PDA

View Full Version : PL Adapter - This one looks promising???

Matthew Sonnenfeld
05-16-2012, 10:17 AM
I came across this PL to EF adapter on the interwebs and it looks interesting. Unfortunately the video on the page is not a video test of the adapter so don't pay attention to it. But does it look like this could work? It extends out to accomodate the width of the PL mount and then attaches to the EF. Says it is designed to accomodate deeper backed PL mount lenses.

http://kcwtechnica.com/shop/pl-mount-to-canon-eos-7d-5d-mark-ii-adapter-v2a/

Barry Green
05-16-2012, 11:10 AM
That will work for some zooms, but it won't work for primes. The EF mount is too narrow for the prime lens to fit into, and the adapter just sits out front. It can't do anything about making the actual EF mount wider.

Grug
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
That will work for some zooms, but it won't work for primes. The EF mount is too narrow for the prime lens to fit into, and the adapter just sits out front. It can't do anything about making the actual EF mount wider.

Is it? I seem to recall that the width of both EF and PL mounts is 54mm. I gather it's the lip of the EF mount itself (and the plastic or electronic internals that rest just inside it, that can physically get in the way.

Matthew Sonnenfeld
05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Is it? I seem to recall that the width of both EF and PL mounts is 54mm. I gather it's the lip of the EF mount itself (and the plastic or electronic internals that rest just inside it, that can physically get in the way.

That sounds like it would be the problem... definitely frustrating. But Barry, I'm curious, while the company does not claim to be able to mount all lenses, the V2a (their second version) claims to be designed for lenses with 14+mm of depth. Do you happen to know what would be the cut off point?

Matthew Sonnenfeld
05-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Also, is it possible that since the Blackmagic will already have no mirror box, and therefore less plastic to be dealt with, that PL mount lenses may be able to make it past the lip with the EF contact points? Or will this still be too narrow?

Kholi
05-16-2012, 01:31 PM
There's no need for it to have a mirror box, it's not an SLR.

If you're desperate for another mount, keep an eye out for Hot Rod Cameras developments. They'll be the ones to chop it up and offer a new mount, trust .

In fact, if I can get a camera early enough I'll probably put my camera up for test surgery and try to be the first PL mount option body on the block. >:]

Matthew Sonnenfeld
05-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Kholi, I know it won't have a mirror box, sorry if I wasn't clear but my point was that since there is no mirror box in the way, would that make enough room for a PL mount prime lens to fit with an adapter like the one linked to above? And also, I actually am not desperate for another mount. As I have and use a 7D regularly the only other lens that I am immediately after is the Tokina 11-16. Aside from that, I have some, and have access to more, great EF glass. The PL mount as an option with an adapter could be great in that opens up to more lenses via renting and even purchasing vintage glass, etc.

But you're right, I will of course be keeping a sharp eye at whatever Hot Rod Cameras will be up to. It will be very interesting to see what they are able to come up with. I'm already eagerly waiting to see what their lightweight battery option will be! I'd love to put one up for surgery as well, but for that, I'd want two, just incase...

John Brawley
05-16-2012, 03:50 PM

No.

It's not the width its the flange depth or distance. The distance from mount to sensor for PL mount is 52mm. For EF mount it's 54mm.

jb

Grug
05-16-2012, 08:54 PM
No.

It's not the width its the flange depth or distance. The distance from mount to sensor for PL mount is 52mm. For EF mount it's 54mm.

jb

Flange distance is 52mm for PL and 44mm for EF, but the width/diameter of the two appears to be the same at 54mm.

This page at least lists EF at 54mm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lens_mounts

thundercrease
08-06-2012, 07:13 PM
The width of the actual EF mount is roughly 54mm wide, but once you go into the camera more then 4-5mm it crops in significantly. You start to hit the body, the pins for the lenses, and the mirror. I've been testing out the KCWtechnica PL to EF mounts this week with Super Speeds. From what I've seen you need lenses with a flange focal distance of less that 16mm (approx) to even be able to mount the lens without harming the camera or rear element. I'm hoping our Cooke 20-100 comes in before I have to send the adapters back cause I know that lens has a shallow flange distance.

Our RED zoom was recently stolen, so I don't have that to test (real shame). If any buddy knows people in the Kansas City area with PL lenses (preferably zooms) who would like to test them out with these adapters let me know.