PDA

View Full Version : BMCC at The Dutch

jchriston
11-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Since everyone's asking for footage. As I say in the description, don't pixel peep too hard - I am well aware of the issues and I can assure you that they aren't BMCC's fault - this isn't how the final project is going to live (which without going further, is why it's shot 29.97, etc), I just wanted to throw up some footage.

https://vimeo.com/54616693

Link: https://vimeo.com/54616693

My description copy and pasted:

"Don't pixel peep too hard - this was shot in 29.97 at 2.5k RAW - then rendered out to 24p in Resolve using the Rec709 color space - not BMD Film (forgot to upgrade Resolve before doing it, and chose to get this out the door rather than wait). I feel as though I could have gotten more out of the video with BMD Film. Also I'm not a professional colorist by any means. Some highlights are tinted slightly off, etc. All could be fixed. And it would have looked nicer if I processed it to 29.97 (which will be it's final format, I just didn't do it for this). Also the tripod/dolly we were using were not really optimal (super light weight tripod with a crappy video head, and a motion control slider that's meant for time lapses), so there are wobbles and jitters present. A lot of the shots are sped up too, so that might accentuate any weirdness. Don't look too hard into it. Also on the full prores outputs there's no visible moire to me on the skyscrapers at the end, which were shot handheld from a car. Basically like I said - don't pixel peep too hard into this footage. Lastly - I don't know what's going on with the beginning of the clip - that's something vimeo added and I've tried re-uploading it a couple of times. I can assure you, before anyone asks, that these are NOT CAMERA faults.

Lenses used:
Leica R 19mm f/2.8
Zeiss ZF 28mm f/2
Leica R 60mm f/2.8

All wide open. All natural lighting.

The camera really is amazing

Shot with Adam Giese (https://vimeo.com/user1970459) at The Dutch in NYC (http://thedutchnyc.com)"

I'll answer whatever questions I can. And hopefully will post much more footage in the upcoming days.

upstartmike
11-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Was this shot with the Leica 19mm v1 or 2?

jchriston
11-30-2012, 02:29 PM
v1, which could explain some heavy fringing and hazing on some of the shots - i don't mind it though. i'd like to upgrade to a v2 at some point though for the built in ND

davidschmaus
11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I think this footage looks wonderful. Thank you!

jambredz
11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
its funny you have to put such a long disclaimer lol:D...but i totally understand with whats going on on the forums. Footage looks great to me :)

jchriston
11-30-2012, 02:39 PM
haha yeah - it's mainly because I KNOW that I didn't do the footage justice so I don't want people to start ripping it apart and blaming the camera and what not

jambredz
11-30-2012, 02:41 PM
i especially like the city shots. those look awesome to me. Wish there were more of them.

jchriston
11-30-2012, 02:44 PM
i'm hoping to shoot way more this weekend just for fun and to get used to the camera - I'll keep on posting and posting as much as I can. and yeah, I agree - the city looks awesome - i wish I shot more

Dontshoutfilms
11-30-2012, 02:50 PM
I thought it looked really great. Much better than a lot of ungraded stuff I've been seeing. Caveat unnecessary for me. Good work.

Andrew
11-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Yeah, the footage looks great! Not what I was expecting after reading the disclaimer. ;)

jambredz
11-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I guess since cameras are SO damn scarce everyone has to post with caution or get eaten alive lol

jchriston
11-30-2012, 03:21 PM
haha i don't mind ME being eaten alive for messing up - I mainly just wanted to be fair to blackmagic and not have people blaming the camera like I said.

yeahhhh maybe i was being a bit extreme. ah well.

strancali
11-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Nice one :)

Trevor Roach
11-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Nice job! Really like the footage too!

What are your thoughts on the camera?

jchriston
11-30-2012, 03:47 PM
After shooting with it on set for one day I can definitely see where I can improve. The camera can take a LOT of light before it clips, I wasn't anywhere near zebras on some of these shots where it doesn't the window in the frame. I could have added a lot of fill to the scenes and I think I would have gotten a lot more out of the raw files. This is a good thing, as it already looked fine without light, and any light is an improvement over that.

I don't mind the form factor. The battery is pretty ok, I wasn't using an exterior battery yesterday and we shot for 3 hours, and I'd just plug in when I wasn't rolling. It was fine. The 240gb ssd's I have held way more than I thought, I kept on getting worried about them filling in a middle of a take, but they were plenty - I swapped when i got to just over 200gb full.
The crop is intense, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I don't know, numbers can be picked apart, but it didn't feel much more cropped than shooting on a scarlet to me. I know technically it is, but practically, you'd just frame your shot slightly different. I didn't notice it that much. That being said, I used the 19 and the 28 A LOT. Most of the shots are on those two. Hmm what else. The camera is built like a tank, which I like. Oh yeah, I also never had any problems with seeing the screen on the back or what not. I had an external monitor attached at first, but ditched it in preference to a smaller form factor. I can definitely see situations where you'd want an eternal monitor though. We didn't mess with sound so I can't speak to that, but it recorded reference audio fine. The prores looks fantastic - though no clips in this are prores. I'm going to shoot a bunch of prores for a longer form project next week though, so I can put up some of that probably. Processing the raw was a bit slow on the computer I was doing it on, but thats because it doesn't have any CUDA i'm guessing. I got like 4-9 fps on the render I think. And yeah, BMD film looks great - rec 709 was a bit squashed for a starting point in resolve.

All in all - I love it so far. The quirks are pretty easy to work around. Eager to push it in different directions - such as shooting at night, shooting tabletop stuff in a studio, more run and gun style things.

Trevor Roach
11-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the reply! Very straight forward, which I like. :)

I already knew I'd have to pick up some wider lens when my camera arrives, but I appreciate your input on using the 19 and 28. I'm looking at getting a 24 to start. Would that be good? or would you suggest picking up a 19/20mm first?

Thanks again for the video and your feedback!

Joe Giambrone
11-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Keep it coming.

jchriston
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
the 28 seemed like a great normal lens - i'm definitely of the type of person that prefers longer lenses to wider ones though - i'm trying to get the leica 35 and I imagine that would be the lens I leave on it most of the time. A little bit longer, more like a portrait lens. I'd stick with getting a 24 if you're going to get one lens to start, it's a good "normal" on this camera.

Dale
11-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Absolutely gorgeous footage, John.

Lovely natural grade. I notice a lot of bmcc videos explaining that they've added sharpening, which kinda makes the image lose it's essence (for me anyways, if that makes sense).

Just to be clear you didn't add any on this did you? To me it has that charming soft edge film quality.

I'm thinking the lenses add to that quirk.

Either way you've done the forum a solid :)

Lorenzo Straight
12-01-2012, 01:19 AM
The footage looks great, regardless of the explained faults.

Danny1280
12-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Just spent time looking at your other work on Vimeo. Very impressive on many levels.

Brad Ferrell
12-01-2012, 09:25 AM
After seeing your footage, I'm again getting excited about shooting with this camera. The DR makes using natural light possible as inside the cafe shows. Nice camera movement. Overall, an excellent example for us to view. Thanks.