PDA

View Full Version : Various Melbourne train shots

thegregferris
12-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Here's some test shots for a project called XV (http://www.notyet.com.au/project/xv) that I'm shooting next year. I left the camera sound on as I was surprised how well the in camera mic sounded.

XV project train tests shot with the BMC. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (Nikon mount with Novaflex adapter), no ND. ProRes 'Film', 24FPS. No ND.

https://vimeo.com/55521007

2.5K RAW, 24FPS.

https://vimeo.com/55522864

Here's a before and after graded (in AE) still of a dng.

Tom
12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Excellent! Thank you for sharing.

The close up shot towards the end felt so personal!

thegregferris
12-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks Tom,

It was the first time I've tried the Tamron on the BMC using the Novaflex and am really pleased how it looked - I think the 16-50/17-50/17-55 f/2.8 range is a great standard lens option on the BMC. I'm now chasing up a second hand Tokina in a Canon mount to make it my main glass.

wreck2
12-13-2012, 08:57 PM
I guess this is the appropriate place to ask, since this was shot at 24fps. What were the situations on when you want to shoot 24fps or 23.974? 23.974 is mostly if your main format is TV? But you can still show 24fps on TV broadcast, right?

thegregferris
12-13-2012, 09:07 PM
24FPS For theatrical release, Bluray, Installation (this project is to be displayed on the big screen at Federation square) and internet.

Australian TV (PAL) is 25FPS interlaced, US & Japan (NTSC) is 29.97FPS.

23.974FPS might be best answered by US forum-ites...

adam777
12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Very nice! How would this compare with the Canon 17-55?

thegregferris
12-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Very nice! How would this compare with the Canon 17-55?

Well it's less than half the price. This was the VC version but obviously with the Nikon mount I wasn't using that... It does have hard stop on infinity, but there isn't much rotation for focus pulls. The glass itself is great though.

Anyone using the Canon mount Tamron with VC? Also I seem to remember some discussion that said the Tamron glass was re-housed into the Red Cine lens, is this correct?

Liam
12-13-2012, 09:52 PM
23.976 is just the NTSC version of 24p.

I hope you come across the mythical beats that are melbourne train passengers greg, they're quite an eye opener.

thegregferris
12-13-2012, 09:57 PM
I've met them Liam. Also met a lovely couple of Meth heads on the tram last time I was down...

I'm back down for another shoot late March - if you're still sans BMC (I hope you have yours by then) you're welcome to tag along on the proper test shoot...

bowman
12-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Nice shots but I'm not completely sold on the Tamron. Not sure but why I don't like it but compared to your clips on the Tokina's it just dosent look as 'refined' to me. Maybe I'm imagining it. I felt the same when I have seen the lens used by others too. Maybe its because you didnt use ND's while you did with the Tokina's.

Would love to see a real shotout of the same scene with a bunch of different lenses at some point....hint..hint

thegregferris
12-13-2012, 10:10 PM
As you know I do love my Tokinas - I'm tossing up between the 16-50 second hand or a new 16-28 (which would make a nice kit with the 11-16 Nikon, 28-80 Canon, and 80-200 Nikon).

The 16-50 would also match the 77mm filter thread of the others, which is why I'm leaning to it over the 16-28, which can't take filters directly.

The Tamron is pretty plasticy and also has a lot of breathing compared to the tank like Tokinas.

Liam
12-13-2012, 10:43 PM
I've met them Liam. Also met a lovely couple of Meth heads on the tram last time I was down...

I'm back down for another shoot late March - if you're still sans BMC (I hope you have yours by then) you're welcome to tag along on the proper test shoot...

Don't forget the bus creatures that lurk around, those are fine specimens as well.

Sounds good, I'm hoping it will arrive sometime around March, that would be great.

John Brawley
12-14-2012, 02:49 AM
You're in Melbourne Greg ? You should say hi !

JB

nickjbedford
12-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Mmm, 13 stops, highlight priority, detailed shadows.

This. Is. Cinema.

Except perhaps the elastic train rolling past the camera :p

thegregferris
12-14-2012, 04:38 AM
You're in Melbourne Greg ? You should say hi !

JB

Just down for the day for meetings and a test shoot (this project's operating out of the Ghost Pictures offices). You Offspringing?

Also just remembered you've worked with Pledger on Mungo...

teh
12-14-2012, 12:04 PM
I was thinking about getting the Tokina 11-16 and a Tamron 17-50. I didn't know about the 16-50 Tokina... This could be an even nicer zoom kit. The 16-50 is usable right now? (controlling the aperture)

jambredz
12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Nice shots but I'm not completely sold on the Tamron. Not sure but why I don't like it but compared to your clips on the Tokina's it just dosent look as 'refined' to me. Maybe I'm imagining it. I felt the same when I have seen the lens used by others too. Maybe its because you didnt use ND's while you did with the Tokina's.

Would love to see a real shotout of the same scene with a bunch of different lenses at some point....hint..hint

Its important to note the VC version of this lens is much softer than the non VC version. The non VC version is really good in terms of sharpness. however the focus throw is hella short. I owned both and sold the VC version. I use the non vc version alot.

John Brawley
12-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Just down for the day for meetings and a test shoot (this project's operating out of the Ghost Pictures offices). You Offspringing?

Also just remembered you've worked with Pledger on Mungo...

Ahh yes of course ! I thought he looked familiar ! He was great. Such a great performence.

Yes I'm on Offspring now with a quick detour to shoot a "Turning" project in Freemantle.

JB.

Liam
12-14-2012, 06:05 PM
I was thinking about getting the Tokina 11-16 and a Tamron 17-50. I didn't know about the 16-50 Tokina... This could be an even nicer zoom kit. The 16-50 is usable right now? (controlling the aperture)

The 16-50 is a dis-continued lens, so you would have to pick it up second hand, also it doesn't have internal focus, meaning the lens pretrudes when focusing and makes it very difficult for a regular mattebox, I have seen matteboxes that are made to move when the lens zooms/focuses, but they are very scarce.

teh
12-14-2012, 06:17 PM
these are no real problems to me, I'm not owning an mattebox and probably wont any time soon. I was planning on picking up these lenses used anyway but there is actually an german online shop selling it quite cheap (new). thanks for the info though. still curious if you can control the aperture on the camera.

thegregferris
12-14-2012, 06:51 PM
The 16-50 is a dis-continued lens, so you would have to pick it up second hand, also it doesn't have internal focus, meaning the lens pretrudes when focusing and makes it very difficult for a regular mattebox, I have seen matteboxes that are made to move when the lens zooms/focuses, but they are very scarce.

I don't know of any lenses with that kind of range that are internal focus, unfortunately. Anyone else know of one?

The advantage of the Tokina is the solid build, the 77mm thread, the price they go for second hand (there's one on ebay for about $450 at the moment) and the glass itself.

thegregferris
12-14-2012, 06:53 PM
these are no real problems to me, I'm not owning an mattebox and probably wont any time soon. I was planning on picking up these lenses used anyway but there is actually an german online shop selling it quite cheap (new). thanks for the info though. still curious if you can control the aperture on the camera.

Aperture control shouldn't be an issue - the BMC works with my Tokina 28-80 (my only Canon mount lenses at the moment), a beast of a lens...

Andrew
12-16-2012, 03:26 AM
Looks great, I'm really liking the prores stuff I'm seeing. I need to do a prores shoot soon, so far I've shot 99% raw.

morgan_moore
12-16-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't know of any lenses with that kind of range that are internal focus, unfortunately. Anyone else know of one?

The advantage of the Tokina is the solid build, the 77mm thread, the price they go for second hand (there's one on ebay for about $450 at the moment) and the glass itself.

The Tok 16-50 - I had it to partner with my 7d, the focus throw is short, it flares like a badun until 4 or 5.6, I dont think it changes size when focussing, only zooming, so you can use it as a variable prime with a matte box, but not zoom unless you had a clipon or Lee

Im not picking it out as a bad lens, I think its comparable to the canon and tamron versions, the Tamron is from memory better than I was expecting

There are not any lenses of this nature that dont 'grow' when you zoom them.

If I remember the nikkor 14-24 grows the least, but does a bit

S

teh
12-16-2012, 05:47 AM
I'm trying to choose between The tokina and The tamron 17-50. i thought The tokina 16-50 might Match The 11-16 better

thegregferris
12-16-2012, 07:35 AM
The Tok 16-50 - I had it to partner with my 7d, the focus throw is short, it flares like a badun until 4 or 5.6, I dont think it changes size when focussing, only zooming, so you can use it as a variable prime with a matte box, but not zoom unless you had a clipon or Lee

Im not picking it out as a bad lens, I think its comparable to the canon and tamron versions, the Tamron is from memory better than I was expecting

There are not any lenses of this nature that dont 'grow' when you zoom them.

If I remember the nikkor 14-24 grows the least, but does a bit

S

It's funny with the Tokinas, almost all of them are IF and internal zoom, apart from the 16-50, which is a great range for the BMC.

Thanks for the feedback on the lens, I might end up going with the 16-28 after all, even if I can't put a screw in filter on it.

morgan_moore
12-16-2012, 10:33 AM
It's funny with the Tokinas, almost all of them are IF and internal zoom, apart from the 16-50, which is a great range for the BMC.

I believe its extremely complex (http://www.arricsc.com/pdf/masterzoom_onepage.pdf) to make that range internal zoom simply to not vingette I would probably need to be about 100mm OD or more.

S