PDA

View Full Version : Which Mount for new GH2 owner?

vidguy22
10-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I preordered with the Canon mount. I have a 7D but only a couple lenses: 50mm 1.8 and a huge
zoom 18-270 ( which I like }.

Now into GH2 land - will probably start with the 20mm 1.7 micro 4/3.

Should I stick with the canon mount, or change to 4/3?

thanks

Brian@202020
10-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Well I'd say go with the MFT mount, but there is a catch. That 20mm 1.7 won't work on it. You need to use manual MFT lenses with the MFT BMCC. There is no electronics.

vidguy22
10-26-2012, 03:40 PM
thanks Brian@202020.

Wow. Im not a real lens collector. I just grab the minimum I need. I should add I'm thinking Ill be using BMC mainly in the studio for VFX. Mainly shooting single actors. { I was hopin the canon 50 would cover that? }

I'm reordering gh2 { got a bad one,-- yep}. And am told 20mm 1.7 is the preferred lens to get.

Now I'm more confused - lol.

Steve Madsen
10-26-2012, 03:47 PM
For me, it comes down to this....for the ability to shoot fast wide angle and PL mount lenses, go MFT mount. For image stabilization, go Canon mount. As Brian said, electronic lenses are useless on the MFT mount, which is a shame.

Brian@202020
10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Basically the MFT BMCC will have infinitely more lens options when you include vintage glass and PL lenses. It will not however be able to use the electronic MFT lenses. You can still use your Canon glass with this (http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/featured/livelensmft).

vidguy22
10-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Basically the MFT BMCC will have infinitely more lens options when you include vintage glass and PL lenses. It will not however be able to use the electronic MFT lenses. You can still use your Canon glass with this (http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/featured/livelensmft).

Aha. Ok. sounds good. How upset do dealers get when you change to MFT mount? Like does December change to March 2013?

vidguy22
10-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Will BMC 2 have electronic control on the MFT mount? I mean isnt BMD an electonics company?

Brian@202020
10-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Aha. Ok. sounds good. How upset do dealers get when you change to MFT mount? Like does December change to March 2013?

It's easy to switch, just call your dealer. As for December changing to March, who knows, I hope not.

Brian@202020
10-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Will BMC 2 have electronic control on the MFT mount? I mean isnt BMD an electonics company?

Yes probably, but they haven't said anything yet, and I doubt they will for a while. I think/hope they learned from their mistake by announcing a product befor all their ducks were in a row.

vidguy22
10-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Yes probably, but they haven't said anything yet, and I doubt they will for a while. I think/hope they learned from their mistake by announcing a product befor all their ducks were in a row.

gotcha. Thanks Brian. Im thinking I should probably change to MFT

theres actually a bunch of manual lenses recommended for the GH2 as well. { for example the Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 lens ($100) and an FD to m4/3 adapter }

and shooting mainly studio, I would hope manual focus isnt a problem.

thanks

vidguy22
10-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Ooops. I'm rethinking that I likely NEED fast autofocus for what I'm doing. so Im confused again.

So back to original Canon mount?

thanks

itimjim
10-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Ooops. I'm rethinking that I likely NEED fast autofocus for what I'm doing. so Im confused again.

So back to original Canon mount?

thanks

Get learning to focus then. Auto focus on even the best cameras loses you shots. It's one area you want to really get good at. BMCC will likely never have fast autofocus.

daveswan
10-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I'd forget about auto-focus as well. IMHO it has a nasty habit of focusing on anything but the object you want in focus.

As for electronic m4/3 I don't know. It's supposed to be an open system but as Panasonic are part of the group they may not want such a strong competitor in the cine stakes to have it.

Also electronic m4/3 lenses (And I may be wrong here) are fly-by wire with no lens markings, sometimes not even FL on zooms.

Myself I'd stick to manual.

vidguy22
10-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Get learning to focus then. Auto focus on even the best cameras loses you shots. It's one area you want to really get good at. BMCC will likely never have fast autofocus.

Its not quite an issue of learning to focus. I have a particular style where autofocus can help in some cases. Is it perfect? No. But I can cutaway from the bad parts.

Im guessing 98 percent here dont need this feature, but Id like it.

I'm trying to decide WHAT MOUNT still:

I have A Canon 7d { a couple lenses only } / NEW GH2 { no lenses yet} / BMC upcoming { no
lenses yet}

thanks

daveswan
10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Well OK, but I doubt that a Canon EF lens will autofocus as well as a dedicated ENG type lens. Even the latest video orientated EF lenses may be a bit "iffy"

Perhaps if you need AF that badly you'd be better off with an ENG style camera?

I don't know. But the BMC appears to be designed with manual focus in mind.

nickjbedford
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM
The camera doesn't autofocus (yet anyway). And I have reason to believe it never will.

vidguy22
10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Well OK, but I doubt that a Canon EF lens will autofocus as well as a dedicated ENG type lens. Even the latest video orientated EF lenses may be a bit "iffy"

Perhaps if you need AF that badly you'd be better off with an ENG style camera?

I don't know. But the BMC appears to be designed with manual focus in mind.

Dave thanks for your comments. They're appreciated.

I can certainly work with manual focus, and will go that route possibly. { still waiting to be convinced } As Ive said the BMC is more a studio camera for me.

I'm still learning and open to all suggestions. My biggest issue is : I'm trying to outfit my 3 cameras
at once now. {7D/ GH2/ BMC} I still dont know whether to go with Lumix 4/3 lenses on my GH2 or canon FD, or what? and what adapter for that?

I've had intermittent experience in this business: Directed and DP'd a feature: (Arriflex 16}, for example.

I do tend to veer toward unusual approaches. { and lowest cost}

I make my rent money in a different business: hence I'm more an advanced hobbyist, who can take all the help/ suggestions I can get. thanks

John Brawley
10-28-2012, 04:39 PM
The physical design of an electronic version of m4/3 mounts was going to take *a while* so at the moment they've decided to focus on other more important things. The passive m4/3 was quite easy to do so that was considered a good compromise for those that wanted to use a wider ranger of MF lenses than the EF mount allowed.

They've always talked about doing AF and I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly appeared in a firmware update. It will never ever be fast.

JB.

nickjbedford
10-28-2012, 05:30 PM
The physical design of an electronic version of m4/3 mounts was going to take *a while* so at the moment they've decided to focus on other more important things. The passive m4/3 was quite easy to do so that was considered a good compromise for those that wanted to use a wider ranger of MF lenses than the EF mount allowed.

They've always talked about doing AF and I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly appeared in a firmware update. It will never ever be fast.

JB.

Would you suggest that it would only be prerecord AF or actual shooting AF? I know the REDs have preshoot AF and rack focusing.