PDA

View Full Version : Additional intermittent downtime next few days

Jason Ramsey
10-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Hello, all. I apologize once again for the downtime we have been experiencing. There will be some more windows of downtime, and the look of the site will change when we come back from some of these scheduled maintenance windows.

Now, that the server issues we experienced the last couple of days appear to have been fully resolved, I am resuming the process of doing some incremental server and forum software upgrades in preparation for a larger update. This will require me to bring the site down for brief periods here and there at times over the next few days.

With some of these incremental upgrades, the site's style will be different (b/c I don't want to have to re-build this style from scratch for something that will only be live for a day or less at a time)... Just a heads up. Don't panic about that. We can discuss the look of the site when *all* of the upgrades have been completed.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

DPStewart
10-28-2016, 04:27 PM
Will there still be cake in the break-room?

Jason Ramsey
10-28-2016, 05:10 PM
always.

Jason Ramsey
10-28-2016, 06:41 PM
There have been some server side changes. Please report any new issues you discover in this thread. Thanks.

There is some additional downtime planned for some point this evening/tonight. The next downtime after that (if all goes well) will be Sunday.

Jason Ramsey
10-28-2016, 10:07 PM
There is no additional downtime scheduled for tonight.

The next scheduled downtime will be Sunday Morning/Early Afternoon.

I apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. When, this is all done, bmcuser will have a native responsive style (see: mobile friendly!), and hopefully some recent pesky bugs will have been squashed as well.

rick.lang
10-30-2016, 08:10 AM
Jason, thanks for your efforts on out behalf? Will mobile friendly mean that we shall be able to use Tapatalk as our mobile interface?

Jason Ramsey
10-30-2016, 01:19 PM
Things look different, I know :) Hang with me. There is absolutely nothing final about what you see .

This style is just a hold me over and an incremental step of upgrades along the way to something new.

There will be more downtime coming today.

I am attempting to minimize the downtime of the live site for you all. One of the side effects is you have to live with the current style for the day :)

Thanks for your continued patience and understanding.

EDIT: If you do notice anything completely broken, please let me know in this thread.

Jason Ramsey
10-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Also, if you can please confirm that the current style you are seeing is very clearly NOT the old style, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

PeopleCanFly
10-30-2016, 02:03 PM
I don't mind change, even if it's only for a day. Now I can stay up late for many more hours with the darker theme (while it lasts). :cool:

Jason Ramsey
10-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Thank you for your continued patience.

Another round of downtime has just completed. Other than what has already been noted above with regards to Today's earlier downtime, you shouldn't notice anything different... Other than, perhaps, a notable performance improvement.

There is more downtime scheduled for later, barring any unforeseen issues. Again, I will continue to work to minimize downtime to the live site as much as possible. I appreciate your understanding.

EDIT: Please report any serious issues in this thread. Thank you.

I don't mind change, even if it's only for a day. Now I can stay up late for many more hours with the darker theme (while it lasts). :cool:

I like darker styles as well ;)

DPStewart
10-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Definitely NOT the old style.

Text is smaller, and the brown bars are now mustard yellow.

Plus it's making me sound smarter, so it must still have some bugs in it.

Jason Ramsey
10-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Another window of downtime has completed. Thank you once again for being patient with me throughout this process.

We are still in a transition state. The next couple of maintenance windows will be the last downtime associated with this work (if all goes as planned). This work will continue tonight, and tomorrow.

A couple of quick reminders:
-Style is temporary, so no need to post style feedback yet unless something is broken.
-Please report any bugs you find to me in this thread.

Thank you so much for your continued patience. Almost there... :)

Denny Smith
10-30-2016, 07:01 PM
I am kind of liking the new look, text is easier to read in the IPad. There has definitely been an improvement in,performance also. Pages,load,much quicker. Thanks for that.
Keep,up the good work, and good luck.
Cheers

Jason Ramsey
10-30-2016, 07:31 PM
I am kind of liking the new look, text is easier to read in the IPad. There has definitely been an improvement in,performance also. Pages,load,much quicker. Thanks for that.
Keep,up the good work, and good luck.
Cheers

Thanks for that, and thank you for the performance report. It is much appreciated.

Frank Glencairn
10-31-2016, 02:42 AM
Performance is definitely better, but on my end it still takes forever to load the personal messages.
Could be my browser/computer though.

And yes, the brown went gold - not the old style.

Jason Ramsey
10-31-2016, 08:55 AM
Performance is definitely better, but on my end it still takes forever to load the personal messages.
Could be my browser/computer though.

And yes, the brown went gold - not the old style.

There are some additional server side changes happening today that may help further improve performance as it relates to database queries, however, I've not experienced the issue you are referencing. If you can pm me with some more info on that, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jason Ramsey
10-31-2016, 11:44 AM
I've disabled the wysiwyg editor globally.

This leaves you with the standard editor, and the basic editor (it should default to the standard editor for everyone under this setting).

The reason I am telling you this is b/c it avoids some pesky bugs in our forum software with some versions of web browsers (most recently, a space bar issue with quote replies in v54 of google chrome, for example).

So, I wanted to ask for your feedback... Can you all live with the standard editor? It works mostly in the same way as the wysiwyg editor that you may have opted to use. You still have buttons for the most common formatting options (e.g. bold, italic, underline, quote, etc) and keyboard shortcuts still work for bold, underline, etc.

You just see the bbcode instead of a visual representation of the formatting when typing in the editor.

If you never changed your editor settings, then you may already have been using the standard editor on bmcuser, as that was already set as the default for new registrations.

Thanks for your feedback on this.

Caprice__
10-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Is there any way we can get the 'Whats New' tab back on the home page?

Jason Ramsey
10-31-2016, 12:52 PM
Is there any way we can get the 'Whats New' tab back on the home page?

Yes. It just doesn't behave the same as it did in previous versions. It is missing the "new posts" in the sub-nav, replaced instead with "activity stream"... That is why I have it turned off for now. I will look into it though.

Caprice__
10-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Thanks Jason, it's the best/easiest way to see new info on the site.

Jason Ramsey
10-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Thanks Jason, it's the best/easiest way to see new info on the site.

"What's New?" tab is back and working as before.

EYu
11-01-2016, 09:17 PM
I have 3 complaints and just hoping there's remedies...

1. The font is so small it is hard to read.
2. I have to login each time I just want to read Today's Posts (New Posts). I didn't have to before the upgrade.
3. The mustard color bars had me now visiting the threads only when I'm in the bathroom. The good thing is I'm reading the post less often; the bad thing is I have to go each time I'm curious what my compadres are posting.

Please Mr. Ramsey, bring back the good old jalopy.

Jason Ramsey
11-02-2016, 07:36 AM
I have 3 complaints and just hoping there's remedies...

1. The font is so small it is hard to read.
2. I have to login each time I just want to read Today's Posts (New Posts). I didn't have to before the upgrade.
3. The mustard color bars had me now visiting the threads only when I'm in the bathroom. The good thing is I'm reading the post less often; the bad thing is I have to go each time I'm curious what my compadres are posting.

Please Mr. Ramsey, bring back the good old jalopy.

I am going to do some work on the style today, since we are going to hold where we are for a bit.

EYu
11-21-2016, 01:18 AM
Is there a way to make the fonts either larger and brighter? It is not easy to read or post on a tablet or smart phone. Also, we used to be able to view the new posts without signing on. It will be well appreciated if that can be enabled again.

haavard
11-21-2016, 09:20 AM
+1 for brighter fonts, quite difficult to read under some conditions on tablets/phones

Jason Ramsey
11-21-2016, 12:19 PM
roger that. haven't gotten back to the style yet, but it's on the list for this week.

EYu
11-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Thanks Jsaon. Very much appreciated by old men like me.;)

Denny Smith
12-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Me too, thanks Jason.
Cheers