PDA

View Full Version : 5DMkII HTP ON

Taikonaut
12-12-2012, 06:35 AM
I've often come across advice from people suggesting HTP should be turned OFF be it for stills or shooting video. It is claim that shadows noise is prevelent when HTP is ON and all it does is protect the highlight while shifting the exposure causing crushed black less detail in shadows.

However I return to experimenting with the 5DMkII shooting in Cinestyle I turned HTP ON. Not only did the highlights was protected more there is no incremental loss in shadow details or increase in shadow noise. The video looks more flatter and less contrasty than HTP OFF and in appearance looks closer to videos shot in pro res. I believe HTP actually increases the dynamic range and works a treat with Cinestyle without the side effect of noise and crushed shadows in other picturestyles.

John Brawley
12-12-2012, 07:06 AM
I've often come across advice from people suggesting HTP should be turned OFF be it for stills or shooting video. It is claim that shadows noise is prevelent when HTP is ON and all it does is protect the highlight while shifting the exposure causing crushed black less detail in shadows.

However I return to experimenting with the 5DMkII shooting in Cinestyle I turned HTP ON. Not only did the highlights was protected more there is no incremental loss in shadow details or increase in shadow noise. The video looks more flatter and less contrasty than HTP OFF and in appearance looks closer to videos shot in pro res. I believe HTP actually increases the dynamic range and works a treat with Cinestyle without the side effect of noise and crushed shadows in other picturestyles.

Although there's a slight advantage (I'm guessing a half stop) I found fixed pattern noise ( vertical noise stripes) became much more prevalent. I had to turn it off as my footage was bouncing on tech checks.

JB.

Taikonaut
12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Maybe because the hot weather in Australia?

Taikonaut
12-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Just tested again at low light and you are right there are vertical pattern noise when HTP is on.
I still won't rule out enabling HTP with Cinestyle in good lighting to protect highlight and were shadow is not so prevalent.

John Brawley
12-12-2012, 03:43 PM
You'll see it near clipping highlights as well.

JB.