PDA

View Full Version : Some more quick and dirty Ursa Mini 4.6k shots with some vintage glass at LIB2016

C.H.Haskell
06-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Hey Folks,

My name is Clay Haskell, had the opportunity to grab a few test shots with the Ursa Mini 4.6k (PL version) during the lightning in a bottle festival.

Excuse my slop camera work, I just really wanted to see what the images looked like right out of the gate...this is literally the 1st time I ever used the camera, I was not familiar at the time with the various settings so I kind of tried them all to see what looked best.

I don't really recommend doing that but some times the best way to learn how to drive is behind the wheel, so here goes! (Don't forget to punch up the resolution!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzK1xjQwdL8

I was using vintage glass because that's what I had available to me (and because I love old glass).

I tried to get some modern lens in their for comparions, I think I have one or two shots with a SLR magic cine lens. I also put included a high speed a7sII shot for comparison.

This is my 1st time with blackmagic design and two positives i noticed right off the bat, and to echo others, is 1. Dynamic Range kicks ass and 2. The color science is incredibly pleasing to my eye.

Very natural, organic, alexa like images I would say.

Yes there seems to be some pattern noise at 800 and above but its easy to clean up and I sure there will be a fix for it later, via firmware perhaps?

Overall I feel blackmagic built a damn good camera, will be shooting a big commercial in South France in 2 weeks so I will have a better report by then.

Hope this helps, cheers...

Clay

Sarlacc
06-29-2016, 09:48 PM
With colors that are supposed to be vivid, I would re-time this. It needs contrast, you have no black. And that will help the color pop more.This feels a little washed out to me.

C.H.Haskell
06-29-2016, 10:46 PM
Yeah that was kind of the point, to share footage un graded...out of the box.

stevesherrick
06-30-2016, 01:03 AM
Did I see some magenta in there? jk :-)

C.H.Haskell
06-30-2016, 06:24 PM
No magenta! :)