at 'actual size' and fullscreen would 'honour' that setting even if you resolution is higher (so as to not scale the image up) but it seems like in 9.0.4 is just goes full screen and scales the image. :( You can also add option/alt to the key command to get the stills/node pages to disappear instead of full screen which at least on my screen with an image cropped to 2.35 can fit the whole image without scaling so that's okay. At least i think this is what you're asking for?

Frank Glencairn
01-12-2013, 03:14 AM
Don't want to be on your nerves Nick, you probably just overlooked my question, but how does the IS behave, when panning handheld?

Kholi
01-12-2013, 04:31 AM
The main thing is that I used auto iris to bring the exposure up to either the maximum aperture (f/2.8) or the maximum clipping point. It was 2 stops or more over which means that the noise level drops significantly when you correct for this overexposure (but not clipping).

What shutter were those at?

Glad you got your cam.

funwithstuff
01-12-2013, 06:08 AM

If you're buying one, the Sigma 17-50 has IS and is significantly cheaper — there's a thread about it here somewhere. Nice lens.

Liam
01-12-2013, 07:49 AM
ey nick, am I thinking of someone else or was it you that ordered your BMC in..... may/july?

David
01-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Congratulations on getting your camera!

nickjbedford
01-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Don't want to be on your nerves Nick, you probably just overlooked my question, but how does the IS behave, when panning handheld?

The IS is good. Don't think I've tested panning. I'll take a shot handheld barebones with the 17-55mm at 17 and 55mm so you can see.

nickjbedford
01-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I have two ProRes film shots uploading. One is a switch off and on at 17mm. It's very obvious when I switch it off (in the middle).

I have another shot at 55mm pointed at that tree in which I do some rough panning. Also VERY obvious when I turn it off. It's very good for stabilising your shot. I work out but even 17mm can get jittery. The camera isn't that light.

They will be uploaded in about 1 hour.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iidebxqqsm5ck0r/otNqvG9i2L

Kholi
01-12-2013, 05:44 PM
What shutter were those at?

Glad you got your cam.

^^^^

While you're around. Also any ND on the lens?

nickjbedford
01-12-2013, 05:44 PM
As for exposure, it's really very easy to maximise your exposure. If you're lighting a scene, I'd suggest bracketing for normal exposure, using the display to make sure your scene is lit and subjects are lit accordingly, then use auto iris or aperture controls to open up the iris to maximum exposure. Or if you have even more control, turn up the lights haha.

Mind you I haven't done any lighting yet. I may be filming a simple music video based on this test animatic I did a while ago.

https://vimeo.com/39329576

Password is josieproject

nickjbedford
01-12-2013, 05:47 PM
^^^^

While you're around. Also any ND on the lens?

Oh, sorry! Outside I've been using my existing Kenko Pro1 ND4 (2-stop) and CPL filter (roughly 1.3 stops I think) that fit on the 77mm thread. Shutter is always on 180 right now.

I'm not sure what aperture I'm at unfortunately as I don't have FW 1.2.

Kholi
01-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Oh, sorry! Outside I've been using my existing Kenko Pro1 ND4 (2-stop) and CPL filter (roughly 1.3 stops I think) that fit on the 77mm thread. Shutter is always on 180 right now.

I'm not sure what aperture I'm at unfortunately as I don't have FW 1.2.

Oh okay you said 2.8, that's why I asked about the shutter. Thanks.

Matthew Bennett
01-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Damn we really need firmware 1.2. Just taking shots in the dark in regards to doing repeatable testing of any kind...

nickjbedford
01-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Damn we really need firmware 1.2. Just taking shots in the dark in regards to doing repeatable testing of any kind...

Yup! Optimised DNG is one thing. Actually having any idea what the aperture is, is another.

John Brawley
01-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Yup! Optimised DNG is one thing. Actually having any idea what the aperture is, is another.

Nick you should "ask" to be put on the beta list.

JB.

nickjbedford
01-12-2013, 11:40 PM
IS example:

https://vimeo.com/57298029

Mark Broadbent
01-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Hmmm...very interesting Nick. Great results with the IS. Personally I'm running a kit of ZF's, Nikon Tokina 11-16 plus a mixed bag of Nikon glass. This has me thinking down the track I may have to get hold of the odd Canon zoom for heavy handheld jobs.

Don't know if I'm game to bring it up however have you noticed any black spot highlights? Did the classic sun behind head then lean to get flare and scored a nice section of black pixels. Will give BM a buzz on Monday to see who to chat to re any "issues" with a shipped camera.

jpodlesnik
01-13-2013, 01:26 AM
... I'll say this, it's not a low-light camera in that if you starve it of light you will see considerable noise when bringing up the exposure. Feed it a good exposure and it'll be fine. Feed it a clipping point exposure and it'll be really clean. From what this comparison indicates, the BMCC isn't too bad in low light - http://vimeo.com/48407841

morgan_moore
01-13-2013, 02:18 AM
Consistent apertures for testing?.. get a manaul nikkor?

S

nickjbedford
01-13-2013, 06:40 AM
I remembered to do a quick comparison shot between my 5D Mark III and the Blackmagic. It's obvious by now the difference, but here's one more ;)

I shot the 5D in 1080p All-I. Blackmagic in DNG and developed in Adobe Camera Raw with highlights brought back in.

As you can see, the leaves and bricks have almost no detail in the 5D shot. They're just muddy shapes. The sad part is the camera in stills mode is exceptionally detailed and would produce a stunning video if not for the way Canon handle it.

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/Comparison_5D.jpg

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/Comparison_BMCC_DNG.jpg

bowman
01-13-2013, 07:01 AM
IS example:

https://vimeo.com/57298029

Its got me wondering as its not really jello more camera micro shakes if they can be effectively gotten rid of in post or not?

nickjbedford
01-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Its got me wondering as its not really jello more camera micro shakes if they can be effectively gotten rid of in post or not?

The micro shakes add slight jello to the frames. Not only that, they introduce motion blur.

Whenever I've seen post-stabilised shots, it's usually obvious that they've done it because the little random motion blurs from jitters remain.

EndCredits
01-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Im thinking of picking up a MFT BMC down the line when they are available. Does any one know if that RedRock Micro MFT to EF mount adapter allows the IS to work on the canon lenses with IS??

Simon Shasha
01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Nick, at what focal-length is it that you begin to notice the "jitters"?

Do you find IS giving the image a more solid/CCD like feel at wide focal-lengths too?

fcruz
01-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Im thinking of picking up a MFT BMC down the line when they are available. Does any one know if that RedRock Micro MFT to EF mount adapter allows the IS to work on the canon lenses with IS??

Negative, the adepter won't allow IS.

I've been having second thoughts on my EF mount purchase but know that I see this IS test I'm starting to feel very happy with the choice since most of my lenses have IS.

Seems to make quite a difference and a less stressful workflow is always welcomed.

Cengiz Özgök
01-13-2013, 11:42 AM
I download the dng frames from Nick and thinking.....
Can anybody tell me how to focus with this over exposure settings I mean the overexposure settings are necessary to get most of DR (correct me if I'm wrong)
But how can I focus anything sharp I see almost nothing

I hope the ND filters will help

Andrew
01-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Can anybody tell me how to focus with this over exposure settings I mean the overexposure settings are necessary to get most of DR (correct me if I'm wrong)

You can adjust your iso down. This will give you a a better preview on the LCD while not really effecting the raw capture.

Frank Glencairn
01-13-2013, 02:32 PM

I guess you misunderstood the whole concept of DNG exposure.

Trust me, focusing is no problem - at least not because of exposure.
The screen doesn't look like the DNG.

Cengiz Özgök
01-13-2013, 04:13 PM

Ok, that's nice thank you

nihilist
01-13-2013, 04:33 PM

Do you mean that it isn't necessary to buy ND filters because pretty much everything can be solved in Davinci Resolve ?

Frank Glencairn
01-13-2013, 05:21 PM
No, you absolutely need ND filters, but they don't have nothing to do with the picture you see on the monitor.

nickjbedford
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Nick, at what focal-length is it that you begin to notice the "jitters"?

Do you find IS giving the image a more solid/CCD like feel at wide focal-lengths too?

I find it all through the range of that 17-55mm, at least with my arms (and I work out too).

nickjbedford
01-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Do you mean that it isn't necessary to buy ND filters because pretty much everything can be solved in Davinci Resolve ?

Yeah you still need ND filters. ASA 800 1/50th results in f/22 or smaller in broad daylight. f/22 will cause diffraction, let alone a very deep depth of field when you may not want it.

nickjbedford
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
I will have a test video up tonight on Vimeo showing different ProRes options.

800W Redhead as key and 400W halogen work light as back/fill.
No flagging (cause I don't have any!).
Baking paper used to soften the lights a little.
Feathering the lights toward the camera to reduce their exposure on the background.

Minimalist stuff here. Lens is at f/2.8 with a 2-stop Kenko ND4 filter.

ProRes in Video at 4500K, ProRes in Film at 3200K ungraded and graded. I can tell you right now that it is such a relief to be shooting with a camera like this over my experiences with the 5D's footage. It's just clean and crisp and lovely footage.

http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/cbdb1de65def11e2873222000a1f9e77_7.jpg

WhiteRabbit
01-13-2013, 09:30 PM
No, you absolutely need ND filters, but they don't have nothing to do with the picture you see on the monitor.

While considering ND filter options, another consideration is dealing with IR contamination under certain lighting conditions. While IR issues may have already been mentioned here, or in another thread, the AbelCine IR filter test, below, shows that not all IR filter products provide the same result with different cameras. For the BMCC, the Tiffen IR ND series appears to remove the IR contamination and return colour to neutral. When considering ND filters, perhaps consider adding one of these combined IR and ND filters to your kit. You will one day run into this IR problem when shooting and it can be a lot of work to try and fix in post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T9u-1Ib6vo

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Something I'm working on today :)

Shot in ProRes under tungsten at 4500K in Film and graded in Final Cut Pro X.

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/josies_richo.jpg

Tatsuo
01-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Looking good Nick. Now you are tempting me to get the 17-55! Just a question I know that you ordered from AVTECH I was wondering what date you ordered and if you knew what number on the list you were on?

Cheers,

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Looking good Nick. Now you are tempting me to get the 17-55! Just a question I know that you ordered from AVTECH I was wondering what date you ordered and if you knew what number on the list you were on?

Cheers,

17-55mm worked well for this as it was mostly low movement shots. It was very easy to maintain focus handheld as the focus ring is right where the left hand holds the lens. PM'd re order.

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Here is a comparison of the original 4500K ProRes footage (which was a mistake that worked out for the better :) ).

I meant to shoot neutral 3200K but realised it was on 4500K too late so just left it, but it worked to look quite nice when I graded it.

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/grading_comparison_josie.jpg

adam777
01-14-2013, 02:47 AM
Hi Nick.

After using the EF BMCC, would you recommend the EF for the benefit of IS over the MFT for interview/doco work? (i.e. will IS outweigh the benefit of the upcomming SLR Magic 35mm f/0.95 and other great lenses?)

I've been waiting for the MFT but I may switch back :confused:

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 03:25 AM
I honestly couldn't say, myself as I've never used MFT lenses or the MFT version. I do very much enjoy the existence of the IS though as it makes it very easy to handhold and shoot without worry about it looking all jittery.

P.S. My MacBook Air monitor is apparently brighter than I thought. The grade is kinda dark on my calibrated iMac monitor :/

Simon Shasha
01-14-2013, 04:25 AM
I find it all through the range of that 17-55mm, at least with my arms (and I work out too).

From all the reports I've read, people say the rolling shutter of the BMCC is no worse than the 5DMKIII. I've shot a lot of live-event gigs on my 7D and 60D, and in those environments, with people drunk people flying at you from every direction and pyrotechnics going off, I must say I never had any jitters or rolling shutter in my footage, and have kept a relatively still hand over the years. But I still can't help but feel a little paranoid about my switch from EF to MFT, given what you're saying about it being jittery - even at 17mm.

If it wasn't for the fast wides, I would have never switched to MFT. And having just checked SLR Magic's Twitter, they are now working on a 25mm T0.95 MFT lens.

IS is so tempting, and looks so well implemented on the BMCC, but the question which still haunts me day and night is; is F2.8 (which is around T3.1) fast enough?

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 05:01 AM
I'm not sure f/2.8 at ASA 800 is fast enough really. If you have enough light at night, then it may be "okay".

Others may be able to vouch for it though. I haven't done any walks around the city at night yet.

In the meantime, ProRes film is lovely. With a slight sharpen it's delectable. I will never shoot on a DSLR again.

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/jl1.jpg

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/jl2.jpg

ianim8
01-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Didn't realise that, thanks :)

Always best to download the latest anyway as far as Resolve goes :)

tefliux
01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
I will never shoot on a DSLR again.

Need mine ;)

pcenginefx
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi Nick - one question on my mind is, why is your non-IS test footage so jittery at 17mm, but the Colombia Footage in this thread (http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2383-BMCC-in-Colombia-Footage) was shot at 24mm (no IS) has no jitter? (unless every single shot was stabilized in post for the Colombia footage?)

I'm just worried that non-IS BMCC footage will always need to be stablized in post...

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi Nick - one question on my mind is, why is your non-IS test footage so jittery at 17mm, but the Colombia Footage in this thread (http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2383-BMCC-in-Colombia-Footage) was shot at 24mm (no IS) has no jitter? (unless every single shot was stabilized in post for the Colombia footage?)

I'm just worried that non-IS BMCC footage will always need to be stablized in post...

I was trying to hold it as still as possible but I've always experienced jitters without IS when hand holding cameras that weigh a kilo or more. John and others must have some mutant smooth nerve gene or something :p

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 04:37 PM
From all the reports I've read, people say the rolling shutter of the BMCC is no worse than the 5DMKIII. I've shot a lot of live-event gigs on my 7D and 60D, and in those environments, with people drunk people flying at you from every direction and pyrotechnics going off, I must say I never had any jitters or rolling shutter in my footage, and have kept a relatively still hand over the years. But I still can't help but feel a little paranoid about my switch from EF to MFT, given what you're saying about it being jittery - even at 17mm.

The rolling shutter is pretty much exactly the same (measured by One River Media).

Yeah I'm not sure what's happening with my arms but just jitter :p

morgan_moore
01-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I think there might be some linguistic confusion.

Some people would describe handheld as meaning holding the camera naked in their hands (jitter central) and others would describe handheld to mean on a huge battery laden rig on the shoulder?

I would fully expect the cam to be a jitterball mess shot 'naked'

S

davidd
01-14-2013, 05:39 PM
So, nick, what's your understanding of 'handheld'?

thanks
Klaus

mhood
01-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I recall JB shooting "naked" handheld that most considered amazingly smooth and "jitter" free. Crazy ninja skills? Frankly, I wondered more about the stair step aliasing on the guitar strings.

skimmel
01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
I would highly advise against doing any paid jobs shooting naked. :)

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
So, nick, what's your understanding of 'handheld'?

thanks
Klaus

Handheld to me usually refers to holding the camera "nude". Shoulder rig is handheld, but also shoulder-held.

But hey, if it means shoulder rig to other people..

morgan_moore
01-14-2013, 07:06 PM
I think a lot of 'handheld' shots you see are actually shoulder mount eg..

"DP Geoff Boyle using Element Technica’s prototype hand held system for the RED camera."

http://camerarentalz.com/wallander-shot-red-camera/

Really I think 'nude' cameras are no go

S

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 07:11 PM
I think a lot of 'handheld' shots you see are actually shoulder mount eg..

"DP Geoff Boyle using Element Technica’s prototype hand held system for the RED camera."

http://camerarentalz.com/wallander-shot-red-camera/

Really I think 'nude' cameras are no go

S

Well, with a BMCC and a low budget and IS, they are now. If you're shooting with a heavy RED Epic or Alexa rig, it's obvious you're not going to hand hold the camera unless you're the Hulk ;)

morgan_moore
01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Absolutely shoot how you want, use the tech that works.

I think im just noting that the camera is being written off as a jello mess when used in a way that would make 90% of cameras a jello mess - no suprise there!

I guess its no worse than most other (CMOS) cameras

S

Kholi
01-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Well, with a BMCC and a low budget and IS, they are now. If you're shooting with a heavy RED Epic or Alexa rig, it's obvious you're not going to hand hold the camera unless you're the Hulk ;)

XP I'll find a picture of the RED MX setup I shot with handheld most of 2010~11. Weighed somewhere in the neighborhood of 25~30lbs. Loved it. While I like compact rigs because you do move faster, I will miss the simultaneous workout of shooting with heavy equipment.

Much more fun to shoot than to go to the gym.

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, so this is what I shot yesterday. It's only a first edit and it's possible we may try to add narrative, but here it is anyway. It's not meant to be a budgeted "official" music video, just a little project for the band for extra content to put out there.

Please do not share this link and password. Solely for the forum's eyes only as it's not released yet.

https://vimeo.com/57414272

Password is: iamyourfather

dustylense
01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Looks great Nick! I like it. All on the 17-55????

Herb
01-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Nick,

Really dig the feel. Couple of things stand out for me: The sharpness / clarity of the strings and then the bloom off of the pegs. Nice.

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Nick,

Really dig the feel. Couple of things stand out for me: The sharpness / clarity of the strings and then the bloom off of the pegs. Nice.

Thanks guys. The clarity is the greatest part of this camera. The smoothness of the contrast is nice too.

All shot on the 17-55mm. I used hand held (barebones), my shoulder rig and one or two tripod takes.

Paul Stephen Edwards
01-14-2013, 07:42 PM
One of the best things about this forum has been watching you develop your style & grow in your skills. Well done, mate.

mhood
01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Beautiful Nick...I'm a huge fan from this point on. How did you deal with the audio?

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Beautiful Nick...I'm a huge fan from this point on. How did you deal with the audio?

Thanks mhood :)

We used the PA in the room (it's the rehearsal room) to play the track back with 2 bars of metronome at the start for syncing. I just used the camera's in-built mic.

Final Cut Pro X did it's usual perfect multicam clip sync job from the recorded audio :D I always add some click before the song begins as it makes it easy for FCPX to sync.

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 07:49 PM
It would be very handy for the firmware to add crop bars...

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 07:56 PM
One of the best things about this forum has been watching you develop your style & grow in your skills. Well done, mate.

Thanks mate. Really appreciate it ^_^

skimmel
01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Nick, really really nice work! (non-gear related: did you do multiple shoots of the entire performance at different angles and then piece together in post?)

rick.lang
01-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks mhood :)

We used the PA in the room (it's the rehearsal room) to play the track back with 2 bars of metronome at the start for syncing. I just used the camera's in-built mic.

Final Cut Pro X did it's usual perfect multicam clip sync job from the recorded audio :D I always add some click before the song begins as it makes it easy for FCPX to sync.

Am I understanding you correctly? You did not use an external mic, only the camera's mic! It did so well on the vocals. Overall great shooting, Nick.

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Nick, really really nice work! (non-gear related: did you do multiple shoots of the entire performance at different angles and then piece together in post?)

Thanks! Yeah I think I did around 10-12 takes plus a few cut aways afterwards (such as the OOF fairy lights).

Am I understanding you correctly? You did not use an external mic, only the camera's mic! It did so well on the vocals. Overall great shooting, Nick.

Ahh, sorry, shoulda mentioned that specifically. It's actually performed to the studio track. Kind of an unofficial music video you might say. But I used the camera's mic to record the takes when synchronising the angles to marry up with the studio recording.

You'll notice there's cello and backing vocals and guitars in there at times :p

icicle22
01-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Great job on the video. I realize that you used a prerecorded studio track but I am curious how the audio on the BMC sounds? I am totally aware that it will not be able to touch a proper microphone and boom operator, but is comparable to the onboard mic of a DSLR? Like the 7D or 5D? I do occassionally find scenarios where I need "decent" audio from the onboard microphones and I found the 7D to "acceptable" for typical event sound when needed. Is the BMCC the same....or is the mic just a "dog" and only ever going to be good enough for syncing tracks. Oh...and did the mic on the BMCC pick up the IS from the 17-55mm? I have the same lens and my 7D picks this up sometimes when it is quiet.

Thanks and Congrats on the Camera....hope I'll be joining the ranks soon. Just ordered the Grid BMC Loupe in anticipation of a camera in the next week or two.

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Great job on the video. I realize that you used a prerecorded studio track but I am curious how the audio on the BMC sounds? I am totally aware that it will not be able to touch a proper microphone and boom operator, but is comparable to the onboard mic of a DSLR? Like the 7D or 5D? I do occassionally find scenarios where I need "decent" audio from the onboard microphones and I found the 7D to "acceptable" for typical event sound when needed. Is the BMCC the same....or is the mic just a "dog" and only ever going to be good enough for syncing tracks. Oh...and did the mic on the BMCC pick up the IS from the 17-55mm? I have the same lens and my 7D picks this up sometimes when it is quiet.

Thanks and Congrats on the Camera....hope I'll be joining the ranks soon. Just ordered the Grid BMC Loupe in anticipation of a camera in the next week or two.

Thanks. Hmm, I honestly didn't listen much to the audio (just told FCPX to sync and got on with the show). I think it sounded similar to that of a DSLR onboard mic I suppose.

kriscolavecchio
01-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Nice work man. Love all your grades you've been posting by the way :)
How'd you like the 17-55 range? I just picked up the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC.

nickjbedford
01-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Nice work man. Love all your grades you've been posting by the way :)
How'd you like the 17-55 range? I just picked up the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC.

It's a very handy range. It goes wide enough for most things so far, though it isn't "wide" wide. 55mm is a relatively decent tele focal length too :)

rick.lang
01-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks! Ahh, sorry, shoulda mentioned that specifically. It's actually performed to the studio track. Kind of an unofficial music video you might say. But I used the camera's mic to record the takes when synchronising the angles to marry up with the studio recording.

You'll notice there's cello and backing vocals and guitars in there at times :p

Yes, I just thought you added that other material from another source but when you mentioned the camera mic, it threw me off. Always good to have the camera mic running just to aid sync as you did. I've videotaped one of my daughters singing with multiple takes and multiple sound recordings--always fun to get it to sync. Your results looked better!

sam tansey
01-15-2013, 02:11 AM
Really nice grade there. contrast and skin tones looks spot on to me.

nickjbedford
01-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Really nice grade there. contrast and skin tones looks spot on to me.

Thanks mate. Here's the steps I took (the later ones are hard to see here).

Original:

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/1original.jpg

Contrast and colour:

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/2color.jpg

Vignette:

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/3vignette.jpg

Increased saturation on blue lights (colour key):

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/4bluelights.jpg

Sharpen:

http://www.nickbedford.com/uploads/5sharpen.jpg

nickjbedford
01-15-2013, 03:00 AM
Hehe

http://i.qkme.me/3skm26.jpg

vidguy22
01-15-2013, 03:19 AM

well, I've been away a while, can someone tell me why this is supposedly better results than my GH2 gives me , cause I don't see it.

nickjbedford
01-15-2013, 03:28 AM

well, I've been away a while, can someone tell me why this is supposedly better results than my GH2 gives me , cause I don't see it.

Thanks for contributing.

Andrew
01-15-2013, 04:14 AM
Looking really good Nick!

funwithstuff
01-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Very nice work! One request: could you please enable 1080p on Vimeo? It's under Video Settings > Video File, under Upgrade this video. Defaults are only 720p, which is OK for DSLR footage but which limits the BMCC.

(I'm getting my cam tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have something worth sharing myself soon.)

nickjbedford
01-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Very nice work! One request: could you please enable 1080p on Vimeo? It's under Video Settings > Video File, under Upgrade this video. Defaults are only 720p, which is OK for DSLR footage but which limits the BMCC.

(I'm getting my cam tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have something worth sharing myself soon.)

Done! Didn't realise that was a thing (uploaded 1080p straight from FCPX).

kbmediaonline
01-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Just saw the video. Nick, you make me sick :p

funwithstuff
01-15-2013, 06:38 AM
Done! Didn't realise that was a thing (uploaded 1080p straight from FCPX).

Awesome. Looks fantastic, a world of detail just not there in DSLRland.

DJJ
01-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Great song, great musician, and the bloke with the camera did a good job as well ;)

Enjoyed that, kudos.

Bluntforce
01-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Very nice Nick. I dig!!

icicle22
01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
I just saw that you used a 2 stop ND filter for this shoot. Seems odd that you would need it with the small amount of light that you mentioned using. Can you elaborate on this? was wide open at 2.8 too hot? I wouldn't think so in this lighting environment but I'd love to hear your reasons. Thx.

itimjim
01-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Excellent. Well done Nick.

Trevor Roach
01-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Nice job Nick! I'll be mainly shooting ProRes, so it's nice to see some footage of that!

Really like the music too! haha

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Nice job Nick! I'll be mainly shooting ProRes, so it's nice to see some footage of that! ...

+1

Nice job, Nick!

nickjbedford
01-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks all :) Appreciate it!

I just saw that you used a 2 stop ND filter for this shoot. Seems odd that you would need it with the small amount of light that you mentioned using. Can you elaborate on this? was wide open at 2.8 too hot? I wouldn't think so in this lighting environment but I'd love to hear your reasons. Thx.

I had the ND4 and CPL filters attached to the lens and at ASA 800 with the 800W tungy only about 1.5m away, having both on turned out to be too dark, but the ND4 at f/2.8 was spot on and also left the occasional light reflection in the guitar not crazy blown out. I could have probably done a "maximised exposure" if I took it off, but here the correct exposure method worked perfectly.

Nice job Nick! I'll be mainly shooting ProRes, so it's nice to see some footage of that!

Really like the music too! haha

It's sad to see the detailed, smooth image in ProRes then watch the Vimeo compressed H.264 file afterwards :(

nickjbedford
01-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Nick you should "ask" to be put on the beta list.

JB.

Done :)

thegregferris
01-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I go overseas on holdays for five weeks and Nick gets a camera. Congrats!

And congrats on the footage, it's great.

nickjbedford
01-19-2013, 09:04 PM
It's nothing special on the editing part, but I'm uploading a bunch of harsh midday ProRes shots with their accompanying grade in Final Cut Pro X to Vimeo.

I'm continually astonished at the detail that is captured in these files. Mind you, this is with a slight sharpen applied. There is a tiny bit of fringing on those little pixel thin branches. But hey, I doubt anyone's going to notice.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5963/vlcsnap2013012011h59m41.jpg

Roman
01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Great video! Nice to see someone putting this camera to use. Hopefully there will be many more videos to come.

nickjbedford
01-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Here it is embedded. Silly Vimeo and its default 720p encoding is lame so you may have to wait a bit to see full HD.

https://vimeo.com/57768981

I'm producing a music video from a local alt-rock band in the next month or two. Well produced, solid band. Going to be a lot of fun!

AndrewDeme
01-20-2013, 01:18 AM
You know Nick I like the way you shoot, light, shadows, layers......it's all good.....no pressure but am looking forward to see the results of your next music video !

dustylense
01-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Can I be critical here Nick? Do you own a tripod? If so... Use it. Takes all of 5 secs to mount the camera to it.

bowman
01-20-2013, 03:11 AM
I thought the IS in this example really didn't look good. Even when it didn't jerk it didn't have a nice smooth feel to the movement. Starting to feel better about going with the MFT and dealing with camera shake without IS to be honest.

I expect you will use a rig anyway for proper shooting...

personally I think the extra width I hope to get with the MFT and metabones adapter and or using SLR magic wides and who knows anamorphic will be a better way to get nice movement with handheld or using a monopod.

AndrewDeme
01-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Can I be critical here Nick? Do you own a tripod? If so... Use it. Takes all of 5 secs to mount the camera to it.

Tripods are over rated....just makes everything look the same and with any luck will go the way of the Record Player.

bowman
01-20-2013, 03:15 AM
Tripods are over rated....just makes everything look the same and with any luck will go the way of the Record Player.

Tripods don't make everything look the same, uncreative shots and editing makes everything look the same. I like and prefer handheld, but it doesn't mean your a creative shooter, it's just a trend at the moment. Very controlled shots with rigs are really how most movies are shot, not handheld.

AndrewDeme
01-20-2013, 03:18 AM
Yeah I get the whole steady shot thing as I for one hate jerky movement but really....in years to come cheap robots will perform anything that a person could do on a tripod. The real skill for humans will be handheld.

sam tansey
01-20-2013, 03:52 AM
Watching this reminds me of a video a did 18 months ago where I left IS turned on and chose to move the camera around a fair bit. I got loads of jittery looking movement and it really limited the amount of footage we had to work with when editing. For quick shots like this where you want to move the camera I have found it's better to have IS turned off and use a tripod/monopod (could be anything that adds weight) hanging off the bottom of the camera to add some stability.

Taikonaut
01-20-2013, 04:23 AM
Watching this reminds me of a video a did 18 months ago where I left IS turned on and chose to move the camera around a fair bit. I got loads of jittery looking movement and it really limited the amount of footage we had to work with when editing. For quick shots like this where you want to move the camera I have found it's better to have IS turned off and use a tripod/monopod (could be anything that adds weight) hanging off the bottom of the camera to add some stability.

Same here. Much happier with IS off as it induce dragging and skipping effect when panning. IS on dSLR lenses were design for stills and the only advantage I could find for video is when no panning is involved but then I use a tripod.

nickjbedford
01-20-2013, 04:27 AM
I know what a tripod is. I used it on some other shots I didn't include for the same of brevity.

I agree about IS. It's not great in panning. I was running and gunning on the way to a location so most of the time I didn't bother to use a tripod.

Not defending, just sayin that this was just a bright daylight ProRes test for myself which i decided to show you all more than making cinema.

P.S. anyone who thinks tripods are overrated is shooting themselves in the foot.

bowman
01-20-2013, 04:51 AM
Or their tripod leg.

Taikonaut
01-20-2013, 04:51 AM
The only consumer grade interchangeble lenses that is specifically made with video in mind were image stabalization works well is the Lumix OIS lenses design for their MFT cameras. A fully active MFT mount on the BMC is the answer.

AndrewDeme
01-20-2013, 05:17 AM
Anyone seen Red Dog ?

AndrewDeme
01-20-2013, 05:19 AM
Or Puberty Blues ?

Wuudi
01-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Yikes stop complaining about the handheld. This was harsh midday sunlight? GOSH is all I can say or wow or look at this dynamic range and the color rendering, lovely. Imho it seems to me the first part was a little bit cloudy wasn't it?

Taikonaut
01-20-2013, 06:36 AM
Of course there are certain appeal to deliberate shakes to give a sort of POV look to a scene that demands it, but that doesn't mean we need to put up with camera shakes when we don't want it and that is most of the time for many of us.

Frank Glencairn
01-20-2013, 06:43 AM
The only consumer grade interchangeble lenses that is specifically made with video in mind were image stabalization works well is the Lumix OIS lenses design for their MFT cameras.

The FS100 kit lens with the 2 stage stabilizer, also does an amazing job. In the second stage it's floating, almost like a steadycam.

nickjbedford
01-20-2013, 06:46 AM
Like I said. It's not meant to be a piece of cinematic wonder. It's a certain grading test which you may or may not get something out of watching.

It confirmed some things for me.

bowman
01-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Yikes stop complaining about the handheld. This was harsh midday sunlight? GOSH is all I can say or wow or look at this dynamic range and the color rendering, lovely. Imho it seems to me the first part was a little bit cloudy wasn't it?

Yikes stop missing the flow of the discussion. No one is 'complaining' about the handheld...a few are commenting on the IS which is a lens function.

Fabián Matas
01-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Like I said. It's not meant to be a piece of cinematic wonder. It's a certain grading test which you may or may not get something out of watching.

It confirmed some things for me.

If I can ask, What things?

nickjbedford
01-20-2013, 03:55 PM
If I can ask, What things?

Well, one thing was that the shoot it bright, grade it dark thing works fine in ProRes log in FCPX the same way shooting DNGs with maximised exposure works. I didn't super expose all the shots. It's very hard to see the screen when most of it is almost white haha.

It's probably possible to simply shoot ASA 200 provided you're not clipping zebras if you know that's how you might rate the grade in post (2 stops under). Over brightened exposure is difficult to shoot without a LUT.

Also that IS and panning is a bit rough looking, at least on that lens. It sometimes sways here and there. Granted, a dolly and tripod is usually a better choice anyway for things like that, or simply a tripod. IS is handy for run and gun stuff.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
01-21-2013, 12:21 AM
... Over brightened exposure is difficult to shoot without a LUT. ...

Thanks for sharing this footage, Nick.

Did you have the LCD set to Video while the record mode was Film?

nickjbedford
01-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Yeah even when it's set to Video, the fact that it's up within the top 20% of the dynamic range makes it hard to see focus peaking and frame contents.

This may be something that could be helped with firmware that shoots ASA 800 ProRes yet, shows it rated differently (when set).

sam tansey
01-21-2013, 02:06 AM
Is there any benefit to avoiding shooting below 800asa in pro res though? Zeberas still tell you if you are clipping don't they?

Does it depend on how the camera adjusts things to reduce "asa" ie does it adjust lift, gamma, gain or a combination of all three? Does it just make a curves adjustment?

If it leaves black and white points where they are and just adjusts things on a curve to give an exposure then what would be the benefit of overexposing? After all this it what you be the first thing to do in your raw workflow anyway? If you have an image that doesn't utilise the full range of your 10bit codec then all you are doing is throwing away information. If all the information is squished in the top quarter of your 10bit log style dynamic range and then you unpack it by dropping lift and gamma, do you not end up effectively with an 8bit image?

Not trying to argue just trying to understand it myself.

nickjbedford
01-21-2013, 02:26 AM
I don't think there is much trouble in rating it back to "normal" (for example, ASA 200 if you're roughly 2 stops over) as long as you still expose the sensor properly. I think it's probably just something I need to test on its own actually. Shooting over and bringing back, or rating it in the camera for ProRes.

In the end, it's either the camera or your grading suite which will do the exposure pull.

jambredz
01-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah even when it's set to Video, the fact that it's up within the top 20% of the dynamic range makes it hard to see focus peaking and frame contents.

This may be something that could be helped with firmware that shoots ASA 800 ProRes yet, shows it rated differently (when set).

yeh this is my fear...seeing the contents of the image to actually shoot properly (focus and frame ect) if exposing to the right to give it a fat signal. I know Frank and the others have said it doesn't look nearly as "blown" on the camera LCD in video mode...but it still may be an issue to see whats going on. ah well ...when I get a camera i'll see how to deal with that :)

nickjbedford
02-05-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm selling my Carl Zeiss Distagon ZE 35mm F/1.4 lens (Canon EF mount).

I only bought it brand new in September and haven't really used it much, hence why I'm selling. I'd like to keep it within Australia if possible but I suppose I could ship it internationally if the associated postage costs are covered.

Starting at $1,500 AUD or near offer. Bought it for about $2K. This picture is of my copy about an hour ago. Great condition with box etc.

Anyone interested?

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6351/jc8a29412.jpg

CaptainHook
02-05-2013, 11:53 PM
What are you gonna use instead Nick? Just curious. :)

jambredz
02-05-2013, 11:56 PM
why you selling it? Not satisfied?

nickjbedford
02-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Well, I just haven't really bothered using it with the BMCC. It may come in handy, but I'm doing a bit of prioritising with personal stuff at the moment and so if I'm not using it, I figured I should sell it to someone who will. You may have noticed I've been sorta quiet on the forums lately.

I've barely used it for photography on the 5D Mark III since getting the 24-70mm F/2.8L II.

jambredz
02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Yeh I did kinda wonder where the heck you were...figured you were shooting up a storm :). Looking fwd to seeing something more from you.

nickjbedford
02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Haha yeah I have a music video in the pipeline for a local band though I haven't started shooting yet.

nickjbedford
02-12-2013, 01:39 AM
I've put it up on eBay if anyone was interested.

http://r.ebay.com/rGaXoF

CaptainHook
02-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Edit, nevermind. :P