11-12-2012, 08:28 PM
http://vimeo.com/52564209

Bluntforce
11-12-2012, 08:33 PM
here is his twitter link with details on this shoot

http://www.fstopacademy.com/blog/a-portrait-of-stockholm/

Kyle Presley
11-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Very nice, but with some terrible moire and aliasing on that building. Yuck! Why they went without an OLPF is beyond me.

CineMac
11-12-2012, 09:10 PM
:eek: For the love of all that is holy, gimme my damn camerahhhh!!!!!

Pretty nice man... pretty nice...

Trevor Roach
11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Very nice, but with some terrible moire and aliasing on that building. Yuck! Why they went without an OLPF is beyond me.

Yeah I noticed that too.

Loved the look though...to think that this is what the camera produces with ungraded footage...Make the wait that much harder haha

Kholi
11-12-2012, 10:09 PM
You know what? Iw as going to ask Den on the vimeo page if he used a Fader, and then I looked at the shoot details...
yes... a fader. The color cast was the first tell, then the loss of detail (which strangely did not help the moire here, go figure). But then the flares... so unpleasant.. ARggg

I don't understand... why can't people see it? =[

Michael Solomon
11-13-2012, 01:39 AM
You know what? Iw as going to ask Den on the vimeo page if he used a Fader, and then I looked at the shoot details...
yes... a fader. The color cast was the first tell, then the loss of detail (which strangely did not help the moire here, go figure). But then the flares... so unpleasant.. ARggg

It strikes again!

bowman
11-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Moire and Alising are just words to me, never bothered looking for it and never saw it much. You got to look at the overal image as your viewers will. I found it a little soft maybe due to filters.

The only criticism I have is I'm tired of seeing ungraded footage. The whole beauty of the footage is how much can be pulled out of the shadows and highlights its like going half way all this ungraded footage.

RyGuy
11-13-2012, 02:37 AM

I used a fader once...

Emphasis on "ONCE"

Joe Shaw
11-13-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm with you. I don't get it. And the irony is this film is predicated as being from a Zeiss ambassador. All that wonderful glass at your disposal and slapping a fader on the front of it. Kills me!

I use a simple slotted filter holder/collapsible shade from Lee Filters and a set of ND's/Grad ND's. Used them all over the world. It's a really good option for people who don't want the weight or hassle of a full mattebox. I can really recommend it.

Felix
11-13-2012, 03:39 AM
The moire is hardcore. I hope mosaic brings an OLPF filter fast.

Osslund
11-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Pretty shitty locations to shoot at and man the camera slides became boring after half a minute. Hated the flares in so many shots. Stockholm has so many nice and interesting locations to shoot at so this was really disappointing.

daveswan
11-13-2012, 04:07 AM
I do so hate flares, sooo 70s :o

Un-motivated camera moves are as tiresome as the un-motivated focus pulls we saw in the early days of the DSLR craze.

And why ungraded footage? Would you searve a raw steak to your guests? (Appologies to veggies)

trez
11-13-2012, 06:07 AM
I used a fader once...

Emphasis on "ONCE"

Hehe. I once bought two (different diameter). I only used one of them once (emphasis on both ONE and ONCE ;)). I could not believe how bad it was. And I'm usually not crazy about sharpness - pay much more attention to other things. I never used the other one - preferred to sell it as a new item.

Soeren Mueller
11-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Never used a fader ND until now because I heard so much bad things about it ;) .. but is there a noticable difference I mean is the Heliopan for example definitely better than the others or would you still get big problems with sharpness and colors etc?

Osslund
11-13-2012, 07:07 AM
I do have a Kenko NDX and used it on my 5D3. It works fine on 24-70/2.8 & 70-200/2.8 and only has a very slight green tint. I have it in my case but try to do without it most of the time.

I also had a couple of Fader ND but they all sucked pretty bad.

bowman
11-13-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm not sure hating Camera flares, camera movements and location choice are a reasonable appraisal of footage.

jdwyer
11-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Never used a fader ND until now because I heard so much bad things about it ;) .. but is there a noticable difference I mean is the Heliopan for example definitely better than the others or would you still get big problems with sharpness and colors etc?

Any Heliopan ND Fader users have an opinion? Thanks

Soeren Mueller
11-13-2012, 08:49 AM
I do have a Kenko NDX and used it on my 5D3. It works fine on 24-70/2.8 & 70-200/2.8 and only has a very slight green tint. I have it in my case but try to do without it most of the time.

Yeah I get that they should be avoided.. still would be interesting for some run & gun cases. So you'd say the Kenko NDX is better than the Heliopan?

Osslund
11-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I guess the Heliopan is better than the Kenko.

teh
11-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm with you. I don't get it. And the irony is this film is predicated as being from a Zeiss ambassador. All that wonderful glass at your disposal and slapping a fader on the front of it. Kills me!

I use a simple slotted filter holder/collapsible shade from Lee Filters and a set of ND's/Grad ND's. Used them all over the world. It's a really good option for people who don't want the weight or hassle of a full mattebox. I can really recommend it.

I don't mean to get to offtopic, but could you give me a link to the system you use? I would appreciate it!

thanks

daveswan
11-13-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure hating Camera flares, camera movements and location choice are a reasonable appraisal of footage.

No?

To me it's a whole, and I found teh flares and unmotivated movement distracting.

Joe Shaw
11-13-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't mean to get to offtopic, but could you give me a link to the system you use? I would appreciate it!

thanks

Hood - http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera-directory/camera-dir-list/category/wideangled-hood
Filters - http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/products.aspx

I also use the Lee adapter rings, I keep one on every lens. This allows for really fast swapping of lenses and the hood.

Would work well with the BMCC.

Kholi
11-13-2012, 11:15 AM
For the record, I didn't think a lot of the shots were bad. Some of the stuff looked great overall. Just the faders, IMO no matter how expensive... anyway, I've said that before.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but this horse is a zombie clearly and just won't die.

Alex Mandarino
11-13-2012, 01:28 PM
For the record, I didn't think a lot of the shots were bad. Some of the stuff looked great overall. Just the faders, IMO no matter how expensive... anyway, I've said that before.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but this horse is a zombie clearly and just won't die.

lol Indeed some beautiful shots coming, but using a fader like that is just a waste of such a good glass. I'm using tiffen water glass. I started using on my 5D, then o Red. I think is an amazing ND and cuts really well IR pollution.

that color shift coming from vari Nds are nasty...

Jason M.
11-13-2012, 05:41 PM

Oh, god. That moire is horrible. Agreed with everyone here about the OLPF. Gotta have it.

jambredz
11-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Any Heliopan ND Fader users have an opinion? Thanks

Heliopan has a slight shift to green but if you manually WB theres no problem. it has no drop in sharpness that I have seen. However it does start to vignette on anything less than 35mm and you run the risk of getting the "X" hatch if you are using it to full strength on wider than 35mm.

Frank Glencairn
11-14-2012, 03:33 AM
I second that, never had a sharpness problem with the Heliopan.

If you have a X hatch problem, here is my fix
The Heliopan has a little screw on the side, that not only acts as a stop, but also holds the front glass in position.

1. Take your widest lens, and put the Heliopan on it. Point the camera to the sky.
2. Turn the ND to the max, till it hits the stop (you probably already see the vignetting or X-hatch coming in)
3. Loosen the screw just enough, so that you can twist the front glass.
4. Dial the glass back till the vignetting is gone - make sure the outer ring stays at maximum.
5. Fasten the screw.
6. Wipe off your greasy fingerprints.

Done.

Frank

Osslund
11-14-2012, 04:01 AM
My Kenko NDX works fine with my Canon 24-70/2.8 at all focal lengths but becomes a bit weird with my EF 24/1.4 II.

I wrote this article (http://editmansweden.com/2012/08/06/kenko-ndx-variable-nd-filter/)about the Kenko NDX with image samples.

nickjbedford
11-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Is it a short film when its just a bunch of unrelated dolly shots with objects obstructing your view, a whole lotta flare and no editing for narrative flow? Master, medium, do a cut in. Back to wider medium. Onto next scene sorta stuff.

Osslund
11-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Good question. If you just stack clips it's an edit but when you incorporate music and such it becomes a video. If you tell a story it becomes a film.

trez
11-14-2012, 05:50 AM

Mine were Genus ones. You can safely rule them out. Sharpness, color - unacceptable... Add vigneting to the list, too. I don't know about other stuff - may be better.