PDA

View Full Version : READ BEFORE POSTING: FAQ/GENERAL INFO on MAGIC CAM (EVOLVING)

Kholi
04-22-2012, 07:48 PM
CROP FACTOR/LENS MATCHING DATABASE: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?13-Crop-Factor-Lens-Database
RELEASE NOTES THREAD BY PAPPASARTS: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?14-Pappas-quot-Blackmagic-Camera-Announcements-amp-Latest-Info-quot-Thread
PRE-ORDERING INFO:http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?18-Pre-Order-Info-Thread
Main web url: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...ccinemacamera/

PRODUCTION FAQ

Is the sensor size too small for my needs?

The sensor size of the Magic Cam (Black Magic Cinema Camera) is slightly smaller than the Af100/GH2's Oversized Micro Four-Thirds camera and slightly larger than traditional Super 16mm. For reference, major motion pictures such as THE WRESTLER and BLACK SWAN have been shot on Super 16mm Film, that's a smaller frame than the Magic Cam.

By using wider lenses (ex. Sigma 20/1.8) you can achieve a similar angle of view to larger sensor cameras such as the GH2, 7D, or 5D.

Example: A 45mm on the 5D would exhibit a similar angle of view to the Magic Cam with a 20mm attached. The DOF characteristics may or may not be different, depending on F-stop.

What lenses should I consider?

If you're coming from a Canon production workflow, you may already have a set of Canon EF mounted lenses to utilize. If you're coming from a Nikon-centric production workflow, as of now, you'll need to purchase adapters that mount AI-S to EF.

On the wide end, you may want to take a look at offerings from several manufacturers. Focal lengths starting at 8mm or so. For more info, check out the lens sub forum.

Any info on possibilities of other lens mounts?

As of today, BMD must be very aware that the potential user base is requesting more mounting options. While a lot of glass can be attached to the EF mount that will ship in July, major interests are PL and Micro Four Thirds (or Four Thirds). They've made no indication of when, but so far it sounds like it's being considered.

Does the EF mount control image stabilization?

The EF mount currently controls Iris. Reports from NAB 2012 say that they are working on possibly adding Stabilization control and Auto-Focus.

What framerates are available?

23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30

Why only up to 30P?

No factual answer to this yet.

What's the native ISO?

No factual answer to this yet, although it has been mentioned several times that BMD is working at 800.

What are the ISO Options currently?

Currently ISOs available are 400, 800, 1600

How do I monitor beyond the built-in LCD?

The Magic Cam sports a 3G-SDI output currently. HD-SDI accessories will work with the port. Although there is a thunderbolt port, it is currently unknown as to whether the Thunderbolt port can output video.

What are the recording format/compression options?

Adobe CinemaDNG @ 2.5K
Apple ProRes Log 4:2:2 HQ @ 1080
Avid DNxHD @ 1080

How do I view RAW footage on the LCD properly?

When shooting raw, acquisition devices tend to employ a 3D LUT (Look Up Table -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_LUT) Depending on acquisition device, the LUT is not expected to be customizable out of camera. It is currently unknown if the Magic Cam's LUTs are customizable, but currently it sports a "FILM" LUT (BMD's version of LOG) and a "VIDEO" LUT (REC.709), both of which are being fine-tuned before release.

When recording to ProRes or DNxHD, what will the end result be?

If set to BMD's FILM (LOG) profile, you will have a LOG (flat) 10-bit 4:2:2 HQ 1080 image with nearly the same usable DR (dynamic range) as RAW.

When set to VIDEO (Rec. 709), footage will be acquired under the broadcast standard gamma, seeing a reduction in usable DR, but a more broadcast ready image.

Will the Magic Cam feed either LUT through the 3G-SDI port or THUNDERBOLT port?

Information currently unavailable at the moment.

What does the 3G-SDI port feed out?

10-bit 4:2:2 Full-Debayered quality (great for external recording, monitoring, everything).

Does white balance matter with raw?
The nature of RAW is to have full control over an image's attributes after capturing. That means a botched white balance in camera can be easily adjusted in post production software. As of now, the report is that White Balance is locked, but the RAW allows white balance to be adjusted with very little penalty.

The jury's still out on how this works, because again, RAW is supposed to be RAW.

What does a built-in battery mean for production?
The built-in battery lasts for ninety minutes (in the specs), it is charged when an external 12~30v source is connected to the power jack. This means that the camera can receive continuous, endless power without needing to be shut down.

NOTE:In the event that the battery no longer holds a charge, BMD will do an out of warranty battery replacement for $80 plus postage.

What kind of batteries should I look to purchase for production?
Battery solutions may range from batteries like TEKKEON PORTABLE POWER SOLUTIONS or adapting a V-mount, or Anton-Bauer mount system to the camera.

What are the recommended SSD drives and capacities?

factual information currently unknown

Is there a recording time limitation?

Due to the HFS+ format requirement, the Magic Cam does not have a recording time limit, aside from the space limitations of your SSD drive. The larger the drive, the longer the roll.

How is Timecode handled?

Currently the camera does not feature Timecode, but it has been reported that BMD are working on a solution for jam sync.

Does the camera have Genlock for 3D application?

Currently it is believed that Thunderbolt may be able to deliver Genlock capabilities.

Is the sensor CMOS or CCD?

The Magic Cam features a CMOS sensor.

How bad is the rolling shutter (jello)?

factual information currently unknown

The sensor is larger than the active area, can we enable the entire sensor for anamorphic shooting?

BMD are currently aware of the interest in anamorphic shooting. It is likely that this feature will not be available in the first version of the Magic Cam.

AUDIO

Does the camera offer phantom power for mics?

No official information on phantom power has been released yet

Are there on screen meters for levels?
factual information not available yet

POST PRODUCTION FAQ

What is the difference between RAW and Compressed?

What is the RAW format from the Magic Cam?

How do I process DNG files?

Are there any current NLEs that allow you to edit DNG?

Will I need new hardware to take advantage of this camera's full potential?

Where can I find a workflow explanation for my current setup?

Are there tutorials for Resolve 9?

Original DVXuser Q&A Thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?280531-Working-with-DNG-what-are-the-options&p=1986132562&posted=1#post1986132562

PappasArts
04-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Kholi- Two of the top Links don't work.

" RELEASE NOTES THREAD BY PAPPASARTS. & Main web url" goes to the wrong page.

Pappas
http://PAPPASARTS.WORDPRESS.COM
http://TWITTER.COM/PAPPASARTS

BlackMagic Digital Camera Info: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?28-BlackMagic-Cinema-Camera-Technology-Announcements-amp-Latest-Info

Phil999
04-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Does the camera offer phantom power for mics?

No official information on phantom power has been released yet
?

I thought I saw that on the BM homepage. Anyway, it must have phantom power. Everything else would not make sense. You would need an extra mixer and power for it and set the camera input to line . . . impossible.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Kholi: The link is broken at the top your FAQ for the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera (http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/) product page.

Phil999
04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
I have the impression BMD changed some bits of their camera website part. I could be wrong, just an impression.

nilsonium
04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
They definitely corrected the lens compatibility to ZE from ZF lenses... I could

nickjbedford
04-29-2012, 11:27 PM
It says the white balance is currently locked. Is this only for raw (which I can understand)? I couldn't imagine trying to capture to a video format without white balancing... I've never worked in log video before though.

Steve Wake
05-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Wow, we've found out a lot in 3 weeks - mostly thanks to John Brawley. Just about every point from "How do I monitor beyond the built-in LCD" to the end needs to be updated. The easy way to find updates is just look up John Brawley's posts. I strongly suggest any new BMCusers do that before asking questions that already have answers.

laco
05-10-2012, 01:43 AM
It says the white balance is currently locked. Is this only for raw (which I can understand)? I couldn't imagine trying to capture to a video format without white balancing... I've never worked in log video before though.

locked could just mean "baked in", if this is the case, nothing to worry about.
This means, that the white balance setting is only a metadata for the raw files. (Like when you shoot a picture with a 5D, then open it in Photoshop, you will have a white balance already selected).
Of course, with the appropriate application you can modify it. Try to download some Ikonoskop CinemaDNG, and open a frame in photoshop:)

I hope the BMC footage will work the same way.

Kholi
05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Will update this soon, want to do one big update with all new info.

JDB
05-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Have some info regarding timecode;

"The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera has built-in metadata support for timecode, scene, shot and even a short description. At this point, this metadata will be supported in FCPX and DaVinci Resolve, on release.

Any other features not on the BMD website are not official."

Mild Mannered Man
06-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Found this here about what works for BMCC hard drive wise. Here are the brands of SSD drive we have tested and recommend: OCZ 240GB Vertex 3, OCZ 480GB Vertex 3, Crucial 256GB C300, Crucial 512GB M4 (firmware 009), Kingston 64GB SSDNow V+100, Kingston 128GB SSDNow V+100, Samsung SSD 830 512GB.

found on the phoblographer.com: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/06/13/questions-with-terry-frechette-director-of-marketing-americas-at-blackmagic-design/

Tom
06-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Question about Audio inputs, I see it has x2 balanced 1/4" inputs, is this Left and Right or is it 4 channel sound - so each input supports stereo sound?

EvilKoala
06-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Question about Audio inputs, I see it has x2 balanced 1/4" inputs, is this Left and Right or is it 4 channel sound - so each input supports stereo sound?

+1 on this. Say we have a preamp that handles XLR and outputs to a standard 3.5mm port. Since the camera has two 1/4" inputs, will we need to go from one-to-two, as I have seen adapters for this, or will the stereo audio from the preamp still be picked up by only one input?

-Chris

rexbron
06-26-2012, 10:33 AM
The Pre-amp won't work at all if it's outputting unbalanced audio. You'd need to get a mixer that outputs stereo balanced and you can get a physical adapter from XLR to 1/4" TRS.

rexbron
06-26-2012, 10:36 AM
The specs list 4 channels of audio embeded in the HD-SDI feed, no word on what gets laid down on camera. Also, the specs list only a mono microphone, so it probably is just two track mono.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
06-26-2012, 02:44 PM
My guess, and it's only a guess, is that because the audio inputs on the side of the camera are labeled "1" and "2", and not something like "1/3" and "2/4", is that the two balanced inputs are mono and routed into channels 1 and 2 respectively. My guess is that the built-in mono mic is recorded onto channels 3 and 4. But a common design is that an internal mic gets cut off when external inputs are plugged in.

As the previous posters indicate, quite a few alternative combinations are possible, so it'll be interesting to learn what the final production version of the cam actually does by the time it ships.

Adam Wilt published the attached snapshot of the prototype's Audio Settings menu at NAB, but I don't know how much if any of that was functional or if it represents the final design. We shall see.

Tom
08-05-2012, 03:31 AM
On twitter, John has just posted that the camera now has ISO 200 as well.

Brian@202020
08-06-2012, 08:00 AM

For me this is very good news.

laco
08-06-2012, 08:06 AM

it's in the official FAQ as well:
http://blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail/faqs?sid=27541&pid=27542&os=mac