PDA

View Full Version : BMCC in Colombia Footage

Juls
01-08-2013, 09:33 PM
95% of the footage filmed with BMCC with Canon 24mm 1.4

https://vimeo.com/56363762

Good to know it can survive in reasonably harsh conditions.

jambredz
01-08-2013, 09:51 PM
thanks for posting. Lots of soft focus but I suspect you (or whoever the OP is) was shooting wide open alot. Shots look nice...and colour looks great also. Was this shot in prores/dnxhd? what kind of rig did you have on hand? and what did you use for ND? what was the other camera? there was a stark difference :)

Juls
01-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Totally agree on the soft focus, main reason for this is purely due to lack of battery. My batteries got messed up by the first hotel and was playing catch up trying to get them back to me for the entire trip. This meant when i was shooting the camera would be off right up until the shot was taken and whenever you switch back on the cam automatically resets iris to full open, often not leaving enough time to reset iris and then get the shot. (Annoying feature of non manual iris lenses)

once again about 95% of it shot in RAW, with a couple shots in prores.

Only rig was a manfrotto monopod (the one with the 3 little feet on the bottom)

ND was the now replaced lightcraft workshop fader. (since been replaced, probably a blessing because it seems crazy soft when combined with 70-200 on BMCC)

jambredz
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
yeh that light craft fader is a piece of crap. Check this out...just as good as the heliopan(better in some ways) and cheaper. http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2012/12/06/genustech-eclipse-fader-nd-filter-sets-new-standard-all-for-165-us/

Juls
01-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Forgot to answer in first reply but other cam with a 5D mk2.

Yer 2 steps ahead, purchased that exact filter already and leaving to film in NZ tomorrow. Should be a good test for it.

Jeff
01-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Forgot to answer in first reply but other cam with a 5D mk2.

Yer 2 steps ahead, purchased that exact filter already and leaving to film in NZ tomorrow. Should be a good test for it.

Where are you from? and the shot with the palm trees with the think grassy mountains was amazing. ;D

Ryo
01-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Thank you for posting! Awesome job on the video! Loved it. Did you have an overall positive experience with the BMC out in the field compared to your 5d? Did you feel a need to have an EVF?

Juls
01-08-2013, 11:33 PM
From Australia

Missing audio meters from 5D and added weather sealing peace of mind but other than that bmcc is fine. Own a zacuto evf for my 5D but very rarely use it. Didn't really miss it on bmcc, although it would of been handy for a bit of extra stability and monitoring when there's too much glare on the LCD.

Charlie Doom
01-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Thank you for posting this and great work! Please, this is not a criticism of your work (the video is beautiful and interesting), but a curiosity of the functions of the camera as these videos are the only "hands-on" experience many people have with the camera. I noticed there was some stuttering during pans and tilts, was that the monopod or the camera? I've heard the GH3 has problems with stuttering during movements so I'm wondering if it's a similar thing here?

taubkin
01-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Some very harsh lighting conditions in the amazon jungle. Did you have to go to iso 800 very often? It can get rather dark under the tree coverage... Incredible performance in those conditions. The colors of the jungle especially.

Juls
01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
The shaky pans is definitely 100% the monopod

All footage was shot at asa800

bowman
01-10-2013, 09:23 AM
In terms of image and editing, nice. In terms of filmmaking I think it failed due to absence of natural sound or communicating almost nothing. I often see these reports of a trip done like this, just shots with an unrelated to the scene guitar soundtrack. stills would ultimately done the same job.

rick.lang
01-10-2013, 12:09 PM
95% of the footage filmed with BMCC with Canon 24mm 1.4

https://vimeo.com/56363762

Good to know it can survive in reasonably harsh conditions.

Juls, my wife from Colombia loved the video! Many memories for her as she had done part of the tour you filmed. Her father is also from one of the areas you visited, Villa de Leyva (Boyaca). Thanks.

I would not have gone swimming in the water even though it is clean water, because there may be piraņa there!

mbeck
01-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Loved it! good stuff!

Mark Tierney
01-14-2013, 12:27 AM
@bowman

Thank you for that 10 cent opinion. I'm certain the film served the purpose he meant for it, or do you know telepathically what that purpose was? I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be a narrative doco. While stills could also have done the job, because he shot it in video, and on the BMDCC we've bothered to watch it. Be positive, or be quiet.