PDA

View Full Version : Need help with color matching...

imaj
02-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Hi all. Working on a project that was shot with my BMPCC and a Sony a7S. I have a frame from each that I will up here. Can someone help me understand how the magic is made? Thank you! I am trying to match the Sony footage as I am sure you know. :) By the way, I shot my BMPCC footage as ProRes 422 HQ on film mode.

AndyGandy
02-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Looks like you want apply Rec 709 LUT to bm footage as your first step. What software? Resolve?

DPStewart
02-13-2016, 05:38 PM
If you did not shoot a color chart with the footage, or black/grey/white cards, then you just have to do it manually using all the core principles.

You really can't just start color correcting BMPCC "film log" footage. You first have to apply a BMD film to Rec.709 LUT or some similar LUT. To just start from the Film Log and expect to match A7s footage is going to drive you nutz and take a long time if you are not an experienced colorist.

A VERY rough starting guide would be:

1. - Match your blacks. Determine something in frame that should be fully black or very close to it. Use the LIFT and/or GAMMA and look at your waveform and set the blackest blacks equally.

2. - do the same with the brightest highlights using the GAIN and/or GAMMA.

3. - Do a white balance now by (hopefully) finding something that should be pure white in the frame. Premiere and others have an automatic "dropper" that can be used to just drop/click on the pure white element. Resolve does not have this.

OK, obviously these are all VERY basic. But if you do these 3 steps first you'll find a lot of the differences have already been reduced and you'll be starting to see a match.
Without shooting a color card, you'll have to think in terms of your RG and B and ask yourself "in what way do they look different?" and start small adjustments to each channel this way.

That's the Basics.
Perhaps someone can list a flow with greater detail.

ioctober
02-13-2016, 10:26 PM
As the others have said, start with a rec 709 lut then look at the prominent colors in the shots you are trying to match (the yellows, reds, skin and cream/white color for the wall) then make sure your white point and black point have a similar color cast / IRE level and you should be golden. :)

Michael Sandiford
02-14-2016, 07:06 AM
If you have speedgrade you can do a shot match.