PDA

View Full Version : The Grandmasters trailer..

refocusedmedia
11-16-2012, 10:58 AM
..is stunning.

Wong Kar Wai's latest, with choreography from the famous Woo-ping Yuen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEu7bwIh3j8

David
11-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Just taking a wild guess here but that wasn't shot on a Red. Skin tones are too nice. Maybe Alexa but film would be my first guess.

Frank Glencairn
11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Kung-Fu flicks,
but Jeeeesus is that cinematography and grading outstanding - looks a bit like something that Dion Beebe (one of my faforite DPs btw.) could have done.

I wish I come to the point one day, that I'm able to pull something like that.

Frank

RockhopperVFX
11-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Nothing stopping you Frank, seriously nothing stopping you,

dskubal
11-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Man the editor LOVED that bass hit with the pitch shift in it.

Interesting cinematography though! IMDB says it was indeed 35mm. Fuji stock.

David
11-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Man the editor LOVED that bass hit with the pitch shift in it.

Interesting cinematography though! IMDB says it was indeed 35mm. Fuji stock.

I thought so! Thanks for looking it up.

Trevor Roach
11-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Looks beautiful though. Love the rain footage =)

pharpsied
11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
I am a huge Kung Fu fan, huge, and I am in love with this. What is it? What is it about the east? Dragon with Takeshi Kaneshiro and Donnie Yen also looks incredible. Now this. How are they able to do this?

Frank Glencairn
11-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I looked it up, cinematography was by Philippe Le Sourd - I knew I saw that style before.
But that is the best one he ever did.

Paul Stephen Edwards
11-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Agreed w/ y'all. It's really neat to see Wong Kar Wai's art house sensibilities combined with an all-out action premise.

Matthew Bennett
11-18-2012, 08:01 PM
For a long time I thought it was the classic Chris Doyle - Wong Kar Wai combo, but now I find out its Philippe Le Sourd.

Kar Wai knows his images. I'm very sure he has a very high degree of influence over his DP's lighting - there is a strong thread of lighting and composition continuity here with every other picture he's made. Every single image in that trailer was a lovely painting unto itself!

Tim Hole
11-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Yeah this isn't just a Kung Fu flck...Its Wong Kar Wai doing a martial arts movie, with Tony Leung—possibly one of the coolest guys around.

I'd like to see Doyle and WKW work together again but I don't think it is very likely after 2046.

In all honesty I'm more excited about this than The Hobbit.