PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for an EF mount and APS-C size sensor BMDCC?

bumkicho
05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
I just wonder if this might be a better way to go for Black Magic to take for their next gen cam. It would be easier to port over a lot of designs and lens controls and give it a bigger sensor then going with different lens mount, control, design all over.

laco
05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
IF BMD will come out with a bigger sensor camera, we will know how much we have to pay:)
I don't think that BMD has chosen this sensor because of it's size, but it was a compromise between size/quality and costs.

HDkilledfilm.
05-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Please lets all try and keep the chatter down. As I've said in the first post and now for the third time try and keep this thread clean of anything other than how much you'd be willing to pay for a m4/3 mount for vendors, thanks again.

bumkicho
05-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Please lets all try and keep the chatter down. As I've said in the first post and now for the third time try and keep this thread clean of anything other than how much you'd be willing to pay for a m4/3 mount for vendors, thanks again.
Are you sure you are in the right thread?

bumkicho
05-07-2012, 03:13 PM
IF BMD will come out with a bigger sensor camera, we will know how much we have to pay:)
I don't think that BMD has chosen this sensor because of it's size, but it was a compromise between size/quality and costs.

I am not talking about their reasoning behind the current sensor.

What I am saying is, despite a lot of people on this site requesting about m43 lens mount, they may better off keeping the current design, lens controls, etc. and going with APS-C size sensor, faster frames, etc. for next gen BMDCC. Why? One, they get to retain a lot of development invested. Two, people love bigger size sensor. Three, it can be a solution to all these requests about m43 lens mount because m43 lenses are not practical to APS-C size sensor.

Just my thoughts.

HDkilledfilm.
05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Are you sure you are in the right thread?

haha, you are right I loaded the wrong thread, thanks-Adam

John Brawley
05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I am not talking about their reasoning behind the current sensor.

What I am saying is, despite a lot of people on this site requesting about m43 lens mount, they may better off keeping the current design, lens controls, etc. and going with APS-C size sensor, faster frames, etc. for next gen BMDCC. Why? One, they get to retain a lot of development invested. Two, people love bigger size sensor. Three, it can be a solution to all these requests about m43 lens mount because m43 lenses are not practical to APS-C size sensor.

Just my thoughts.

It's not as easy as simply having a "bigger sensor" and "higher frame rates".

The sensor is the most expensive part of the camera. There's a HUGE amount of R&D that happens, even once you choose a sensor from a third party. If you have a new size of sensor, you basically start again....

Higher frame rates are also difficult. You have took at the hardware, the ability to write the files fast enough and being able to keep the sensor cool enough. Sensor cooling also requires more power. The camera gets bigger. Needs bigger batteries. It's a vicious circle.

So there's the extra cost of the larger sensor, the r&d costs of fitting that new new sensor. faster and more expensive hardware, sensor cooling, and camera size to manage.

Let's say they sold a 2.5k RAW camera that's twice the size, has m4/3 mount on a super 35 sensor and and went to 60 FPS but costs 12k. They are going to struggle to compete for sales against a whole lot of cameras.

Right now they are in a very sweet spot for price and performance. I'm sure this could also change very quickly, depending on volume and how many cameras they sell.

jb

* BTW, I don't know what the actual costs would be, but when i asked the same questions I was told "a lot more expensive to the point where it's not worth it"

bumkicho
05-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Right now they are in a very sweet spot for price and performance.
I completely agree.

m4/3 mount on a super 35 sensor
Now here is my little question. Are m4/3 mount lenses usable on super 35 sensor? Doesn't it make better sense to keep EF mount for super 35 sensor camera? If it was ever to happen? I just couldn't get my head around same people asking for super 35 and m4/3 lens mount.

Andrew
05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Now here is my little question. Are m4/3 mount lenses usable on super 35 sensor? Doesn't it make better sense to keep EF mount for super 35 sensor camera? If it was ever to happen? I just couldn't get my head around same people asking for super 35 and m4/3 lens mount.

Yeah, m4/3 lenses will vignette on S35. Maybe not all, but I bet most will.

Grug
05-08-2012, 01:41 AM

The reasoning is simply to provide access to the widest possible range of 35mm lens mounts (via reasonably priced 3rd party adapters). You wouldn't use MFT lenses on a S35mm-sized sensor, but the mount would allow you to mount PL, EF, FD, Nikon F, Nikon G, Sony A-mount - almost any lens you could think of.

That's the reasoning for it.

A Sony e-mount would be equally useful (and perhaps more appropriate for a S35mm sensor) for the same reasons.

Better yet would be an interchangeable mount system provided by blackmagic themselves.

zareone
05-08-2012, 02:55 AM
A Sony e-mount would be equally useful (and perhaps more appropriate for a S35mm sensor) for the same reasons.

Better yet would be an interchangeable mount system provided by blackmagic themselves.

Totally agree. Interchangeable mount would be the best option. So, no need to manufacture different chasis, just diferent mounts. It could initially ship with an EF mount, and alter develop E-Mount, PL, m4/3...

If I had to choose a mount, it'll be Sony E-Mount, since it has a small flange distance, and Metabones has the electronic EF -> E adapter for a reasonable price: http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter

You could use Voigtlander and other Leica lenses on this beauty