PDA

View Full Version : Storage on a trip

Unknown
12-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I could use some advice, I have a gig coming up this summer. My client asked me to shoot their holiday resorts in Europe. What are great ways to backup safely, quick and reliable? I'm away from home for about 3/4 weeks, without any internet connection. Or atleast not very fast.

Since we are traveling by car, we can hold quite some gear.

Perhaps renting a macbook pro, and a G-SPEED Studio XL 24TB. What do you think?

Thanks!

ChristianHubbard
12-29-2015, 01:51 PM
I have no advice to offer, but let me know if you need help shooting those holiday resorts in europe! :rolleyes:

Unknown
12-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Will do! Thanks for your interest. :)

jtfarabee
12-29-2015, 06:26 PM
I would recommend having multiple backups. As nice as a RAID is for archive and storage, one of the real dangers on the road is theft. I would have multiple storage drives, and keep each set in a different bag or location. Maybe even consider shipping dailies back to a home location where they could be archived and kept safe.

DPStewart
12-29-2015, 07:07 PM
I would recommend having multiple backups. As nice as a RAID is for archive and storage, one of the real dangers on the road is theft. I would have multiple storage drives, and keep each set in a different bag or location. Maybe even consider shipping dailies back to a home location where they could be archived and kept safe.

Oh boy...^--THIS--^

cmckinlay
12-29-2015, 08:26 PM
I was on tour with Cirque Du Soleil for 3 years and I had about 10-15 external hard drives with me always. All of them 1-2 TB each all spread out through my 4 bags I traveled with. Then when I had solid internet I would backup with backblaze or upload to my Synology server back in the USA. The latter was extremely time consuming unfortunately. I have no experience with Tape but perhaps a LTO would help? Just a thought. Find some used ones on ebay for cheap. Good luck on your amazing shoot!

PS. Eagle Creek travel organizers! lifesaving! I could dump out my entire suitcase and repack it in 15 seconds.
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-organizers-view-all/l/330

CB_Video
12-30-2015, 12:36 AM
You can probably pick 1 of the 3 things you asked for - safely, quick and reliable - unfortunately proper back-up with md5's and LTO's are time consuming if done right. It all depends on how much data you shoot of course.

So the things that can go wrong are many, my own experience with A-list features are to back up your media to at least 3 copies, have some check-sum scheme in place to make sure your md5's or hashes all match up on the next copy, or corruption will bite you hard.

Bit rot and corruption are very real and do happen. I've seen master files go corrupt just sitting on a drive, while the proxy that was made from it earlier is fine!
If a complete high level back-up scheme is not possible, then the more copies you make the better, plus send them via fed-ex to home - as you shoot each day - and get someone else like your editor to vet them asap.

Any of the shows I work on that shoot around the world cannot "upload dailies" to the internet - 12 TB of dailies every day would take too long! So, make at least 2 local copies and a third copy gets shipped.
If you are shooting over a long time, I would highly suggest getting another person you trust to vet those drives as you ship them "home". Plus pull a copy of those too!

If this sounds unrealistic, I guess I have seen things go badly wrong quite a few times, and re-shoots are never popular! Good luck.

Unknown
12-31-2015, 05:00 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the great advice, all great suggestions!

Frank Glencairn
12-31-2015, 05:26 AM
I usually carry a bunch of naked 3TB drives (price/space sweetspot) and 3 docking stations with me.

One for the SSD, and two for simultaneous dual backup - works like a charm.

And yeah, if you need a drone pilot for this, drop me a line - sounds like fun.

cmckinlay
01-01-2016, 06:23 PM
I usually carry a bunch of naked 3TB drives (price/space sweetspot) and 3 docking stations with me.

What do you store you naked drives in? My concern would be static electricity getting shuffled around constantly in a suitcase and frying a drive

Frank Glencairn
01-02-2016, 03:40 AM
If I have a truck, a Peli case that holds 6 and anti static bags,
on a plane, little hard cases for naked drives, that holds one each.

Phil
01-02-2016, 07:26 AM
I use these http://www.cnet.com/products/seagate-backup-plus-fast-4tb/ quite affordable, very small, very fast & 4TB of storage space!

Bigmanshawn
01-02-2016, 01:40 PM
The two biggest things for data saftey are multiple backups and different physical locations. At bare minimum I would backup to two hard drives, then when they are full send one back to the states and keep one with you. As for ruggedness I have been a big a fan of the new G-Tech ev ATC drives (which come in enclosures but can be removed for mounting in raid arrays)

Unknown
01-03-2016, 07:32 PM

Think I'm going this route to. Also I'm going to fly there so i don't think I need another drone. But i will keep this in mind.

thanks guys!

MiguelFranco
01-04-2016, 03:28 AM
I've recently done a similar shoot, but in Africa instead of Europe, and we traveled by plane. We went to Johannesburg, Luanda, Lagos and Casablanca, 3-4 weeks in total.

We were shooting with a 5D MkIII, a GoPro 4 Black and an iPhone 6, and we were just two guys. We had 3 2TB 2.5" USB3.0 drives and a 13" MacBook. Not ideal, and we relied too much in luck. We kept one of the drives in the hotel safes and each one of us had another in the backpacks that were always with us. Only in Lagos we felt we should carry the 3rd drive along with us, which felt safer for some reason... Little to no Internet for online backups, and we can't really rely on mail services to ship data back to HQ in Maputo.

It was risky but it turned out fine in the end. Would I do it again? Well, we had really no other option, but the risk is too big, we could have even more backup drives but the problems are still there.

Maybe next time I will think of something that gives some more tranquility.

Just a tip: we've done all the backups by creating disk images of the camera cards. It's a very simple process in MacOS and it saves some space in the end of the day. Then, when we arrived in HQ, we simply opened each .dmg like a camera card and logged the footage (of course, stupid iPhone 6 had to be synced through iTunes, so was always a pain in the neck).

Just a little of topic, the iPhone 6 with Filmic Pro installed was actually a good little camera, except for rolling shutter and saved us in some situations with the authorities (even though we had filming permits, it was always another problem), because they thought we were just tourists. When they saw the 5D the story was very different, and we lost so many time because of that... We also had a Lanparte HHG-01 gimbal for the iPhone (we said it was a selfie stick, so we looked even more touristy) and it worked great, ready to shoot in less than 10 secs (since it was pre balanced and we got the hang of it pretty easily), just remember to turn stabilization off in Filmic Pro.