PDA

View Full Version : Covered Wagon & the China Ball

Sage
11-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Looking into practical kino & halogen globes..
Does anyone have experiences they can share shooting with omnidirectional soft lighting?

I was reading an old cinematography mailing list and was surprised to see John Brawley of this forum discussing wagons!

Deggen
11-30-2012, 11:38 AM
You may be talking about far higher level than I can help you with. But here's a blog post I made on my experience with a chinaball for the first time. By far the best thing I've ever used for quick lighting or to boost practicals. Love the look it gives people.

http://www.productionattic.com/blog/25/build-your-own-chinaball-for-cinematic-lighting

razz16mm
11-30-2012, 02:15 PM
You may be talking about far higher level than I can help you with. But here's a blog post I made on my experience with a chinaball for the first time. By far the best thing I've ever used for quick lighting or to boost practicals. Love the look it gives people.

http://www.productionattic.com/blog/25/build-your-own-chinaball-for-cinematic-lighting

+1

I am a big fan of China Balls. Use the cheap paper versions you can get at most import stores with high CRI CFL's

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/50w_umbrella_688_prd1.htm

http://www.alzodigital.com/full_spectrum_lighting.htm

Deggen
11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Nice.

Have you ever made a mobile version? Can't think off the top of my head how I'd power a standard bulb from a DC source.

robmneilson
12-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I've made a mobile version which was very simple. Had a china ball, on a boom pole with a bescor battery belt, and car cig lighter power inverter plugged into it. Simple and worked great.

Deggen
12-01-2012, 12:42 PM
@robmnellson
Awesome, thanks I'm going to try that.

robmneilson
12-01-2012, 12:49 PM
We had the cheap $99 bescor battery belts that were quite old, so they didn't last too long (if I recall about 20 minutes of lighting on a 250 watt bulb). Also our inverter had a fan in it that was a little loud so I had to keep the boom pretty long to keep the fan noise away from the mics. Still though it worked very well for what we needed.

Matthew Bennett
12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Whenever I get the chance I use tungsten Chinas (JemBalls). Love that soft single source look.

robmneilson
12-04-2012, 08:31 AM
I'd love to order a Jem Ball! Their website was not very helpful with ordering info. I recently was going to buy a Chimera birdcage, but on second thought just dropped some cash on a lantern lock china ball. I think my chimera money is best served buying a Chimera Pancake in the near future instead.

Offhand what's the Jem Ball pricing for the small/medium models?

Frank Glencairn
12-04-2012, 09:43 AM
The one with one bulb is about $600 - a bit steep for was it is IMHO.

I use those cheap pop-up photo cubes, works fine.

markmwilliams
12-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Not a China Ball but Hurlbut's blog on making a DIY Book Light is worth a read and the result looks fantastic

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/11/creating-a-beauty-light-with-a-book-light/

robmneilson
12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Hmm yeah $600 is a bit steep for me for a china ball.

Sage
12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I won't be focusing on mobile use, but that is a very interesting way to put it into action.

My goal: having the light play naturally in a small space in ways that are more difficult/space consuming with directional sources. The actors can move with more freedom, and separation from the background will mainly be achieved with proximity to the light.
I want to make use of real world lighting in all locations, turning off/on fixtures, changing bulbs as it suits the feel. I'm aiming for a good exposure with iso 400, around f2.8 - 4.

My thinking is the new kino flo 26w cfls seem to have fantastic color reproduction matching tungsten, so I'll be able to mix those with halogen globes and incandescents in place, without a fire hazard. Maybe I can use some dirty fluorescents in the back for some of that monocolor separation. This was tungsten limited to table, dirty flos bounced to the back:

Has anyone given the kino cfls a shot? What do you think?

MarkF
12-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi there, looking at building a china ball for an upcoming no-budget music video shot in a flat.

Checked out Deggen's instructions (on the first page), but a bit put off by the unsafe bulb.

Anyone in the UK successfully put a china ball together with good results?
If yes, care to share the parts you used? Thanks!

razz16mm
12-23-2013, 03:57 PM
I use Alzo Digital high CRI CFL lamps in paper china balls. Unlike tungsten lamps they don't get hot enough to be a fire hazard. Their large 85w CFL's throw a lot of light this way.

darty
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM
61386139hi mark,

i put 6 together with some 1/4 inch threaded bar, flat aluminium strip and 1/4 inch lock and wing nuts (the wing nuts make it easily adjustable
to the paper lantern.
the lamp housings i scavenged out of some cheap security lights from the hardware store.

i threaded a piece of 15m aluminium bar so that i could use a cstand knuckle to hold it

cheers

MarkF
12-23-2013, 05:07 PM
I use Alzo Digital high CRI CFL lamps in paper china balls. Unlike tungsten lamps they don't get hot enough to be a fire hazard. Their large 85w CFL's throw a lot of light this way.

Are you based in the UK? If yes, where are you getting them from?

razz16mm
12-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Are you based in the UK? If yes, where are you getting them from?

No, USA. Seems like there should be European sources for something similar though if you do a search for High CRI photo CFL.

Tim Hole
12-23-2013, 07:52 PM
This is always been my problem and I'm looking into getting some made. Lanternlock in the US make a great mounting solution but you can't get them to the UK http://www.lanternlock.com/

I've look everywhere and can't find a UK solution, or even a European one. There should be something slightly inexpensive around. At the moment I use power jaws that have a shaft for mounting so c-stands.

vicharris
12-23-2013, 09:17 PM
There's a guy in Craigslist here in LA that makes ones like the lanternock ones. I wonder if he would make some to Euro specs and ship em over there for you guys? Ya'll want me to ask him?

Tim Hole
12-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Yeah man, that would be awesome. Maybe the UK based peeps could do a group buy. I'm getting some flags made, and was going to get some done at the same time.