PDA

View Full Version : EF lenses smooth iris control?

RyGuy
05-13-2012, 05:28 AM
I'm wondering if EF lenses have the ability to smoothly transition iris, or if the change in f-stops will be clicky like on current Canon DSLRs. Anybody have any knowledge on whether EF lenses can do this?

It would be nice if one could change exposure mid-shot if needed without the stupid step that plagues current DSLRs.

laco
05-13-2012, 06:20 AM
I've read somewhere that it is a lens limitation.
So it's not up to BMD to include this feature, and I think Canon won't do it...
sadly.

John Brawley
05-13-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm wondering if EF lenses have the ability to smoothly transition iris, or if the change in f-stops will be clicky like on current Canon DSLRs. Anybody have any knowledge on whether EF lenses can do this?

It would be nice if one could change exposure mid-shot if needed without the stupid step that plagues current DSLRs.

Laco is correct.

It's an issue with the Canon lenses themselves.

jb

Barry Green
05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
I saw the Birger adapter using EF lenses, the focus was glorious but the iris was clicking along in (I think) 1/4-stop increments. As John said, I think that's a limitation of the Canon lenses.

RyGuy
05-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I remember that too, but I couldnt remember if it was the focus or iris that was butter smooth. Oh well.

RyGuy
09-01-2012, 01:44 AM
I was just checking out the c300 for a project that I am working on, and it looks like the c300 has a "fine" control of the EF lenses at 1/8th stops. So unless the c300 has some magic proprietary software, this in theory could by applied to the BMC...

This is obviously not something for cinema, but if anyone was trying to use the BMC for eng stuff with a LANC controller, might be of some use.

https://vimeo.com/36050094