PDA

View Full Version : Other options besides buying from Macvidcars on Ebay

Justyn
10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Hey ya'll,

Just wanted to see if anyone has other options for buying graphics cards for macpros from anyone other than the ebay guy at macvidcards. They were just horrible to deal with in just a few questions I asked and have heard the same from people on other forums and blogs. I understand they are good cards, but I like to have an all around good customer service experience cause this was just not very good.

Cheers and any recommendations would probably help out a bunch of people.

Justyn

ThomasKoch
11-09-2012, 12:42 AM
With Lion and Mountain Lion, most off the shelf PC video cards (nvidia) will work. I have a EVGA GTX570 2.5gig running in my Mac just find. Just make sure you download the drivers and cuda software prior to installing the card.

To use the 6xx series cards you need Mountain Lion. 5xx will work on Lion.

Don't use one of the overclocked ones as I'm not sure they work properly.

funwithstuff
11-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Hey ya'll,

Just wanted to see if anyone has other options for buying graphics cards for macpros from anyone other than the ebay guy at macvidcards. They were just horrible to deal with in just a few questions I asked and have heard the same from people on other forums and blogs. I understand they are good cards, but I like to have an all around good customer service experience cause this was just not very good.

Cheers and any recommendations would probably help out a bunch of people.

Justyn

Yes, as the other posted noted, just go for a stock PC GTX 570 or similar. They don't show the boot screen, so you can't hold Option at boot to select an alternate boot drive (or Bootcamp), but that's really not a big deal at all. Bootchamp will boot (just once!) to your Bootcamp install for Windows if you need it to, and if you have a Mac laptop you can do any disk repairs you need to.

I recently bought a Leadtek/Winfast GTX 570 to replace my ATI 4870. FCP X works just as well as it did before, Resolve Lite now works where it didn't. Gaming in Windows is now much smoother (Skyrim in 1080p with Ultra settings) and Premiere/AE are GPU-accelerated after text file hacking.

Which card? Well, if it has 2 6-pin power ports, it should be OK. Avoid overclocked cards as they tend to require 8-pin power which the Mac Pro doesn't provide. You can adapt the existing 6-pin ports but you run a risk of overstretching the power supply. The GTX 580 in particular is too power hungry, and the GTX 6xx series still have driver issues (reports of FCP X crashes in 10.8.2 with the 660ti). The GTX 570 is apparently the current sweet spot, if you can find one. I got lucky, paying AU$220 for a never-used warranty replacement, and I think it's a reference design.

My GTX 570 is much, much quieter than the old ATI 4870, and my Mac still sleeps without any problem. I *think* there might be a small issue with waking from sleep if FCP X is running (a couple of hangs) but that's it so far. Easy enough to avoid — just quick FCP X before sleep, or avoid sleep while using it. I've edited for hours at a stretch without any problems. Good luck!