PDA

View Full Version : Samyang VS Rokinon - what's in a name?

Simon Shasha
10-27-2012, 01:01 PM
This is a pretty strange thing to ask, and it's kind of somewhat stupid to be honest, but I was wondering, when it comes to Samyang lenses, do you guys prefer them badged as "Samyang", or one of it's many other names (i.e. Rokinon)? The reason I ask is for the sake of re-sale value in the future - would a lens badged as "Samyang" be easier to sell as opposed to one badged as "Rokinon" or "Bower"? What do you guys think?

David
10-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I typically don't even think about resale value on a lenses that are so inexpensive. These are budget lenses. I don't have a good answer for you but if you are shooting professionally and not as a hobby, I would sincerely hope you would have earned plenty of money and not have to worry about how much you could resell your Samyangs for. Best wishes!

Simon Shasha
10-27-2012, 02:30 PM
I typically don't even think about resale value on a lenses that are so inexpensive. These are budget lenses. I don't have a good answer for you but if you are shooting professionally and not as a hobby, I would sincerely hope you would have earned plenty of money and not have to worry about how much you could resell your Samyangs for. Best wishes!

Financially, times are rather harsh for me at the moment, David. Thanks for your response.

David
10-27-2012, 02:35 PM
I think you will make or at least hope you will use your new lenses, regardless of badge, as great tool to enhance your business. I think you are safe regardless which brand you go with. I don't know that any of those 3 badges stand out from the other 2.

Frank Glencairn
10-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Well, since everybody knows that Samyang is sold under Bower, Rokinon, Walimex andwhatnot label anyway, nobody cares what sticker is on it when they buy a used lens.

Frank

Simon Shasha
10-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Well, since everybody knows that Samyang is sold under Bower, Rokinon, Walimex andwhatnot label anyway, nobody cares what sticker is on it when they buy a used lens.

Frank

I was thinking the same thing. Samyang is the original though, correct? The others are re-badged Samyangs?

Fluoro
10-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I would think Rokinon would be best. It's the name most commonly used around these parts to describe the lens so most likely to be searched for on ebay etc

cschmeer
10-27-2012, 08:00 PM
I would think Rokinon would be best. It's the name most commonly used around these parts to describe the lens so most likely to be searched for on ebay etc

Are you sure? I thought it would be Samyang. At least that's the brand I see most often.

Frank Glencairn
10-28-2012, 04:52 AM
Brand-Schmand - what counts if you sell it, is that the glass and the mechanics are in good condition IMHO

Liam
10-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Brand-Schmand - what counts if you sell it, is that the glass and the mechanics are in good condition IMHO

Haha, true Frank, but still... this is planet earth, where rats aren't the biggest infestation, humans are. Just like you see it this way, someone out there see's it COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and it could mean a sale or bust.

Smart and thought out advertising goes a long way to sell something to someone stupid.

Simon Shasha
10-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Smart and thought out advertising goes a long way to sell something to someone stupid.

Exactly! I spent two-years as a camera salesmen and I simply dealt with too many customers that were more concerned with names than performance. Like I said in my original post, this is a rather stupid and odd topic, but I'm counting every penny I have, and if I have a certain brand's badge over another that will help me with a return on my investment, even in the slightest, I can't help but be inclined to capitalise on it.

Fluoro
10-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Man I'm starting to feel sorry for ya. You should start a kickstarter campaign to buy a Zeiss ZF 25mm instead so this torturous confusion can come to an end. Everyone knows Zeiss is Zeiss...

Frank Glencairn
10-28-2012, 10:04 AM
..or buy a Zeiss sticker and slap it on the Samyang :)

mhood
10-28-2012, 10:14 AM
LOL! Well said, Frank.

Victor Nguyen
11-19-2012, 10:50 PM
This is simple, sell it base on the badge that is on the lens. Or maybe you can do something like this " Samyang/Rokinon/Bower" Samyang or Rokinon would be its most popular name though.

Dave Chin
11-20-2012, 04:45 AM
Man I'm starting to feel sorry for ya. You should start a kickstarter campaign to buy a Zeiss ZF 25mm instead so this torturous confusion can come to an end. Everyone knows Zeiss is Zeiss...

and a cosina is a cosina...