PDA

View Full Version : i-Pad as an External Monitor?

Sri
05-10-2012, 12:02 AM
I've heard about i-Pads being used as external monitors. Is it even possible with the BMC?

Steve4505
05-10-2012, 01:32 AM
I've heard about i-Pads being used as external monitors. Is it even possible with the BMC?

There is an Android app which will control and view a few of the Canon DSLR's, so I personally think its doable as a app with the right adapter. The concern I've heard is there could be a lag factor (which may not be acceptable). The mass market appeal of the BMC has me excited about the possibilities.

laco
05-10-2012, 01:45 AM
why not buying an external monitor, that has waveform, histogram, mounting holes, false colors, peaking, etc?

Tony Anastasi
05-10-2012, 02:07 AM
why not buying an external monitor, that has waveform, histogram, mounting holes, false colors, peaking, etc?

There's probably an app for that too...

but as far as I can tell, the hdmi adapter is output only?

laco
05-10-2012, 02:14 AM
There's probably an app for that too...

but as far as I can tell, the hdmi adapter is output only?

yes, the ipad doesn't have hdmi input.
And BTW, a dedicated monitor can save your work with all the features...So I think it definitely worths the money.

Even if there was an application for waveform monitoring for the iPad - afaik there is none - it won't be as fast, and precise as these.
The best way of monitoring a signal, if you monitor the HD-SDI output, and this is what good monitors - like the TvLogic VFM-056WP - do.

Zoomp
05-10-2012, 02:42 PM
That would be awesome, a cheap 2k monitor. Have you guys read the review on fxphd comparing it to a broadcast monitor? They used a $12k colorimeter to measure a 500 bucks tablet!

We are impressed by the color on our iPad, just looking at images tells us a lot and comparing them visually to a calibrated client monitor is what made us want to do these tests.
(http://www.fxphd.com/blog/just-how-good-is-the-ipads-color/)

Phil
05-10-2012, 03:36 PM
yes, the ipad doesn't have hdmi input.
And BTW, a dedicated monitor can save your work with all the features...So I think it definitely worths the money.

Even if there was an application for waveform monitoring for the iPad - afaik there is none - it won't be as fast, and precise as these.
The best way of monitoring a signal, if you monitor the HD-SDI output, and this is what good monitors - like the TvLogic VFM-056WP - do.

http://www.secondchairvideo.com/?p=2763

Brian@202020
05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I have a 24 inch Sony Google TV that I use mainly for a client monitor. The colors are decent so it could be used as a main monitor in a pinch. Maybe someone will come out with a Google TV Android app that add histogram and waveform capabilities.

Zoomp
05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Hmmm. I guess this Cube solution compress the video signal a lot, doesn't it?

thegregferris
05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
The article says latency is 10 seconds but Teradek mentions 7-8 frames. The former isn't that useful but the latter...

So how long before Blackmagic buys Teradek and drops the price/incorporates it into the next BMDC?

Bigmanshawn
05-12-2012, 06:45 AM
My testing with the Teradek has been less than exciting. The delay is so noticeable that it can not function very well for previews on location, quality is fine and I like that you can use an ipad or similar for it, but the desync between video and audio just leads to frustration. I have used the IDX CamWave extensively with extremely good results though. An occasional dropped frame but its so quick it is never an issue. The quality and range are hard to beat at that price point considering less than 1ms latency and full HD-SDI.

Philip Lipetz
05-12-2012, 12:05 PM
The CamWave is great but $5k.

John Brawley
05-13-2012, 07:34 AM
The CamWave is great but $5k.

I've found the CamWave to be borderline useless.

When it works, it works great...

But mostly it works intermittently...and that's worse. Being digital, when it drops out, it's about 15-20 seconds before it locks up again. Usually right in the middle of a take when you want to see the pictures most....

I've tried them and had them full time on three shows. I have them right now on a series I'm doing. We always end up cabling because it's more reliable.

They do seem to work better in studio and controlled environments.

And the terradek....

I've tried twice on two seperate shoots to use it and it's never even WORKED. But i do hear of shows getting it to run OK and working fine. There's obviously a knack to it.....The terradek gives you direct to iPad, but with a pretty significant delay.

jb

micklindquist
06-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Will a new retina MBP tethered up via TB work?

Paul Stephen Edwards
06-21-2012, 08:50 AM
@ Cinegear, a friend ran a quick test on the terradek & found that the framing displayed didn't quite match the camera. It clipped a bit of the edges, if I understood him correctly.