PDA

View Full Version : Excellent use of BMCC with HDLinkPro for live color correction

DanKanes
05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi Guys, Thought I might share with you my recipe for an efficient live color correction scheme using the BMCC, HDLink PRO, Pomfort LiveGrade, and Davinci Resolve.

Signal Chain:

BMCC SDI->HDLINK Pro+computer Running Pomfort LiveGrade->Grading Monitor

BMCC should be set to "film" log mode.

Create Luts Using Pomfort LiveGrade.
Save Luts
Load Luts into Resolve
Apply to Clips.
Export.
Done.

This will give you the ability to do Live Color correction that is non-destructive to your image. Works great with Other Cameras like the Alexa as well.

bueller
05-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Nice I like this. Now if we can figure out how to do it with an ipad3. Any ideas.

DanKanes
05-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Nice I like this. Now if we can figure out how to do it with an ipad3. Any ideas.

You could use the Air Display APP to use the ipad as a monitor...

Martin
09-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Could we swap the HDLink pro with the new BMD thunderbolt-SDI mini-recorder? From the camera's HD-SDI to thunderbolt MBP...to ipad with airdisplay :)

DanKanes
09-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Could we swap the HDLink pro with the new BMD thunderbolt-SDI mini-recorder? From the camera's HD-SDI to thunderbolt MBP...to ipad with airdisplay :)

Hmmm... This sounds really confusing...

Based on what I _think_ you guys are asking for....no this is not possible at this time.

The whole point of HDLink Pro in this situation is to offer an HD-SDI input and output interface that is essentially a programmable LUT box.

There are other LUT boxes that are out there.

The idea of using Air Display with the Ipad is to allow the ipad to be a control surface for the LiveGrade interface (if you were to use it that way)

The concept here is to replace expensive solutions like:

Technicolor DP Lights
or
TrueLight On-set

Try looking up the price of a setup like that and then compare it to something you can get for less than $1000 (minus the computer of course)

Martin
09-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Ah ok my apologies for confusing you. I guess my main question is, can the new $145 ultrastudio
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio

replace the HDLink Pro?

Just as you said, the point is to get an HD-SDI input. From the diagram on the BMD site, it looks like the ultrastudio mini-recorder does just that. Although I understand that perhaps the key element to the HD Link Pro is the programmable LUT functionality?

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of the new ultrastudio mini