PDA

View Full Version : End result

pharpsied
03-31-2016, 11:52 AM
I'm a technical guy, but I'm also a director (narrative/documentary film, not commercials or music videos- I don't work for clients) believe there is a point where the audience is what's most important. That being said, millions of people were more than satisfied watching and awarding a movie shot on iPhones...

My question, with the URSA Mini being that badass that it is, are it's strengths more than enough to deliver a quality product for movie/TV going audiences? And if so, what can we do to make it a quality A camera for productions given the delays, slow rollout, and growing distrust of BMD's manufacturing process?

pharpsied
03-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Sorry, I need this moved to Off Topic or General Discussion...

haavard
03-31-2016, 02:01 PM
There are many factors involved.
The points you mentioned are valid, when there are so much money involved in productions, going for a tried and tested camera (and brand) makes more sense.

I've had a dead Alexa one morning on location, but within the hour, Panavision could supply a new 4:3 plus with the PV mount.
It's not always about the manufacturer customer service, but rentals having them available and providing service.

A lot of the quirks seems to be gone with the new 4.6 ursa cameras and I'm sure they'll be more common with rentals and filmmakers over time.

If a producer wants me to use C300 or FS7, etc because it fits with their in house post workflow, then I won't try to make then use the BM cameras, because if anything were to happen or if they don't know how to process the footage, then it all comes down on your reputation with them in the end.

I think with time we'll see them pop up on more productions, but I think it will be on the low budget filmmaking market and possibly they'll take a little piece of the market that the FS7 has for online promos, etc.
I don't think there is that much money to save on swapping the Alexas out on bigger films, tv shows or ads.

On a sidenote, I found Tangerine one of the more interesting films last year. It was shot on an iphone, so sure, it doesn't look great, but it didn't get too much in the way and the story was much more engaging than most of the fluff that was nominated for the Academy awards.

pharpsied
03-31-2016, 04:39 PM
The points you mentioned are valid, when there are so much money involved in productions, going for a tried and tested camera (and brand) makes more sense.

This is a great point. I hope that people would see this and work to make decisions that do raise the profile of BM camera as far as reliability and brand are concerned. I remember all the complaints about the RED ONE when it launched, but people stuck with it and look at them now.

I think with time we'll see them pop up on more productions, but I think it will be on the low budget filmmaking market and possibly they'll take a little piece of the market that the FS7 has for online promos, etc.
I don't think there is that much money to save on swapping the Alexas out on bigger films, tv shows or ads.

Another great point. It's my hope that I can produce high quality content with these cameras from outside of the system and eventually graduate to constant use with the big boys from inside, but it would also be great if I didn't have to and could bring a system I'm familiar with with me... it would also give legitimacy to others who use the same system. Again, RED's weren't in the hands of geniuses all the time, but those who were soldiered on and a rising tide lifts all ships, so to speak.

On a sidenote, I found Tangerine one of the more interesting films last year. It was shot on an iphone, so sure, it doesn't look great, but it didn't get too much in the way and the story was much more engaging than most of the fluff that was nominated for the Academy awards.

This was exactly the film I was talking about.

Timothy Cook
03-31-2016, 08:34 PM
My question, with the URSA Mini being that badass that it is, are it's strengths more than enough to deliver a quality product for movie/TV going audiences?

Yes! Very much so.

Carey Lee Coffey
04-01-2016, 07:49 PM
I'm a technical guy, but I'm also a director (narrative/documentary film, not commercials or music videos- I don't work for clients) believe there is a point where the audience is what's most important. That being said, millions of people were more than satisfied watching and awarding a movie shot on iPhones...

My question, with the URSA Mini being that badass that it is, are it's strengths more than enough to deliver a quality product for movie/TV going audiences? And if so, what can we do to make it a quality A camera for productions given the delays, slow rollout, and growing distrust of BMD's manufacturing process?

Way, way, way beyond good enough. In fact, amazing.