PDA

View Full Version : 1080i output via HD-SDI?

taz291819
05-04-2012, 08:52 AM
I know this was asked in another thread, but does anyone (John?) know if 1080i output will be or can be added to the HD-SDI output? The ATEM switchers can't take a 1080p input, which would be a deal-breaker for us.

Many thanks!
Mike

taz291819
05-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Just an update. I emailed BMD about this, and itlooks like we're out of luck for the time being. I really don't understand them making a camera that doesn't work with their own switchers, that amazes me. Anyway, this was the email I received from BMD after asking:

This question have been raised by several customers and has been logged
for investigation by our engineers for possible future updates. Currently,
however, the Cinema Camera will not work with the ATEM line of switchers.
If any updates of this nature do come down the pipeline, it will likely be
announced on our website.

I'm scratching my head over this. Even their own cross-converter wouldn't help, as it doesn't accept 1080p.

Michael Olsen
05-05-2012, 01:59 AM
I think the fact that the product is called the Blackmagic Cinema Camera goes a long way towards explaining this. Unless I'm missing it in the menus, most cinema cameras (Alexa, Epic, Scarlet, F65...) aren't exactly switcher or broadcast-ready in the sense that their outputs are pretty much all either 1080p 4:2:2 YUV and/or 4:4:4 RGB over dual link or 3G HD-SDI.

There are going to be some square peg round hole situations with this camera, and I believe this is one of them. It's not made to be used for live production. Can you make it work? Probably. But how much better than another solution will it be once that system is up and running?

taz291819
05-05-2012, 12:10 PM
To be fair, this is directly from the BMD site:

"Say goodbye to annoying custom cables you can never find when on a location shoot because Blackmagic Cinema Camera uses only standard connections! You get jack mic/line audio inputs for recording the highest quality uncompressed audio, as well as 3 Gb/s SDI out for on set monitoring or for sending to live production switchers. Also included is 12V to 30V DC input for power and battery charging, 3.5mm headphone socket, LANC remote control and high speed Thunderbolt port for computer capture!"

Michael Olsen
05-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Well, to be fair, there are multi-format 1080p/(60,30,29.97,25,24,23.97) production switchers, so...it can definitely be used to send a single to live production switchers, assuming the switcher can handle it.

taz291819
05-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Exactly my point, why wouldn't they make their own camera compatible with their own switchers? (Or vice-versa). Honestly, I think they'll make their switchers compatible with the camera. They already can handle 720p60, I don't see them having a problem with 1080p30.