PDA

View Full Version : Shooting my first documentary on the BMC today

Frank Glencairn
11-13-2012, 01:15 AM
I'm shooting my first documentary on the BMC today.
After all those tests, I now feel confident enough to take her for a real world ride.

It's one out of my "10DOC" (10 minute documentary) series.
We are shooting 2 days - last camera prep/check in the moment and in 30 minutes we take off.

I let you guys know (of course) how it went.

Frank

Lorenzo Straight
11-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Hope your shoot goes as planned, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished work, Frank.

Simon Shasha
11-13-2012, 04:16 AM
Frank, make sure you take the Rokinon 24mm T1.5 with you! :)

Frank Glencairn
11-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Frank, make sure you take the Rokinon 24mm T1.5 with you! :)

Why did I know, that you gonna ask for that? :)

First day went quite well.
One of my SSDs did not exactly well - it started acting up on the first shot, to a point where I had to take it out and reboot the camera, since it was frozen.
When I put it in again the screen said "no SSD". Meh.
I was able to download all my material to the laptop though and it all looks fine.
Was the same Kingston card, that dropped frames before. Think I get some Sandiscs for the future, I'm done with Kingston (my other one has no problems yet, but never the less).

Here is some BTS for starters.

And yeah, don't ask......

:)

Soeren Mueller
11-14-2012, 07:21 AM
And yeah, don't ask......

:)

lol.. a white grand, elvis and a black stallion... wtf :cool:

Wuudi
11-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Frank what Kingston? The V+200 ?

Frank Glencairn
11-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Frank what Kingston? The V+200 ?

Yup.

Frank Glencairn
11-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Some grabs

@Simon Shasha 2 and 3 are the 24mm Samyang

Soeren Mueller
11-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Nice.. come on Frank, I know deep down you want to rent out the camera.. =)

Btw is that the DigitalJuice slider you recommended?

Frank Glencairn
11-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Nice.. come on Frank, I know deep down you want to rent out the camera.. =)

Btw is that the DigitalJuice slider you recommended?

I'm scared to look THAT deep into myself, god knows what I would find there :)

Yes, that's the DJ slider.

More BTS: flying the BMC

DJJ
11-14-2012, 09:05 AM
The grabs from your shots look great to me, loads of detail and lovely tones. Looking forward to seeing the finished documentary, will we get to see it Frank or is it commissioned?

Frank Glencairn
11-14-2012, 09:26 AM
You probably have to watch it on TV, but I gonna post a teaser.
Unfortunately not before June next year (we have to shoot 2 events at that location that need to be in the film), when you guys all have your own BMC Cameras to play with. :)
It's a bit complicated and I can't go deeper into it here, sorry.

Frank

Lorenzo Straight
11-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Man, these frame grabs are killer. Nice work.

mbeck
11-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Fantastic stuff man! this camera rocks! and so does what you do with it!

jambredz
11-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Grabs look great Frank! When I saw the piano and horse I had to check if you said documentary and not music video lol .WTF

mhood
11-14-2012, 11:13 AM
I was just wondering how you cleaned the marble floor without scratching it. ;)

Gr8 stuff Frank! TYVM!

Simon Shasha
11-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Some grabs

@Simon Shasha 2 and 3 are the 24mm Samyang

Frank! THESE LOOK GREAT!! Thanks so much for this!! :)

markmwilliams
11-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Frank, these shots look amazing! Thanks for posting.

I completely appreciate that this is a commercial project and you're limited about what you can show and reveal to us but it would be great to hear your thoughts on how the BMCC holds up on a professional film shoot. What the pro's / con's / benefits / pitfalls are.

Good look with the rest of the shoot.

Simon Shasha
11-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Also Frank, are these shots from ProRes or RAW?

Soeren Mueller
11-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Lets guess.. I say it's.. raw?

@Frank .. thanks for sharing! Isn't that the chinese stabilizer you got? (if I remember correctly) so you're happy with it so far?

Hey if you're ever in the northwestern parts here say hi! ;)

Frank Glencairn
11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the warm words guys.

Yes it was raw (quick grade in Resolve). And besides the problems with the SSD (see page one) the BMC worked like a charm. No fuzz, no hickups everything smooth and dandy.

And yes, that was a Chinese (Wondlan Leopard III) stabilizer. Works fine with the BMC if you don't attach too much gear to it - well that's where the build in battery was useful.
With the v-mount battery on top of it, it would be to heavy for that light stabilizer.
I'm far from being a good steadicam operator, but got decent and presentable results with it very quick.

Frank

Tom
11-15-2012, 09:33 AM
those frames are stunning!

Cannot wait to see this!

Trevor Roach
11-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Great job Frank. Appreciate your detailed input! :)

Soeren Mueller
11-15-2012, 11:04 AM
And yes, that was a Chinese (Wondlan Leopard III) stabilizer. Works fine with the BMC if you don't attach too much gear to it - well that's where the build in battery was useful.
With the v-mount battery on top of it, it would be to heavy for that light stabilizer.
I'm far from being a good steadicam operator, but got decent and presentable results with it very quick.

Thanks! That sounds good.. so you think this single spring/arm design should be fine/enough for a casual I mean non-pro stabilizer user with a DSLR or a (light setup) BMCC? I guess you can't really boom up and down much with a single arm thou...
And I noticed that the post was protruded quite a bit.. guess because of the "max weight"? =)

mje9473
11-15-2012, 11:30 AM
what lenses are you using? looks great.

Frank Glencairn
11-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks! That sounds good.. so you think this single spring/arm design should be fine/enough for a casual I mean non-pro stabilizer user with a DSLR or a (light setup) BMCC? I guess you can't really boom up and down much with a single arm thou...
And I noticed that the post was protruded quite a bit.. guess because of the "max weight"? =)

Yup, no booming, but it's good enough for what I need it for.
If you want to do do some serious steadycam stuff, you need to spend more though.
At least something with a monitor at the lower end and a double arm.

Glass was Samyang 24/35mm - on the stabilizer I had a Tokina 12-24mm @ around 16mm

DJJ
11-15-2012, 12:50 PM
I keep looking at those frame grabs, they really do look "cinematic" to me, very very nice.

That last grab just makes me think of The Godfather every time :) it wouldn't look out of place...