PDA

View Full Version : BMCC vfx-heavy sci-fi short

valid
01-14-2016, 08:11 PM
A short sci-fi film I directed. Shot on BMCC + a lot of CG/vfx. Filmed in London, China, and Hong Kong.

http://vimeo.com/151777169

http://alexeymarfin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/blue_eyed_me_screen08.jpg

any feedback welcome :-)

rick.lang
01-14-2016, 09:44 PM
Alexey, very impressive. Your Show Reel is a great calling card. But Blue-Eyes is quite interesting and the actress is engaging. Lots of concepts in the short, looking for a home in a feature. Do you have plans to go for a full-length piece?

DPStewart
01-14-2016, 10:03 PM
Outstanding.

Hands-Down this was the best 7-minutes I've spent all week. VERY VERY thought provoking.

Excellent story and execution.

(Alas though...I must embarrassingly admit that for nearly the entire first minute I was thinking to myself: "Why all the barrel distortion in these....AHHhhhhhhh.")

_OZ
01-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Jeezus Mohammbuddhacicles! That looked so good. Very impressive. Such a strong and stylish grade and overall look. Great on so many levels.

Sarlacc
01-14-2016, 10:49 PM
I very much enjoyed this. It looks great, lots of well thought out shots and compositions. Great VFX work. A very unique sci-fi story.

Bravo and congrats.

I do have one question/comment. Is it me or do many of the medium shots appear to be slightly soft, like right on the edge, but not tack sharp?

spinshot
01-15-2016, 12:00 AM
shots reminded me of Enter the Void and Blade Runner :)

pharpsied
01-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Pretty goddamn phenomenal!

RyLo
01-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Nice work! One question, why the decision to separate it into chapters with title cards?

Joe Giambrone
01-15-2016, 03:39 PM
You asked.

I don't think chapter two works as intended, because there's no human or fish protagonist to follow. The shots of the operation can be inserted as in chapter one, and a couple minutes cut out.

The woman could use a bit more complexity too. Something. Anything.

valid
01-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! No plans for anything full-length with this specifically - it was more experimental to test some ideas out...

Maybe some of it wasn't super sharp, yeah - it's a combination of anamorphic and fake-anamorphic shots. (which is where the barrel distortion comes from too ;) )

Originally I did have an alternate protagonist to follow in chapter 2, but I reduced his role because I wanted to focus more on that world... maybe it was the wrong decision!

PS - Creators Project did a short article on the film: http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/blue-eyed-me-premiere

Abobakr
01-15-2016, 07:09 PM
I am completely dazzled. This is one the best finest pieces I have seen anyone done with the bmcc. I remember seeing the screen grabs about a year ago and I was thrilled about it. i freaking loved it

CB_Video
01-15-2016, 11:30 PM
This confirms that it is ideas and application that make a good movie. The tools are a bit like the fish - cheap and plentiful!

valid
01-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys!