PDA

View Full Version : Change in shipping dates

Thekreative
05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
I just got an email from one of the biggest Blackmagic dealers in Canada, of which I'm first one their list, saying that the shipping date has now been pushed to August or September

Has anyone else heard the same?

Paul Stephen Edwards
05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Haven't heard anything one way or the other... As cool as it'd be to get it earlier, I really want the product to be rock-solid. If that means an extra couple of months, I'm okay with that.

As long as it doesn't turn into Red Scarlet redux.

Andrew
05-09-2012, 09:10 PM

uh-oh, the curse of the high rez, small sensor, affordable, raw format camera!

James Martin
05-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Haven't heard anything one way or the other... As cool as it'd be to get it earlier, I really want the product to be rock-solid. If that means an extra couple of months, I'm okay with that.

Not to worry. They'd have to delay the camera by another three years or so to even get near that mark.

And I'm with you. If it means a more solid model on release a small delay is just fine.

vealti
05-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Means more time to save money and get the rest of the pieces needed inline. Of course, I said that before too...

Harry Lime
05-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Maybe they need some extra time for that M43 mount...

Kholi
05-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Didn't get an email like that, anyone else get it?

Note Suwanchote
05-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Didn't get an email like that, anyone else get it?

nope
ordered from texas
ill email them

laco
05-10-2012, 01:26 AM
uh-oh, the curse of the high rez, small sensor, affordable, raw format camera!
so the BMC isn't affordable, and isn't RAW?:)
Actually - just to be...the bad guy here - BMC ha uncompressed raw recording. Scarlet has compressed raw.

Cornelius
05-10-2012, 03:44 AM
If I get an email today I'll post. It's surprisingly refreshing to see people so patient!

To add, I did get an email from CVP not long back about it being pushed to the end of July. but that's all.

laco
05-10-2012, 03:53 AM
If I get an email today I'll post. It's surprisingly refreshing to see people so patient!

To add, I did get an email from CVP not long back about it being pushed to the end of July. but that's all.

But is it a global change (BMD is changing the date of release)
or a change at specific dealers (someone get the cam later)
or a change in specific users? (later pre-orders get the cam later)

Cornelius
05-10-2012, 04:11 AM
But is it a global change (BMD is changing the date of release)
or a change at specific dealers (someone get the cam later)
or a change in specific users? (later pre-orders get the cam later)

If you're talking about CVPs push back, I'm not sure if it's Global, Here's the email.

"After speaking with our supplier, they have informed us that the lead time on this order is late July. I will be in touch to take the final payment nearer to the dispatch date."

laco
05-10-2012, 04:15 AM
If you're talking about CVPs push back, I'm not sure if it's Global, Here's the email.

"After speaking with our supplier, they have informed us that the lead time on this order is late July. I will be in touch to take the final payment nearer to the dispatch date."

yes, about the CVP push back.
Thanks for the email...
as much as I will patiently wait - what else could we do?:) -, I'd be really happy if it would be released in July.

mhood
05-10-2012, 08:15 AM
I would have guessed with only 2 months to go until release, that there would be several prototypes out there making demo footage like mad. So no, I wouldn't be surprised to see the release date pushed back...disappointed, yes but not surprised.

fahnon
05-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Seeing as I'm selling my A cam to buy the BMC I hope they ship on time. Sucks to only have one camera after being used to two. Having said that I really want it as bug free as possible and if I must wait for that so be it. Of course only a small delay is cool if we get into the winter months that will start to frustrate...

dunphy
05-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I haven't recieved anything either. I don't mind waiting, especially if it means adding a few moew things and making sure this camera is ready out of box. And I'm poor, so I could save up more.

Note Suwanchote
05-10-2012, 10:23 AM
TMS emailed me back and said they haven't heard of news on a regards to delays

Chase Gardiner
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I just got an email from one of the biggest Blackmagic dealers in Canada, of which I'm first one their list, saying that the shipping date has now been pushed to August or September

Has anyone else heard the same?

Who did you order from? I also placed an order here in Canada, from Matrix, and haven't heard anything.

mbeck
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Seeing as I'm selling my A cam to buy the BMC I hope they ship on time. Sucks to only have one camera after being used to two. Having said that I really want it as bug free as possible and if I must wait for that so be it. Of course only a small delay is cool if we get into the winter months that will start to frustrate...
I'm in the same boat... I just hope that this does not turn into what happened with te BM ATEM switcher. We waited 8 months on it!

Brian@202020
05-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I just called Markertek, where I placed my order, and they confirmed I am still first in line, and they say it's still scheduled to arrive in early July. Maybe it's just non USA dealers delayed, or companies that ordered from BMD late.

mbeck
05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I just called Markertek, where I placed my order, and they confirmed I am still first in line, and they say it's still scheduled to arrive in early July. Maybe it's just non USA dealers delayed, or companies that ordered from BMD late.
When did you order? I also ordered from markertek, and I am interested to see how far back in line I am.

pcenginefx
05-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I absolutely HATE waiting for stuff (that’s why my cam will be delivered w/overnight shipping) so I really hope the delay isn’t widespread….but if that means that I’m getting a better camera in the end I suppose I can wait….

<grumble>

Kholi
05-10-2012, 12:47 PM
When did you order? I also ordered from markertek, and I am interested to see how far back in line I am.

I'm right behind BRian in line, he called an hour before I did the morning after announcement.

Brian@202020
05-10-2012, 12:51 PM

I called around all day the day of the announcement and no one had the SKU number yet. I tried the next morning again. I started with Adorama then B&H. Neither had the SKU yet. I then called Markertek, and they said they were just entering the SKU as we speak. I sat on hold for a short time and then I was in. He said there was a few emails regarding the camera, but since I was the first one with the credit card info, I became first in line. So long story short, I placed the order the day after the announcement at 9:30 central time.

Frank Glencairn
05-10-2012, 12:51 PM

LOL - I told you so, a few weeks ago:

Errr.. this was a NAB-July(TM) - so expect it to hit the shelves rather in September or even later.

...just saying

....and got some severe Flak for speaking it out.

FilmMan
05-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Frank,
I remember the love that was shown to you for your comments. You were only trying to be realistic.

Philip Lipetz
05-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Frank,
I remember the love that was shown to you for your comments. You were only trying to be realistic.

I hope that we do not become a community of fanboys that shout down pros like frank. Frank, thanks for your work here and on DVXuser.

Kingswell
05-10-2012, 02:38 PM
According to another post by 'Thekreative' (O.P) he ordered with Annex Pro in Vancouver. Anyone in Canada free to give them a call so we can get a proper answer on this? Here's their contact page: http://www.annexpro.com/contact/

Frank Glencairn
05-10-2012, 03:29 PM
I hope that we do not become a community of fanboys that shout down pros like frank. Frank, thanks for your work here and on DVXuser.

No problem, I can take some beating :)

Kholi
05-10-2012, 03:43 PM
The statement that was made confused posters, since BMD said July, then Frank said September.

A few posts after, Frank clarified what he meant, we understood then.

Nobody was "shut down", but I guess that's the feeling that you got, Frank. Quite simply, I don't think anyone would've responded at all if the comment read more like:

They say July, but I am expecting September with delays or similar.

Instead, it read like:

It's coming out in September.

That was contrary to what BMD announced, so of course it sounded wrong.

A little context goes a long way in preventing over-exaggeration of events.

Barry Green
05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
For the record, there has been no delay announced by the manufacturer, correct? This whole thread is speculation, correct? We should wait for confirmation before people start taking these types of things as official.

Frank Glencairn
05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
No bad feelings Kohli, it takes a lot more to shut me down. :)
And actually I would prefer to be wrong, instead of "I told you so" in September.

Frank

Philip Lipetz
05-10-2012, 04:48 PM
For the record, there has been no delay announced by the manufacturer, correct? This whole thread is speculation, correct? We should wait for confirmation before people start taking these types of things as official.

I will be at the BM conference in Burbank this next Wed. I expect to hear some clarification then and will post it ASAP if many other people do not do it first. Say hello to me guys, look for the grey haired guy with different glasses.

Perhaps we should start a thread to encourage meet ups at the BM conferences in Burbank and NYC.

Kholi
05-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Same thing I was thinking... until BMD says something, everything is speculation.

I'll be in Burbank next week as well, hoping to get more info.

Note Suwanchote
05-10-2012, 11:20 PM
definitely can't wait until next week

Brian@202020
05-11-2012, 06:44 AM
I wished I lived on either coast so I could check it out. Can't wait for you guys to post the latest info as well as more pictures.

mhood
05-11-2012, 06:53 AM
I hope somebody takes an SSD to the briefing...

John Brawley
05-13-2012, 07:26 AM
I hope somebody takes an SSD to the briefing...

They could. But the camera won't record anything.

jb

mhood
05-13-2012, 08:49 AM
I thought the Shuttle 2 part of the BMCC was pretty much a given. :-)

Kingswell
05-13-2012, 11:29 AM
John could you please elaborate further? Won't because BMC won't allow people to record footage at the event and have disabled recording just to be safe, or the camera can't record just yet because the implementation isn't ready yet. I'm starting to worry there is some truth to a delay.

laco
05-13-2012, 11:57 AM
John could you please elaborate further? Won't because BMC won't allow people to record footage at the event and have disabled recording just to be safe, or the camera can't record just yet because the implementation isn't ready yet. I'm starting to worry there is some truth to a delay.
If SSD recording hasn't implemented yet, how could John record the test footage?:)
I think it's disabled for events only.

Kingswell
05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree it's probably former of what i said, but between what John has said, and the comments in the 'permitted to see samples' thread concerning Apple certification and the 6-7 weeks 'testing' my level of confidence is not high as it once was.

nickjbedford
05-13-2012, 03:44 PM
I agree it's probably former of what i said, but between what John has said, and the comments in the 'permitted to see samples' thread concerning Apple certification and the 6-7 weeks 'testing' my level of confidence is not high as it once was.

SSD writing implementation is something they already actually have in their other products.

John Brawley
05-13-2012, 05:47 PM

The camera certainly records to SSD's. That part works very well.

They disable recording though on *demo* cameras. (like at NAB)

Apple have a *very* strict certification process for ProRes. Just because that hasn't been approved yet, doesn't mean that it isn't implemented and / or working. The *testing* is on the Apple side perhaps ?

jb

Kingswell
05-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Cheers John. Very much reassured!

popcornflix
05-16-2012, 08:23 PM
At the BMD event today, the rep said they were shipping in the last week of July. He said BMD is very dedicated to making their shipping dates "unlike some other camera companies." He also joked that BMD makes its deadlines, even if it's down to the last minute, so they will be shipping on "the 35th of July."

He also said that it's possible that the July shipment will be small, followed by massive quantities a couple/few weeks later.

That may be the root of the delay email. Maybe those suppliers were late to the trough.