PDA

View Full Version : iPad as a controller surface for Resolve

marshallbaker
11-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Thought this was worth sharing. It's primarily going to be for editing in FCPX or Premiere, but if you watch the second video on the page, he also is toying around with it as a controller for Resolve.

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/11/ctrl-console-app-ipad-editing-console/

Brian@202020
11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Pretty cool, I have an Android tablet tho. iPads are over priced, and next year I'll probably replace my iPhone as well.

mhood
11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I just got a Note 2...oh well.

Frank Glencairn
11-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Cute idea, but I don't think it is useful.

A grading surface should give you a haptic and tactile feedback, so you can work "blind" with your eyes on the picture and scopes.
Sweeping your fingers over a tablet, doesn't do the trick IMHO.

Steve Kahn
11-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Cute idea, but I don't think it is useful.

A grading surface should give you a haptic and tactile feedback, so you can work "blind" with your eyes on the picture and scopes.
Sweeping your fingers over a tablet, doesn't do the trick IMHO.

True but they could probably create a silicone overlay with cutouts of the buttons and jog wheel.

Great idea!

marshallbaker
11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
True, haptic would be better, but I think it's technology worth looking into. I like the idea of applying a multi touch "pinch to tweak..." (like pinch to zoom) type feature for color grading rather than using a mouse. It would not be worth investing into an iPad for the app, but for someone like myself with an old iPad gen 1 laying around, it would be a nice re purposing for cheap.

nickjbedford
11-21-2012, 08:04 PM
I just got an iPad mini and this would be fantastic to have for editing in FCPX. You can't get haptic feedback on an iPad, but the utility of this kind of app outweighs that. If you need a physical surface with haptic feedback, an iPad is not going to be able to give you that, so get a physical surface.

Frank Glencairn
11-22-2012, 02:00 AM
I wonder why none of the Chinese companies came up with a low buck surface yet.
If it would be in the price range of a good keyboard, the market may be big enough now.

CaptainHook
11-22-2012, 04:20 PM
There is basically the same discussion going on in sound forums right now as a manufacturer has just demo'd a new mixing console that is a giant touchscreen (46") with "virtual" faders instead of physical faders to control DAWs. Many people have made similar reservations about tactile response and not needing to look being a big speed advantage you don't get with this, but apparently everyone who has had a chance to demo the unit says it's not any slower since once you touch the area to adjust, you can look away again and push the control until you hear the adjustment hit the spot you're after. Part of the speed comes from being multi-touch so you're able to adjust more than one thing at a time. It would be similar for colour wheels to me, look down quickly to sit three fingers from both hands on to the wheels, then look back up and start adjusting all three together. Still gonna be much faster than a mouse and one wheel at a time. There's potential for an app like this IMHO. We're moving into a virtual world, physical control surfaces for both music and video will get replaced with something else eventually i'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4HHiXqcyu2M#t=214s

Frank Glencairn
11-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Wish I could just connect 3 cheap trackballs to an USB hub though.

Brad Ferrell
11-22-2012, 05:52 PM
if given the choice, I'd still go for the trackball controllers.

CaptainHook
11-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Wish I could just connect 3 cheap trackballs to an USB hub though.Yeah fair enough. I would get that too. It still makes no sense to me you cant customize control surface buttons for resolve though either.

kgimedia
07-23-2013, 08:23 PM
It goes live for sale in an hour.

http://ctrlconsole.com/

kgimedia
07-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Quick first look review it may make me unable to edit without it like the NES Advantage made me unable to play T&C Surf Designs with out it. All the key shortcuts I never bothered to learn fluently with FCP 2-7 are easy and quick. When I made the leap to FCPX the things I needed on screen were not instinctual anymore. I like this App. I hope they keep improving.

rick.lang
07-23-2013, 11:58 PM
I loaded the app on the iPad and the desktop app was running. I connected via wifi. Turned on gestures for the QuickTime controller but it made no difference. I had no control over QT on my desktop. What am I missing?

naavt
07-24-2013, 12:42 PM
!!! Is that easy to create an iPad APP?

At 1:30s that dude says that he had a 3 week deadline and no time to memorise shortcuts so instead he created an iPad controller surface!!! Gosh... Probably he created it that first night to have those 3 weeks (less that night), to edit his program! /s

Anyway... He mentions an EDIT controller. Resolve has editing capabilities but that's the functionality that I'm less interested in Resolve.

Tangent Devices iPad Color controller had much more finesse than this app to do color correction. And it was FREE!!! Shame that Tangent didn't decide to put some efforts into it to operate within Resolve (I don't know but maybe flood their email box with requests will work) :)

kgimedia
07-24-2013, 03:20 PM
!!! Is that easy to create an iPad APP?

At 1:30s that dude says that he had a 3 week deadline and no time to memorise shortcuts so instead he created an iPad controller surface!!! Gosh... Probably he created it that first night to have those 3 weeks (less that night), to edit his program! /s

Anyway... He mentions an EDIT controller. Resolve has editing capabilities but that's the functionality that I'm less interested in Resolve.

Tangent Devices iPad Color controller had much more finesse than this app to do color correction. And it was FREE!!! Shame that Tangent didn't decide to put some efforts into it to operate within Resolve (I don't know but maybe flood their email box with requests will work) :)

It took almost a year to develop and as stated it does not work with Resolve. I posted here rather than start a new thread. Ctrl+console launched with FCP 7&X, Premiere and QuickTime support. They are working on Lightroom, Adobe CC and Mackie HUI. Once they are out more are sure to follow.

Adam Roberts
07-25-2013, 05:04 AM
I tried the Tangent Devices vWave-Lite (http://www.tangentwave.co.uk/products_vwave.asp) with Apple Color before I moved over to Resolve. It's nice to be able to control more than one color wheel at a time but as Frank said there is no tactile feedback so you have to keep looking down to see where your hands are positioned.

Brooks
07-28-2013, 10:36 PM
I want to buy it, but I fail to see how it is any faster than using a key board? Anyone actually using it? Can you enlighten me how it's faster? Or is just that you don't have to memorize keyboard short cuts? (which I don't find that hard)

Miko Meloni
07-29-2013, 01:08 AM
Look at this
http://esperimentocinema.com/resolve-layout/