PDA

View Full Version : Can you spot the BMC?

Frank Glencairn
12-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Just stumbled over this. It was shot with a C100 with Nanoflash, a FS700 and a BMC

Can you tell which is which?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8v7G3fyY8I

Fabián Matas
12-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Uhm the exterior is the c100, the interior general shots are fs700 and the interior close shots are BMCC?

morgan_moore
12-08-2012, 06:44 AM
The int wides on a slider she has better skin colour, but its a little wide

No reason with the right lenses and lighting they cant all match each other at h264/480p?

S

nickjbedford
12-08-2012, 07:10 AM
I had a hard time telling. YouTube compression is shocking and I found crushed dynamic range all throughout, though the interior scene was more forgiving.

Deggen
12-08-2012, 09:06 AM
The normal speed wides both INT and EXT are BMC. That's my guess.

Trevor Roach
12-08-2012, 09:36 AM
On the BlackMagic forum, the guy Fletcher, said this:

"BMCC and C100 were used in a two camera shoot, with the C100 as the wide/mid on a dolly, and the BMCC was used to pick off tights, side movements"

Sadly the compression hurts the chances of seeing any differences, but oh well. I think all three cameras are great for their target users. All can produce pretty pictures :)

mhood
12-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I cheated and read Fletcher's comments before I looked at them (the YT and the "less graded" Vimeo version). I was taken with how well everything matched in a Web based playback. H.264...the gr8 equalizer. ;)

Here's the Vimeo version:

http://vimeo.com/55159133

morgan_moore
12-08-2012, 10:43 AM
H.264...the gr8 equalizer.

But its not - lighting budget (control of DR) is the great equaliser, good monitoring, accurate exposure ect.

The thing about shooting a cooked camera is that if any of these are off then the difference show as you fail to get the file to where you want it in the grade before conversion to H264

The truth is that when im out with my FS100/DP6 or a DSLR and onboard screen, and the tiny histos on both, I really have not got a clue what I am shooting within probably a 20% margin - so If I have not got a 20% grade margin then im basically playing roulette - the final delivery does not count in that

In this case the shooters won thier roulette.. - although did they? basically the tungsten scene looks red and she looks to have a serious skin/blood condition because she is so red and outside the buildings often go uber horrid yellow etc - overall not one frame looks like a decent still or grab from a proper movie..

S

mhood
12-08-2012, 10:50 AM
That is why I included the Vimeo clip...Fletcher said that it was basically an ungraded comparison of the cameras. The FS700 was only the slomo. The C100 was everything interior that moved and the BMC was interior off tripod. Given that some of us split hairs much better than others but IQ is looking pretty good on lots of cameras these days.

morgan_moore
12-08-2012, 10:59 AM
but IQ is looking pretty good on lots of cameras these days.

That is true - but is it? My reality - maybe im just careless and clueless, is that most of my stuff is nothing as I intended, whereas shooting stills on my D3 it is always as I intend it and I can handle huge DR without a huge lighting budget

Maybe thats hair splitting, sheer incompetence, or maybe not?

Its not about if you can get away with it - it is can you really match the intent of yourself or your client?

The real Skyfall for example both looks good, but doubtless also looks as intended, I believe the BMC to be the only budget camera to be able to do this.

While the other cams may be able to create any of these looks only the BMC can create a choice between any of them

S

Nick Bibbo
12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Here's the Vimeo version:

http://vimeo.com/55159133

Who doesn't upload in HD now adays?