PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to BMCC RE Active M43 Mount

jdwyer
11-03-2012, 08:57 AM
I understand that you are going to issue another update on the progress of shipping of the cameras and the issues you are trying to overcome with the quality of the parts.

Can you please address your future plans for an active M43 mount. As it would be very helpful to know if you plan to release an active mount in 6 months or even a year. As if I finally get my delivery in January or early next year It would be awful to hear that the active mount is released just a few months later.

Can you please provide some idea of a time scale you plan for an active mount? Or even clarify that you have no plans for 2013?

Thanks

G-Man
11-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm sure they've got their hands full with trying to get the cameras out, but with all of the delays, it would be nice if they had someone working on an active mft mount in the meantime so they could just roll that out instead of the passive mount. I would think it would be possible since the hang up appears to be with the sensor manufacturer.

popcornflix
11-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I would certainly be willing to wait an extra 30-60 days to get the active mount.

Retrospective
11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
what advantages would the active mount have compared to the passive mount?

yoclay
11-15-2012, 02:18 AM
what advantages would the active mount have compared to the passive mount?

Iris control, autofocus, etc.

popcornflix
11-15-2012, 02:27 AM
More to the point, if you have any Panny auto lenses or Olympus 4/3 with the Panny M4/3 adapter, they will not work with the passive mount. You won't be able to change the iris.

adam777
11-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Sounds like the OP really wants a GH2 that records raw.

bowman
11-15-2012, 04:21 AM
I kind of understand the concerns of the OP But you need to consider a few things. Firstly the camera costs $3,000 dollars with Resolve. Not that's effectively mean the camera costs more like $2,000. Even without that its a very cheap camera for its abilities therefore the resell value would be maintained, and possibly increased if they release an electronic mount. If they did release one then I'm sure they would be charging a little more than $3,000, so again you will still find resellers for those who want a dumb mount that they can use PL mounts, vintages lenses etc...

It's very unlikely they would release an electronic mount within a year so just enjoy having the technology at a stupidly cheap price. My point is there can never be an extreme price drop with this camera cause its already dirt cheap. The max price drop possible is $3,000 if people were reselling them for free.....

Retrospective
11-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Iris control, autofocus, etc.
thanks!

But I wouldn't want auto-focus nor focus by wire using Panasonic or Olympus lense, they drive me insane.

I really like the manual focusing ring of SLR Magic lenses.

jdwyer
11-15-2012, 12:32 PM
thanks!

But I wouldn't want auto-focus nor focus by wire using Panasonic or Olympus lense, they drive me insane.

I really like the manual focusing ring of SLR Magic lenses.

Another benefit is it allows you to use a lot more lenses as well as zooms which are are difficult to find good ones that are passive. Manual focus would still be available even on an active mount.

popcornflix
11-15-2012, 05:18 PM
I would prefer an active mount because you can use the maximum number of lenses. I never use auto-focus, but I want to set the iris.

I'd rather have a dumb MFT than nothing, but an active MFT would be better.

Retrospective
11-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Another benefit is it allows you to use a lot more lenses as well as zooms which are are difficult to find good ones that are passive. Manual focus would still be available even on an active mount.

I always thought Panasonic and Olympus lenses only do focus by wire?

Brian@202020
11-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Here is the big problem with an active mount. It's more difficult than you think, because Panasonic brand MFT lenses not only require the active mount to focus, change iris, and for image stabilization but the Panasonic MFT cameras themselves also apply in camera optical corrections to the lenses. Without these in camera optical corrections the Panasonic lenses aren't nearly as good optically. As for Olympus brand MFT lenses they do not need to be optically corrected, but Olympus MFT lenses do not have image stabilization. The Olympus MFT camera bodies themselves have the stabilization built in, so any lens mounted on an Olympus MFT camera has automatic image stabilization, even PL lenses (kind of cool). Bottom line an active MFT mount on a BMCC would not have built in stabilization like the Olympus MFT camera bodies (major hardware change), and more than likely wouldn't optically correct the Panisonic MFT lenses like they need. So for me an active MFT mount isn't that big of a deal. I'd rather get a passive MFT mount now than wait one more day for an active mount. Just my 2 cents.

EndCredits
11-16-2012, 05:34 AM
I'm hoping for a active mount so I can use my 7-14 mm lumix and some other lumix lenses. Im not to fussed about the optical correction that the Panasonic cameras do, cant be that bad with out it. the 7mm is needed for wides. I'm hoping they get an active mount out early next year. No reason for them to wait a year. If its not to difficult to do then it would hugely increase the number of lenses available to me.

EndCredits
11-16-2012, 05:49 AM
Also did the OP email this to BlackMagic?

jdwyer
11-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Also did the OP email this to BlackMagic?

No point unless they see numbers interested on a thread

EndCredits
11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Id suspect the opposite. That they would have little interest in numbers on a thread but a direct email with your comments and questions would be more informative and more likely to get a response. No guarantee but surely better than just putting it out into the wild and hoping.

jdwyer
11-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Id suspect the opposite. That they would have little interest in numbers on a thread but a direct email with your comments and questions would be more informative and more likely to get a response. No guarantee but surely better than just putting it out into the wild and hoping.

I see what your saying BUT If theres a thread on a forum which JB is often on with lots of people looking for a an active mount I imagine that would get more attention as opposed to an email. So I don't think its in the wild when it would be fair enough to imagine that they are aware of this forum and what are most active threads when one of their very own testers is often on the forum. But hey send an email if you like.

Andrew Reid
11-20-2012, 05:30 PM
The advantages of passive MFT mount are...

Canon FD
PL
OCT 19
Leica M
Voigtlander F0.95 lenses and other passive MFT lenses like the SLR Magic 12mm F1.6
PEN-F
OCT 18

Who needs the Lumix lenses? OK 7-14mm would be nice, but the rest I can leave.

For any major revision (and active MFT would be a LOT of work for nothing) I'd rather have Blackmagic concentrate on a passive E-mount and Super 35mm CMOSIS sensor.

jdwyer
11-20-2012, 05:58 PM
I just think that if we were able to use some active zooms on this it would be incredible for documentary work not just strong but incredible.