PDA

View Full Version : Forced Perspective with the BMC

Tim Hole
11-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Anybody ever played around with forced perspective?

I have the urge to have play around with it just for interests sake; I might make a little short. I was thinking that the BMC would actually be a perfect camera for this kind of work, for a few reasons. The m4/3" sensor gives a natively deeper DOF, meaning no so much light needs to be thrown at the scene; longer lenses, that compact the background, with possibility of unusually fast apertures; it is a compact camera allowing dramatic camera angles; well endowed for VFX shots given bit-depth and raw capability, and sharp with high resolution.

Thoughts?

nickjbedford
11-09-2012, 10:53 PM
How they do it on Lord Of The Rings in particular is so cool. Would be a fun project. I agree about the deeper depth of field being helpful for this kind of shooting, though it's probably not going to be as deep as you might think. Still will be helpful to get twice-ish the depth of field with the same aperture.

Tim Hole
11-09-2012, 11:19 PM
I have a good handle on it from using a GH2, but really its about just having that little bit of a leg up, from the points that I mentioned. Together they would help sell the effect, and a little cheaper too. I might do some quick tests on my GH2 and then step it up eventually with the BMC.

Will post results.

RockhopperVFX
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I do forced perspective work, hanging miniatures , foreground work and also matte painting, its tricky but once you got your head around it, lots of fun can be had, though it is limiting as most shots are locked off,

with the BMC i was going to use a long lens not a prime, and use deep depth of field, this was one of the reasons I was going to buy it. Easier to match value in post for compositing.

Depth of field relies on Subject to camera distance, Lens focal length and aperture. So as long as you have that worked out its pretty good fun, 13 stops dynamic range will help substantially.