PDA

View Full Version : Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter

StephenM
05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
FWIW, the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter, laptop version is great for offloading SSD's on a thunderbolt equipped computer.

In Seagate's literature, it appears to work only with their GoFlex external drives, but it does connect just fine to raw SSD's. Using Black Magic's Speed Test app, I'm seeing read speeds of 380 MBytes / second using the Crucial M4's I use with my Hyperdeck Shuttle. Amazing. It is also powered from the Thunderbolt cable so you can transfer to a MacBook Pro without AC power.

The only drawback is that it only has one thunderbolt connector so it has to be the last in the chain. $99 at BH and Amazon.

StephenH
05-11-2012, 05:05 AM
StephenM, Can I just confirm that this adapter will allow a standard SATA 3 SSD HDD to connect to the GoFlex connector on the sled. It doesn't look like a SATA interface, or am I missunderstanding what you are saying.

StephenH
05-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Ok! Finally found the answer to the above question. Yes, you can connect a standard SATA interface HDD to the above adapter. Thanks for the info StephenM. I have been looking for an SSD interface to my MacBook Pro and BlackMagic Shuttle 2.

StephenM
05-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Yes, it's a standard connector, although a little longer than necessary to accommodate the case Seagate puts around their GoFlex drives. This allowance also means that a bare SSD 'hangs' above the base plate by about an 1/8th of an inch. I put a piece of foam rubber on mine to cushion the SSD and minimize any stress on the connector.

StephenH
05-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Hi, I just ordered it from Amazon delivered to my door in Aussie for just under $110AUS. I picked up on the slight height issue to and will either use foam rubber or double sided tape to put the SSD drive on a horizontal playing field. I appreciate the info though. Thanks.

dcloud
05-12-2012, 03:11 AM
They also have a usb3.0 version which i have. Works with any sata interface.

StephenH
05-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi StephenM, Can I just ask a question regarding the BlackMagic Shuttle. Does it capture true progressive or does it wrap the progressive 24p/25p/ in a Psf interlaced stream.

StephenM
05-13-2012, 03:19 AM
The shuttle's recordings are progressive. It can handle PsF inputs as well.

StephenH
05-13-2012, 04:48 AM
Thanks StephenM. Just as I was hoping. Appreciate your info and link to the Thunderbolt SSD off load adapter.

Steve4505
05-13-2012, 07:01 PM
FWIW, the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter, laptop version is great for offloading SSD's on a thunderbolt equipped computer.

In Seagate's literature, it appears to work only with their GoFlex external drives, but it does connect just fine to raw SSD's. Using Black Magic's Speed Test app, I'm seeing read speeds of 380 MBytes / second using the Crucial M4's I use with my Hyperdeck Shuttle. Amazing. It is also powered from the Thunderbolt cable so you can transfer to a MacBook Pro without AC power.

The only drawback is that it only has one thunderbolt connector so it has to be the last in the chain. $99 at BH and Amazon.

There is a new one Seagate GoFlex Desk Thunderbolt Adapter (STAE122) (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-GoFlex-Thunderbolt-Adapter-STAE122/dp/B007IJ7UKE) which if they get in stock anywhere will have the 2nd port of daisy chaining more Thunderbolt devices in series with. Even Seagate's website is goofy when you look it up.

StephenM
05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
I've ordered one of the Desk models to try out for 'destination' disk with the SSD in the little one chained to it. It looks like it will handle 3.5 drives just fine. I'll report back after it arrives.

The only drawback is it requires AC power. The little one is handy for offloading SSDs to a laptop/graid mini devices on remote shoots away from power.

Kavadni
05-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I use an esata dock for getting footage off SSDs to my notebook.
I could well be incorrect, but I have read that esata is faster than thunderbolt/usb3 as it has a lower protocol overhead .. others may know specifics.
I know that emphatically my esata is faster than my USB3 connection

StephenH
05-14-2012, 12:48 AM
"There is a new one Seagate GoFlex Desk Thunderbolt Adapter (STAE122) which if they get in stock anywhere will have the 2nd port of daisy chaining more Thunderbolt devices in series with. Even Seagate's website is goofy when you look it up."

Yes! Found that one also. Would be good desktop unit. Only problem from my perspective is it needs external power where the one StephenM suggests uses bus power.

StephenH
05-14-2012, 12:53 AM
"I use an esata dock for getting footage off SSDs to my notebook."

Good choice. The reason I went STAE121 is my MacBook Pro only has FW800/Thunderbolt and I was looking for a way of off loading to this.