PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of Gregory Crewdson ?

Brad Ferrell
01-06-2013, 11:41 AM
https://vimeo.com/50504417

A short behind the scenes look at this photographer's vision. Talk about attention to detail...

Brad Ferrell
01-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Brad Ferrell
01-06-2013, 11:43 AM
http://nofilmschool.com/2012/12/gregory-crewdson-photography-brief-encounters/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nofilmschool+%28NoFilmSchool% 29 - more on the photographer and his work.

kevin baggott
01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
yeah - they just made a feature doc about the guy - was playing here in nyc recently - they had a show at moma.

Brad Ferrell
01-06-2013, 12:07 PM
The Art world has such a lack of visibility in the marketplace, it's gems like this that get lost to the noise of the other medias. It's almost gone underground at this point.

robmneilson
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
His photos look like screen caps from a Roy Andersson film!

Frank Glencairn
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
One of my favorite photographers, mostly because his work is so similar to one of my favorite painters, Edward Hopper.

CaptainHook
01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
As much as i like his work, since i first watched this a few years ago i've always considered him to be more of a 'director' than a photographer considering amongst the large crew he uses he has his own DOP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RywAfP4KFcY#t=84s

Jason M.
01-06-2013, 06:16 PM
I generally dislike Gregory Crewdson's work; everything is so planned out in minute detail that I feel he lights and art directs all the life out of his photographs. There doesn't seem to be much more to his work than the suburban eerie Twilight Zone/Close Encounters ambience, and there's only so far you can take that. Also, as CaptainHook noted, he's the only photographer I can think of that hires a director of photography for his work, which kind of made me lose some respect for him as well.

Technically, the work is good, but there doesn't seem to be much more than that. That said, he's made a few good photographs, the best one being Ophelia (the photograph of the woman floating in the living room). He's a pretty major name in the art world, though as Brad mentions, that might just be a sign of how disconnected the art world is from the popular marketplace.

nickjbedford
01-06-2013, 07:07 PM
He does appear to be more of a director. I like his work on the grounds of almost being a frame from a movie with great production etc, but as a photograph I don't feel like I connect as much. Would be killer to have that kind of production at your fingertips though.

Frank Glencairn
01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
I generally dislike Gregory Crewdson's work; everything is so planned out in minute detail that I feel he lights and art directs all the life out of his photographs. .

What's the difference to a painter who would paint the exactly same scene?

JoeyL
01-06-2013, 08:13 PM
What's the difference to a painter who would paint the exactly same scene?

Production value. On a side note its neat, but doesn't have any and all emotional connection between the subject, photographer, and viewer.

CaptainHook
01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
I think Crewdson tries to illicit a less obvious connection but that does walk the line of 'art wank' which generally turns me off. I do admire the production and lighting though. I guess in reality i am a fan of what Rick Sands does for those images, more than Crewdson himself.

http://www.ricksands.com/Richard_Sands/Art_Photography.html

jambredz
01-06-2013, 09:43 PM
A youtube commenter said this... I think I would agree

"Some people are harping on him because he said he doesn't hold the camera... Whoopty-doo. He's an artist that uses photography, not a photographer. That's the huge difference which most people miss. Don't get cemented into old ways of thinking."

CaptainHook
01-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Crewdson credits Ricks Sands as the photographer when it comes to this body of work, but the media etc continually reference Crewdson as the photographer. I think it's more appropriate if others (or Crewdson) refer to him as an 'artist' (or even a 'director') though, i agree with that.

robmneilson
01-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I think Crewdson tries to illicit a less obvious connection but that does walk the line of 'art wank' which generally turns me off. I do admire the production and lighting though. I guess in reality i am a fan of what Rick Sands does for those images, more than Crewdson himself.

http://www.ricksands.com/Richard_Sands/Art_Photography.html

I'm with you, the lighting is amazing. Many of the photographs seem to strike the same note, but who cares the lighting and framing are great.

Jason M.
01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
A youtube commenter said this... I think I would agree

"Some people are harping on him because he said he doesn't hold the camera... Whoopty-doo. He's an artist that uses photography, not a photographer. That's the huge difference which most people miss. Don't get cemented into old ways of thinking."

I actually agree with this guy, and I wouldn't pick on Crewdson for this at all if I liked his photographs more (probably hypocritical of me, sorry). The work just does very little for me, and I've even seen a good chunk of them in person. In retrospect, it's not just that they're lighted and art-directed to death; it's also that, because of how the production is carried out, you have the actors/models in the photos having to stand still and hold their poses, faces, etc. And it comes across in the work as if they're more mannequin than person. It's like the uncanny valley, and I get that for some people that's part of their appeal, but it just doesn't work for me, particularly if you see the work together as a set. One of his photos is intriguing by itself, but 20 of them one after the other are just kind of lifeless and boring, and in many ways diminish the work as as whole.

I'm actually most fond of Crewdson's work in Sanctuary, which is a group of photographs made on abandoned film sets in Cinecitta. There are several incredibly beautiful photos in there, and no lifeless-looking people inhabit them either.

sam tansey
01-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't say no if I were offered a print. The images are very striking. I'm drawn into them, I find myself trying to figure it out, find the story, work out why, whats going to happen next?

He is privileged to be able to pull such massive resources for still photography/art, but I don't think that makes the photos any more or less valid.

Jason M.
01-07-2013, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't say no if I were offered a print. The images are very striking. I'm drawn into them, I find myself trying to figure it out, find the story, work out why, whats going to happen next?

He is privileged to be able to pull such massive resources for still photography/art, but I don't think that makes the photos any more or less valid.

I wouldn't say no if I were offered a print, either. They're worth a huge amount of money, and will likely be worth far more still as time goes on.

cinebuddy
01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
He's incredible.