PDA

View Full Version : Children of Men & long takes

refocusedmedia
11-27-2012, 08:52 AM
One of my all-time favorites in regards to cinematography. The long takes, in particular, are so incredibly well-done (even the ones that make use of digital stitching). One thing I love about them is they aren't really self-serving, each one serves the narrative imo.

Anyway, awhile back (before this site existed), I made this video and I figured I'd share it here as well. Hope you enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/41218073

robmneilson
11-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Definitely in my top ten of the decade. It's so well shot, organic, and flowing that I bet the average viewer won't even notice that there aren't that many cuts.

Jglucks
11-28-2012, 11:26 AM
If his next film Gravity ever opens and doesn't get pushed back again, it supposedly starts with a 17 minute shot with no edits. EDIT - didn't read your vimeo description where you mention Gravity's long shot -- oops.

Lorenzo Straight
11-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I remember this movie and how much I loved it. One of the most beautifully shot movies ever. The handheld movement, in and of itself, tells a story.

Andrew
11-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for posting this. It's been awhile since I watched this film. It's nice to see action that doesn't have to cut every couple seconds.

Grug
11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
One of my top ten movies of all time. It's just note perfect.

umuima
11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
I am shooting a film (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/menthol/menthol) in January, going to be doing a lot of long takes -- and honestly I'm very concerned hearing about these dropped frames with certain SSDs.

I currently have OCZ & Crucial SSDs, and dropped frames is the worst thing I could imagine for long-take cinematography. Stressful.

robmneilson
11-30-2012, 09:40 AM
God that Luzbecki is so LAZY just having ONE long take! What about COVERAGE?

unidob
12-03-2012, 11:23 PM
It really is a brilliant film. As far as I recall, the main character never picks up a gun. He has many opportunities, but never does. Certainly he defends himself a couple of times, when given no choice. I think this acts on the subconscious mind while watching it -- the reality is it's a very pacifist film.

Long shots are becoming almost over-used, but the long shot in this film that most people admire adds to the tension and is pitch perfect.

cschmeer
12-09-2012, 01:10 PM
The motorbike scene is just mind-blowing.

Nick Bibbo
12-09-2012, 05:06 PM
The motorbike scene is just mind-blowing.

Agreed! I have to rent the whole film!

stip
12-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Great idea to put them all into one video! These are fantastic references to look into.

I remember not noticing those long onetakers back when I watched the movie the first time, only until a fellow student told me - that's how it's supposed to be done!

Just look at the chicken on he stairs - timing, staging, planning, organising, execution, all exceptional.

kriscolavecchio
12-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Did you guys ever see the behind the scenes video of the Camera car they built, where the seats all shift around so that camera could move into different positions. Pretty sure it won a technical achievement award.

Sage
12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
It really is a brilliant film. As far as I recall, the main character never picks up a gun. He has many opportunities, but never does. Certainly he defends himself a couple of times, when given no choice. I think this acts on the subconscious mind while watching it -- the reality is it's a very pacifist film.

+

Brad Ferrell
12-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Another film with extremely long takes is Irreversible. I believe it came out first. Excellent narrative storytelling.