PDA

View Full Version : My 1st 5 minutes filming whilst it got dark

Craig
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
https://vimeo.com/56960791

I have never submitted any footage on a forum before....so please dont rip me apart.
Yes its a bit noisy and yes it could be better but its my first go...got cam this morning and have never used anything better than an af101...Thanks BM.
I attacked this footage with Magic Bullet, shot in DNXHD, about 20 seconds long.

Craig

rick.lang
01-07-2013, 11:06 PM

I have never submitted any footage on a forum before....so please dont rip me apart.
Yes its a bit noisy and yes it could be better but its my first go...got cam this morning and have never used anything better than an af101...Thanks BM.
I attacked this footage with Magic Bullet, shot in DNXHD, about 20 seconds long.

Craig

Hard to rip it apart when I don't have permission to see the video! :confused:

Kholi
01-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Probably because of someone's completely mean-spirited comment on the video.

Craig
01-07-2013, 11:23 PM
I hate the Internet. Lol
It should be working now.
The camera is a joy and It has left me smiling, just felt a duty to post something.

kevin baggott
01-07-2013, 11:28 PM
nice stuff :))))

nickjbedford
01-07-2013, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, Craig.

To be honest, I'm probably not going to post something until it resembles the polish of some of the videos in the Showcase thread. And then any haters can bite my shiny metal ass, unless its helpful critique that I can learn from.

When I get my camera, of course :-/

rick.lang
01-07-2013, 11:31 PM
I hate the Internet. Lol
It should be working now.
The camera is a joy and It has left me smiling, just felt a duty to post something.

Thanks, Craig, I can view it now. Sweet first shot!

rick.lang
01-07-2013, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, Craig.

To be honest, I'm probably not going to post something until it resembles the polish of some of the videos in the Showcase thread. And then any haters can bite my shiny metal ass, unless its helpful critique that I can learn from.

When I get my camera, of course :-/

Just post whenever you feel the urge to share. With your talents at composition and grading, we're gonna love your work!

Darryl Gregory
01-07-2013, 11:43 PM
I posted a comment on Vimeo, it was not harsh at all, honest yes and blunt maybe,
What is it with you people not being honest?
is there some sacrificial membership I some how missed out on?
I work hard for my money, I work on professional jobs daily,
I also do not pull punches when someone asks that their work be judged.

I'm honest, I'm also kind, but I'm not honest if I tell you "It looks wonderful" when It does not.

nickjbedford
01-07-2013, 11:54 PM
I posted a comment on Vimeo, it was not harsh at all, honest yes and blunt maybe,
What is it with you people not being honest?
is there some sacrificial membership I some how missed out on?
I work hard for my money, I work on professional jobs daily,
I also do not pull punches when someone asks that their work be judged.

I'm honest, I'm also kind, but I'm not honest if I tell you "It looks wonderful" when It does not.

We can't see the Vimeo comment so I can't speculate on why it got the response it has...

rick.lang
01-07-2013, 11:57 PM
We can't see the Vimeo comment so I can't speculate on why it got the response it has...

The comment I saw was a very helpful and constructive, "Ouch."

nickjbedford
01-07-2013, 11:59 PM
The comment I saw was a very helpful and constructive, "Ouch."

That comment was made by the video owner, though. Hence my confusion.

nickjbedford
01-08-2013, 12:12 AM
It might help Craig if comments about his shooting and grading actually helped him improve. I would expect the same thing.

Here's a few hopefully helpful points from my own aesthetics.

Lessen the vignette, it's a little strong to me.
Perhaps lessen the impact the blueish tone is having on the image, but I do like the eeriness it adds to the subject and the mood of the audio.
The flicker at the end is good.
Even though this was just a quick experiment, I would have tried to add in a wider shot to frame the subject (the statue).

But hey, this is your first 5 minutes with the thing.

marshallbaker
01-08-2013, 12:19 AM
"I also do not pull punches when someone asks that their work be judged"

I missed the part where he asked to have it judged? Since he didn't ask for that and I can't see your comment I can only assume your comment was douche bag worthy, given the "First 5 minutes w camera" situation

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 01:57 AM
"I also do not pull punches when someone asks that their work be judged"

I missed the part where he asked to have it judged? Since he didn't ask for that and I can't see your comment I can only assume your comment was douche bag worthy, given the "First 5 minutes w camera" situation

You are correct he did not ask for it to be judged, but then again why post it if you don't want it judged or critiqued
as far as "I can only assume your comment was douche bag worthy" Not at all, I was honest, the only douche bag worthy comment is yours as far as i can tell.

Now back off with your douche bag worthy comments when you don't know of what you speak. :P

Bxl
01-08-2013, 03:51 AM
Oh boy, people are getting so angry in here... cameras better start coming soon I guess. :-)

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Oh boy, people are getting so angry in here... cameras better start coming soon I guess. :-)

Listen I'm not angry, Confused as to why members are attacking me? Yes! I only post my opinion, I never try and degrade
any individual on their work or their comment, But I'm always straight forward Honest and yes maybe hard at times,
But it's not my job to be holding hands singing kumbaya at the camp fire every time a new camera comes along.

bowman
01-08-2013, 04:22 AM
Seems pretty good if you were trying for creepy ghost story atmosphere, if it was for a wedding video maybe not so good. :p

In all seriousness I'm not sure anyone can really critique a few seconds of footage when as the OP said its was some shots grabbed at night and pulled about in editing. Saying that the few seconds had an interesting arty feel to them, better than many peoples "professional" work posted. Be interested to see more when you have time to do something proper but beware if you do post it you are fair game for the wolves as you have probably realized by now.

dustylense
01-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Well, I think the only thing wrong with the video is that it's too short.

@Darryl It's unfortunate that the OP had to disable his comments on the video link leaving an OUCH when makes me believe you went a bit harsh on a TEST! I think he just wanted to share in his excitement over getting the camera and now being here on the forums, a part of a community
So I will step up and get honest with you. Lets see your work buddy. One thing I've learned viewing footage online is that there are all sorts of styles and experience in taking pictures, be it motion or stills. I look at pictures the same as the old saying, "There is no such thing as a stupid question". Especially when it comes from someone trying to develop.

Ya see, I have no problem with the OP's grade, framing, focus or any decision he made. It's like telling Van Gogh he uses yellow too much. It was his vision of the moment and he posted a test. There are lots of skill levels here and even the best can learn from the inexperienced.

To the OP... Get out there tomorrow and shoot some stuff. If you are having issues with image, workflow, ask users like Kholi whats up? But do continue sharing your images.

dustylense
01-08-2013, 04:29 AM
Seems pretty good if you were trying for creepy ghost story atmosphere, if it was for a wedding video maybe not so good. :p
Some people like wedding videos like that :mad:

adam777
01-08-2013, 04:31 AM

Pretty good for the first 5 minutes of using any camera. It reminded me of the "Weeping Angel" episodes of Doctor Who where the statue moves towards the victim whenever they blink or the lights go out. Its the only time I've wanted the lights on watching TV :)

bowman
01-08-2013, 04:41 AM
One thing I will critique though and I recognize its subjective and its not your work but your software.I would get your copy of Magic Bullet and go smash it against the nearest wall, and when your done smash it some more.

I hate it, learn to color correct with less set looks software, ideally Resolve. but please get rid of that evil software that does indeed deserve a magic bullet, to its yellow over saturated gamma head.

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Well, I think the only thing wrong with the video is that it's too short.

@Darryl It's unfortunate that the OP had to disable his comments on the video link leaving an OUCH when makes me believe you went a bit harsh on a TEST! I think he just wanted to share in his excitement over getting the camera and now being here on the forums, a part of a community
So I will step up and get honest with you. Lets see your work buddy. One thing I've learned viewing footage online is that there are all sorts of styles and experience in taking pictures, be it motion or stills. I look at pictures the same as the old saying, "There is no such thing as a stupid question". Especially when it comes from someone trying to develop.

Ya see, I have no problem with the OP's grade, framing, focus or any decision he made. It's like telling Van Gogh he uses yellow too much. It was his vision of the moment and he posted a test. There are lots of skill levels here and even the best can learn from the inexperienced.

Simple things like member profiles are enough.

To the OP... Get out there tomorrow and shoot some stuff. If you are having issues with image, workflow, ask users like Kholi whats up? But do continue sharing your images.

I agree he was just trying to share, but I do not agree as to what you think I said,
This is actually getting fun while you all are guessing as to what it is said, Haha Go away and find something else to troll on,
Do you all really think you are able to belittle me? Not a chance, get a life.

Simple things like member profiles are enough for you to know who I am.

marshallbaker
01-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Dude, you're a douche. GTFO, you are what's wrong with what this forum has become.

marshallbaker
01-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Dustylense "Some people like wedding videos like that"

Yikes, that'd be an interesting wedding video

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Yeah you are my Hero, stop with your super powers:D

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Dude, you're a douche. GTFO, you are what's wrong with what this forum has become.
That's twice you called me a douche,
And this from one who speaks from his sphincter.

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 05:17 AM
@marshallbaker just the word "Dude" proved how lame you are hillbilly,
and that word Douche you spread so lovingly must come from a family member?

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 05:32 AM

And calling other members names makes you better than me?
Listen Marshall name calling is the only thing that brings these forums down, Grow up.

you are a multimedia company specializing in HS = Horse Shit! Not HD

marshallbaker
01-08-2013, 05:45 AM
You're making friends all over the place I see:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3903&start=40

Seriously, just leave or grow up.

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 05:49 AM
You're making friends all over the place I see:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3903&start=40

Seriously, just leave or grow up.

Oh and your dirty name calling makes you a better man?

I have no shame that I have idiots abound, whats your excuse?
Your name calling is out of control, you leave and be gone boy!

marshallbaker
01-08-2013, 05:55 AM
Sweet, finally found a use for the "ignore" feature.

To the OP - congrats on your camera! Looking forward to seeing what you come up when you have more time.

bowman
01-08-2013, 05:56 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Sweet, finally found a use for the "ignore" feature.

To the OP - congrats on your camera! Looking forward to seeing what you come up when you have more time.

The Ignore feature is for losers who are ashamed, you lose this round, come again when you can be honest and lose with dignity.

Craig
01-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the advice Bowman. I will take your comment about Magic Bullet on board and try and learn to use resolve...tbh I never liked how MB mushed up anything when you push it but started editing BMC footage and felt liberated by the tech in this cam, hence the strong look.

Frank Glencairn
01-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Please keep it civil gentlemen.

And MB is a mighty tool than can do many things that Resolve can't (and vice versa though).
But I agree, just slapping a pre-made look on a clip an call it a day, doesn't do the trick.
If you use the presets at all, use them as a starting point.
But when you work with it a while, you probably just use the tools and forget the presets completely.

From a quality standpoint, the basic tools (exposure, color wheels andwhatnot) work the same way as Resolve's tools.

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Please keep it civil gentlemen.

And MB is a mighty tool than can do many things that Resolve can't (and vice versa though).
But I agree, just slapping a pre-made look on a clip an call it a day, doesn't do the trick.
If you use the presets at all, use them as a starting point.
But when you work with it a while, you probably just use the tools and forget the presets completely.

From a quality standpoint, the basic tools (exposure, color wheels andwhatnot) work the same way as Resolve's tools.

I agree and use MB on many paid jobs,
not sure if you gentleman are just newbies at it,
or have insufficient computers to run it?

Many people have complained about MB, but many more have praised it, whats your excuse?

Darryl Gregory
01-08-2013, 07:12 AM
BTW thank you Frank, Admittedly you are a genius around here, but I notice, many are not giving you credit when it's due,
It's due now, and for all of us...Thank You!

bowman
01-08-2013, 07:17 AM
In all honesty that is my subjective point, that people can't do anything that great with it. this is not personal, their is absolutely no criticism in my comments about the OP's use of MB, its the software itself. Maybe all I ever saw over the years was pre baked in looks used, but honestly I never saw a MB clip that didn't look, well like a MB clip. I should make a parody montage of what I'm saying really with MB clips....

post your favorite bad MB clips thread anyone?

bowman
01-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Got to admit the pre set looks are pretty awful, like bad acid trip montage....

Why would anyone ever think a yellow gradient on the sky would look good. Hehe

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CLCLrbIGQUA

Frank Glencairn
01-08-2013, 07:44 AM
In all honesty that is my subjective point, that people can't do anything that great with it. this is not personal, their is absolutely no criticism in my comments about the OP's use of MB, its the software itself.

Remember CorelDraw and all the copy shop designers, using rainbowcolored-fake3D-pink-drop-shadow-yellow-outline typography?
Doesn't mean, that a good graphics artist was not able, to make something very tasteful with it.

If someone doesn't have much colorgrading experience, he probably also get bad results in Resolve or any other program.

The only difference is, MB gives you more tools to really screw things up :)

Frank

Macielle
01-08-2013, 07:57 AM

Craig

don't worry about mean-spirited comments. :) Takes courage to show our work... and if it's the case, roll with the punches, tomorrow it's another day. :)
I like the video. Good work, keep smiling and shooting with that fantastic camera.

bowman
01-08-2013, 08:04 AM
I do agree Frank, people often blame their tools but taste and creativity are rarely hindered by them. Sometimes people bellyache about certain editing software and honestly it would be better they just used windows movie maker and not have the ability to have stuff flying around the screen and weird filters etc.

the best art communicates with the tools it has, maybe not big budget blockbusters but 'Art' needs very little in the way of tools.

jambredz
01-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Personally everything about the grade is too much for me. too much blue...too saturated and too harsh a vignette. If everything was toned down it would be better FOR ME :). So there is no right or wrong...just preferences. Clearly thats what the OP likes and prefers...simple. Camera moves were nice and smooth. What did you use for those...a slider?

Oh and don't be afraid to post...it takes courage, and you will have to weed through some crappy comments sometimes...but there are usually some that really do help you get better. And be prepared for comments on" test" vids. The fact that you put it up leaves it open to be judged (positive or negative). Personally I don't think disabling comments is healthy because one will never know how people out there react to ones work (again either positive or negatively)...but that's just me.

Gabriele Turchi
01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Hello craig ,
it would be really great f you could upload a DNG sequence of the wide shot ..i am trying to chase some low light shots to judge the grain structure ...
is it possible ?

thanks
g

metaljesus
01-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks for sharing Craig. It's a shame that we live in a world where it takes courage to share your first clip! I certainly agree that criticism on a test shot is unnecessary. It's possible to share work just for the fun of it.

It would be interesting to see this with a gentler grade applied. Please share if you do.

Unfortunately this thread will probably be locked any minute now. :(